It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board

• Pinky MCP dislocation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
    ace201300
    (male)

ace201300 HB User
    Pinky MCP dislocation

I dislocated my MCP joint at the left pinky (pinky knuckle joint) about 2 months ago. It happened playing basketball and the ER x-rayed my hand, then pulled the joint back in place, and then X-rayed it again. I followed up with an orthopedic doctor who said there was some soft tissue damage but surgery wouldn't be necessary. I was casted for about 2 1/2 weeks, followed by a compression glove and buddy taping. After the cast was off, I did physical therapy for about 3 weeks, 2-3 times a week. Three weeks was all the Doc prescribed so I have been done with therapy for a few weeks now, and last Monday (12/5) was the date they gave me to return to regular activities (excluding heavy weight lifting) like playing basketball.

My problem is that my hand still aches (especially in the cold weather and mornings) and I am unable to make a fist fully. When I try to grab and pick up anything more than about 5-10 pounds, it is very painful. When I try to make a fist all the way, it feels like the ligament along my pinky knuckle/outside of hand is being pulled in a way it shouldn't and is painful. The worst pain is if I inadvertently bump my hand so that my fingers get knocked/bent towards my palm. I am wondering if my ligament could be torn and if I need surgery? I never had an MRI on the hand, so is an X-ray enough to see the amount of damage done? Anyone know anything about MCP dislocations? Pinky MCP dislocations seem pretty rare with the research I have done online and I haven't been able to find much useful information. Thanks.

Last edited by ace201300; 12-12-2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread