It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board

• calcaneonavicular coalition surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
    lsto6
    (female)

lsto6 HB User
    Question calcaneonavicular coalition surgery-help!

I recently found out I have a calcaneonavicular coalition, along with a bunion (caused by the coalition). Apparently this condition is usually found in children/adolescents, but I haven't had problems until recently, and I am 27.
    I scheduled my surgery, but now that it is getting closer to my surgery date I am getting really nervous about recovery time, and what to expect afterwards.
    My dr says I'll be in a cast for 2-3 weeks, then a boot for another 2-3 weeks, followed by PT. If you had this surgery or one similar to it, how long did it take for you to recover? I am in my cousin's wedding 11 weeks after my surgery, will I be able to walk??
    What were your experiences with this surgery or type of issue??

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by lsto6; 03-16-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: forgot information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
    deege
    (female)

deege HB User
    Re: calcaneonavicular coalition surgery

Hi,

I'm one of the people who had this done as a child (I was 12). I spent 6 weeks in a cast, another 6 weeks on crutches and I had a limp for a good while after that again.

Your surgeon obviously thinks you'll heal faster than that. I never had the option of a boot, so that might be why. Those boot things are great, so you can at least get around.

You didn't say if you were a guy or girl, but if you're a girl, you shouldn't expect to be in high heels. Maybe a dress long enough to hide your feet, so you can change into comfy shoes if you need to.

My operation was originally thought to be a success, as I had a normal foot and ankle through my teenage years. I was able to play sports, wear high heels, etc. without any problem.

I'm nearly 29 now and I've discovered I have a (rare I think) complication. A few years ago I was in really bad pain, and I later discovered no cartilage had grown between where the two bones were separated, so over the years the bone has worn away - not good!

I am able to manage the pain by using orthotics and I've a really good physiotherapist. In the future I'm going to have to have a fusion operation, where they'll fuse the bones that have worn apart back together again! It seems to be the usual way they treat ankle cartilage problems in sports injuries.

Best of luck with your operation. I'm sure you'll recover as quick as your surgeon says. I'm delighted you started this thread, I would love to hear from other adults with calcanoenavicular problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to deege For This Useful Post:
    lsto6 (03-19-2012)
    Old 03-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
    misscanada
    (female)

misscanada HB User
    Re: calcaneonavicular coalition surgery-help!

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with Calcaneonavicular Coalition. Decision to be made soon on whether or not to have surgery. Wish me luck.

Last edited by misscanada; 03-19-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: updating

The following user gives a hug of support to misscanada:
    lsto6 (04-03-2012)
    Old 04-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
    misscanada
    (female)

misscanada HB User
    Re: calcaneonavicular coalition surgery-help!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by misscanada View Post
    Hi, I was recently diagnosed with Calcaneonavicular Coalition. Decision to be made soon on whether or not to have surgery. Wish me luck.
    I would like to mention that I am in my mid 40's. From what I've been reading, sounds like I will probably be having a fusion done instead of the resection......I will keep you posted.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
    lsto6
    (female)

lsto6 HB User
    Smile Re: calcaneonavicular coalition surgery

Well, it's been 6 weeks since my surgery, so I thought I'd give a little update. The surgery went well and my recovery so far has gone just as my doctor thought it would (besides some minor complications). I was 2 weeks NWB on crutches, 2 weeks in my walking boot, then progressed to walking in sneakers. I I have just started physical therapy. The physical therapy has been helping a lot, even after only 2 session so far. I can walk better with less pain, but there is still stiffness and swelling in my foot. I am really hoping a lot of that will go away as I continue the PT.

Misscanada--What did you decide about the surgery?? If you are getting a fusion, your experiences might be a little different as I had a resection with a plug put in between the bones (to keep the bones from forming back together).

The Following User Says Thank You to lsto6 For This Useful Post:
    misscanada (07-05-2012)
    Old 07-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
    misscanada
    (female)

misscanada HB User
    Smile Re: calcaneonavicular coalition surgery

Hi Isto6,

I had my surgery on May 9th, I am now 8 weeks post op. I was suppose to be in the hospital overnight but because my pain was not controlled, I was kept in 4 days. I was doing well as long as I was medicated and kept my foot up, once that foot went down, oh boy, the pressure and pain was undescribable. A week following, I developed RSD and didnt know it until 2 weeks post op. Was started on medication and referred to the Pain Clinic ASAP and saw my pain doctor 2 days later and the following week had a lumbar injection x2 sessions to put the RSD in remission. Then I went on to have an infection in my incision and treated almost 3 weeks with antibiotics. My RSD is not bothering me so much now since my lumbar injections and getting my medication under control, the infection has since cleared, I was 6 weeks nwb on account of the infection, had to keep the swelling down. Just starting walking with my boot 3 weeks ago and have been out of my boot a week. By the end of the day, the swelling is quite a bit and I have a hard time walking because of paiin. Started physio to help me regain my mobility, I am still unable to walk down stairs on account of the stiffness and swelling. I didn't have to have a fusion done, thank goodness. My doctor told me he had to chip so hard at the bone that he hit a nerve and my second small toe is still numb. He used my brevis muscle as a filler. I've readthat in the past they use to use fat as a filler and then the bones would fuse back together. There seems to be more success with the muscle as a filler as apposed to the fat. I hope you are doing much better since you've got your mobility back. I am curious as to hold old you are as this condition is usually from the ages of 8 to 21. I am 46 and this was an incidental finding. I could have gone my whole life and not know that I had this if I hadn't hurt my foot back in October.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
    lsto6
    (female)

lsto6 HB User

Hey misscanada,

Thanks for the update. It's nice to have someone to compare experiences with. I am so sorry to hear you had those complications! It's hard enough recovering from surgery and doing the PT let alone dealing with nerve problems too! I noticed after I transitioned out of my boot that my nerves along the outside top of my foot were a little sensitive. My doctor told me that happens a lot and that doing scar massage and PT would help decrease the sensitivity. However, I still don't have feeling in my second-to-smallest toe and I get random tweaks here and there.

I am 27, and I didn't find out I had this condition until earlier this year when I went to the podiatrist for pain associated with a bunion. After he saw my xrays he saw the coalition and he was very surprised that I haven't had problems until now. I played a lot of sports growing up and I am a runner (or at least I was until this problem!) and I never experienced sprains or terrible pain like it seems most people do. Although, I did often have cramps and ankle pain but I thought it was just normal from playing sports or the impact from running on concrete.
    My surgeon actually used what he called a "plug" or "implant" in between the bones rather than the brevis muscle. I'm not sure what it is made of, but it isn't a fat filler either. At the time he informed me that since I am older than most patients he has seen I most likely wouldn't be able to tolerate the plug for an extended time. Turns out he was right-I am going back in for surgery next week to have the plug removed.
    Right now my mobility is restricted and I am actually in quite a bit of pain because of the plug. Walking and even standing for long periods of time are painful. Hopefully after the surgery and some more PT I will gain more mobility and strength.

Has your doctor given you any insight into how long you might be working on getting your mobility back? I hope you keep improving and feel better soon!

Old 07-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
    misscanada
    (female)

misscanada HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lsto6 View Post
    Hey misscanada,

Thanks for the update. It's nice to have someone to compare experiences with. I am so sorry to hear you had those complications! It's hard enough recovering from surgery and doing the PT let alone dealing with nerve problems too! I noticed after I transitioned out of my boot that my nerves along the outside top of my foot were a little sensitive. My doctor told me that happens a lot and that doing scar massage and PT would help decrease the sensitivity. However, I still don't have feeling in my second-to-smallest toe and I get random tweaks here and there.

I am 27, and I didn't find out I had this condition until earlier this year when I went to the podiatrist for pain associated with a bunion. After he saw my xrays he saw the coalition and he was very surprised that I haven't had problems until now. I played a lot of sports growing up and I am a runner (or at least I was until this problem!) and I never experienced sprains or terrible pain like it seems most people do. Although, I did often have cramps and ankle pain but I thought it was just normal from playing sports or the impact from running on concrete.
    My surgeon actually used what he called a "plug" or "implant" in between the bones rather than the brevis muscle. I'm not sure what it is made of, but it isn't a fat filler either. At the time he informed me that since I am older than most patients he has seen I most likely wouldn't be able to tolerate the plug for an extended time. Turns out he was right-I am going back in for surgery next week to have the plug removed.
    Right now my mobility is restricted and I am actually in quite a bit of pain because of the plug. Walking and even standing for long periods of time are painful. Hopefully after the surgery and some more PT I will gain more mobility and strength.

Has your doctor given you any insight into how long you might be working on getting your mobility back? I hope you keep improving and feel better soon!
    I am so sorry that you had to return for surgery. I hope it works for you this time and too bad your surgeon wouldn't use the brevis muscle because as far as I am concerned, my surgery was a complete success, totally pain free, other than the post op unexpected complications. I am my surgeons first oldest patient he has ever did this surgery on. He has done a few kids but no one my age. I was his guinea pig.
    I just started PT as this is my third week. My PT told me that all of the years she has been in practice (over 35) I am her first patient with this condition. She said that she really didn't know how to treat me and had to go according to my symptoms and complaints. So far my mobility has increased considerablly. Since I started walking, almost a month now, I continue to have pain and swelling+++ only because I have been so incredibly busy getting ready for my sons high school graduation and party. Now that is over, it is time to heal.

Well I wish you all the best and please let me know how your second surgery went. Take care.

Closed Thread

Tags
    bunion surgery, foot surgery, surgery recovery, tarsal coalition