It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Small Bowel Resection Recovery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-05-2015, 11:32 PM   #1
    Gradstudent20
    (male)

Gradstudent20 HB User
    Small Bowel Resection Recovery

Would like to know what others have experienced when recovering from small bowel resection and the time it took to get to full recovery.

My (laproscopic) surgery went very well but recovery has been spotty. No problems with the incision but have had digestive system issues.

I was discharged on day 3 following surgery but had to go to the ER on day 5 after I felt "plugged up". They had to put in an NG tube and empty out my stomach for over 24 hours. Then, once I started passing gas again, I was started on liquids and then solids. On Day 3 after being readmitted (Day 8 after surgery), I was discharged.

It has now been almost four weeks since the surgery. I have lost more than 10 lb. While my bowel movements are okay, I seem to have one good day when I can eat and digest well followed by a couple of days when I barely eat a meal and feel full and uncomfortable.

The surgeon says that my recovery is probably slower than normal but cannot point to a specific cause for the slow recovery.

I am wondering if others who have gone through this surgery can share their post op experiences and time taken to full recovery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #2
    rotngut
    (female)

rotngut HB User
    Re: Small Bowel Resection Recovery

Hi GradStudent! I'm so sorry you are going thru this at such a young age! I'm rather new to all of this too just being diagnosed in June of 2014 but much older..now 50. I had ileocecal resection-with complete removal of the ileum and cecum which was the size of a coke can and 98% blocked, as well as the appendix and 1/5 of my colon in Jan 2015. In addition to this surgery I also underwent a Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair at the same time. Since surgery I too had weight loss, diarreah, later began to have cramping, fullness feeling followed by bloating, joint pain, neurological symptoms-i.e. memory loss, inability to focus, concentrate, multi task, and follow simple instructions. This week I was told by my GI that I have SIBO (Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) my Rheumatologist said my enteropathic arthritis is back as well due to my gut acting up. I hope that none of this applies to you but if you begin to notice bloating or distention in your stomach and the fullness feeling continues along with diarreah OR constipation, you may want to look into SIBO as a possible culprit. Good luck and stay strong!

Reply Reply

Tags
    post op, small intestine, surgery recovery