It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

SEVERE abdominal pain, then blood?!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
ThreeEyedRaven
(female)

ThreeEyedRaven HB User
SEVERE abdominal pain, then blood?!

Hello! I am brand new to these forums and I signed up to ask everyone's opinion as to what this may be, and also to calm my nerves a bit about it. I'm a 24 year old female with no known physical illnesses, though I have been diagnosed with a multitude of mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety, borderline personality disorder, and PTSD.

Last night I suddenly had the urge to go to the bathroom really, really bad... so I went thinking I was about to have diarrhea. But nothing happened. For a long time I sat, starting out just crampy feeling then eventually it turned into the most severe pain I have ever felt in my life. I've had two children and it was very comparable to being in labor, but maybe even worse. It was so bad that the pain made me throw up twice. It lasted for 20 minutes, and all throughout I would have small bouts of diarrhea. After the worst was over I laid down in bed and felt very crampy, dull and achey all through the night and into today.

This morning when I woke up I felt okay for about an hour, then had the sudden urge that I HAD to go again. Before I even made it to the bathroom I knew I had leaked a bit but I when I looked in my underwear it was a glob of watery, mucousy dark red blood. Again, thought I had diarrhea, but when I looked in the toilet it was only this dark red bloody mucous.

I've had the urge to go to the bathroom probably close to 15 times today and each time only a little would come out, sometimes very soft stool, but always with a bit of the dark red blood and mucus.

I do not have a primary care doctor at the time so I have no one to call, and right now my only option is go to the emergency room. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what this could be and if it sounds severe enough to warrant an all-night ER trip... I'm thinking bloody mucus diarrhea is probably good enough reason, but if it sounds like something that can wait until I get into the doctor I'd rather not sit around in the ER for hours only to be told to call the doctor... ya know? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
rufous57
Senior Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: SEVERE abdominal pain, then blood?!

Is there any kind of urgent care or walk in clinic? If not, then the ER, but I would not wait around, blood in the stool needs to be seen by a doctor asap.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
Thuja
(female)

Thuja HB User

Hello - I would not wait. It could be diverticulitis, go to an ER asap.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #4
ThreeEyedRaven
(female)

ThreeEyedRaven HB User

Hello, thank you both for your replies! Just wanted to update with where I'm currently at.

I spoke to a doctor on call and he said that they probably wouldn't be able to diagnose me at the emergency room and to wait until the morning to schedule an appointment. I won't be seen until Tuesday. The pain has mostly subsided but there is still a little bit of blood in my stools, which are less frequent than yesterday but still very soft. If the pain gets as bad as it was before Tuesday I will definitely be going to the ER. Doctor on call said the symptoms sound like ulcerative colitis and I will need to have a colonoscopy.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #5
rufous57
Senior Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

They could have done a CT scan at the ER; for that matter, they could have done a colonoscopy at most ER's as well. My DH had similar symptoms- I had to drag him to the ER-both times he was admitted to the hospital that same day. Those symptoms need immediate attention imho.

Reply Reply