It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• PPH Recovery - Positive Story

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
    MrsPeppa81
    (female)

MrsPeppa81 HB User
    Smile PPH Recovery - Positive Story

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting to this board although I have been following it for some time now. I was researching experiences with PPH Hemorrhoidectomy recovery and I found very few positive experiences. I wanted to post this to try and put another POSITIVE experience out there as I know how scared I was reading all of the negative and horrific experiences that people were unfortunate to have. I hope that all these people have finally found comfort and are on the road to recovery. But today I would like to tell my story.

First a little background, I am a soon-to-be 34 year old mother of 3. My last two pregnancies were right on top of each other and I think that this is what contributed to my condition. I had my first ever set of hemorrhoids during my third pregnancy (almost 4 years ago). They were so painful that nothing I did relieved the discomfort and being that I was expecting, there was not much I could do other than take sitz baths and use creams. You never realize how much you use the muscles down there until you have a painful set of hemorrhoids in that area. Every movement was excruciating. My midwife said I had prolapsed internal hemorrhoids that she felt could be treated. She was able to tuck them back in for me (even though they were the size of two grapes at the time) and I felt instant relief. As soon as I stood up though, they proceeded to fall out again. She gave me a steroid cream to apply and told me to take 3-4 sitz baths a day. On and off over these last four years I battled these hemorrhoids. I would bleed on occasion. It got to the point that I couldn't even go running without having to sit in a sitz bath afterwards because the 'roids had reared their ugly heads again. And the PAIN. Oh my gosh the pain. I couldn't go anywhere that I was on my feet for too long because a trip to the bathroom would be in order to push them back inside. Not my favorite thing to do, but a necessity unless I wanted additional pain and bleeding later. After 4 years, enough was enough. I made an appointment with a colorectal surgeon who went over all my options thoroughly. I was lucky enough to have only prolapsed internal hemorrhoids. Banding, infrared coagulation, stapled PPH, and traditional hemorrhoidectomy were my choices. I opted for the stapled PPH.

I had surgery yesterday (12/11/15) and today is post-op day one.

Surgery day:
    Went in at 7:30, I was in the surgery suite by 9:00. The nurses and staff were amazing. My colorectal surgeon was phenomal at explaining the procedure again in pre-op. I was starting with a migraine prior to the procedure but they continued on as my vitals were great. The whole thing took less than an hour. I woke up in recovery with some pain and pressure in my bottom (about an 8 on a scale of 1-10 for me, but I have a high pain tolerance due to chronic daily migraines). My nurse was great at staying on top of my pain. I was able to get up and urinate (which I won't lie, was a tad difficult). Getting up made me nauseous so I was given some Zofran. I spent about an hour in recovery and my nurse gave me a valium and a Percocet prior to me getting dressed and leaving. I slept in 2 hour increments all day, only waking to pee, which got easier each time. However, the nausea persisted. My migraine also continued throughout the day but I was scared of taking additional medications so I simply used an ice-pack on my head to make things bearable. I took another dose of valium, my prescribed oxycodone, and some Colace prior to going to bed.

Post-op day 1
    I slept well but woke but with the pressure/sore pain feeling in my bottom at around 4:30am. Pain was about a 4 at this point, and I still had a migraine. Got up and attempted to have a BM but only passed gas. Small victories, right? Then I had a piece of toast, drank some Metamucil and took some Ibuprofen and went back to bed. Awoke at 7:00 with more pressure and a migraine (still), was able to pass more gas but I ate some more toast and took another valium and more Oxycodone. Trying to stay really hydrated. I finally got brave enough to take my Fiorinal for my migraine and it went away. Yay! I ate some pancakes for breakfast and went back to sleep until 12:30. As of this evening I haven't had a bowel movement but I continue to pass gas and urinating is no longer a problem (except for peeing a lot from all the fluids). All in all, I'd say this has been a pretty positive experience so far. We'll see if I'm still singing that tune when I finally have a bowel movement. Which my surgeon says can take up to 48 hours post-op. Sorry for the length of this post but I'll try to keep you all posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
    MrsPeppa81
    (female)

MrsPeppa81 HB User
    Re: PPH Recovery - Positive Story

This is part 2 to the above post:

Post-op day 2
    Still sore but not as bad as before. Not able to have BM but I've been able to pass gas with minimal pain. Unfortunately I have to be sitting on the toilet to do it. A little blood comes out when I pass gas as well, but nothing too horrific. Making sure to stay on top of my vitamins, pain meds, Valium, colace and fiber. I also took one Senokot to see if it would help move things along. By bedtime I still had not passed stool so I took a TBSP of mineral oil mixed with apple juice.

Post-op day 3

Woke up with urged to pass stool. But alas, it was just more gas. After passing gas, I still felt more pressure. I decided to use a liquid glycerin suppository and finally had success! Stool was easy to pass with minimal pain. I had some spasms afterwards which were more painful than the BM itself. I cannot stress the importance of using a foot stool while you are trying to have a BM. It makes things so much easier! I sat in a warm site bath afterwards and this relieved some discomfort. Valium, oxy, and ibuprofen took care of the rest. I'm making sure to stay hydrated and I'm trying to move around as tolerated even though I tire easily. I'll continue to update until I'm fully recovered. God bless!

Old 12-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #3
    MrsPeppa81
    (female)

MrsPeppa81 HB User

Post-op day 4
    I have one thing to suggest if no one has tried it: liquid glycerin suppositories if you're able to with no pain. These have made such a difference! I'm only taking pain meds twice a day and I take mineral oil before bed. The narcotics make my bowels slow so I figured the glycerin would help overcome this and it has. The BMs aren't painful, it's the spasms after that do me in. The Valium and sits baths really help.

Post-op day 5

I took a stroll around the mall today and this really tired me out, but I managed to do so without pain. I think I'll be ready to return to work on Monday (12/21). I'd like to be off the narcotics by then.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
    MrsPeppa81
    (female)

MrsPeppa81 HB User

Post op days 6-8

It's been awhile since I've been on, for those who are following. It certainly hasn't been because I took a turn for the worse things have steadily continued to get better during post-op days 6-8. I'm SO glad I had this done. Bowel movements are still not my favorite thing but they get better each day. I've had almost no bleeding during this whole process. I've stopped taking mineral oil at bedtime but continue to take my Colace and Senokot in the morning and afternoon so that I stay regular and keep BMs soft. If any of you are having trouble with BMs post-op, I highly suggest mixing some mineral oil with juice or a clear soda-pop and drinking it before bedtime. I went from 1TBSP to 2 TBSPS and this did the trick perfectly. Once I stopped narcotics, I stopped the mineral oil. I only take 1 senokot and 2 Colace in the morning and I do the same at night. I continue to take Ibuprofen for any residual swelling but I no longer have spasms or pain (only occasionally after a BM). I think walking has been a big factor in my progress as well as having a good colorectal surgeon do this procedure. The only downside is my parents and nephew came to visit and brought the stomach flu with them. And I unfortunately got it during this time. No bueno for my family or my bum. One minor set back in what was something that I was fearing with every fiber of my being.

Post op day 10

Back at work today, no more stomach flu. I probably could have come on Friday but I figured what was the point? Still a little tired but luckily I have a desk job. I have a two week follow-up coming up soon. I'll say again, get a good colorectal surgeon, do what they tell you and you will be fine! I was terrified after reading all the horror stories and I am so sorry that people have had to go through this. I have not experienced urgency with my BMs (aside from the flu! HAHA), no lingering pain, as a matter of fact, aside from being easily tired out, I feel like myself. Do your research into a good COLORECTAL surgeon, follow their instructions to the letter. Do NOT let a general surgeon do this. 99% of the surgeries they do are gall bladder removals and appendectomies, and while they are most likely great at these, don't trust your bottom to them. This will be my last post as I don't feel anything I have to add after this will be of benefit to anyone. Good luck and speedy recoveries to anyone getting ready to do this!

Old 01-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #5
    dh23
    (male)

dh23 HB User

Thanks for your post I could really use some advice. I just had the pph 12 days ago. Gas is one of my biggest issues as it seems like it's swollen and hard to pass. Also after my bm which do not hurt I still have what feels like small swelling on one side it's not hard and when I stand it's no longer there. Did this happen to you and how long did it take before you felt completely healed. I have no pain just feels swollen down there worried something went wrong. I to had the stomach flu the worst and that's wheni felt the selling come back. When you had diarrhea sorry to be so blunt did you feel like you became swollen down there again. Thanks again I hope to hear from you..

Old 01-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #6
    MrsPeppa81
    (female)

MrsPeppa81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dh23 View Post
    Thanks for your post I could really use some advice. I just had the pph 12 days ago. Gas is one of my biggest issues as it seems like it's swollen and hard to pass. Also after my bm which do not hurt I still have what feels like small swelling on one side it's not hard and when I stand it's no longer there. Did this happen to you and how long did it take before you felt completely healed. I have no pain just feels swollen down there worried something went wrong. I to had the stomach flu the worst and that's wheni felt the selling come back. When you had diarrhea sorry to be so blunt did you feel like you became swollen down there again. Thanks again I hope to hear from you..
    I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time with swelling. I'm not sure what you're doing for the swelling but I took Ibuprofen religiously (every six hours) my surgeon said this would help with the swelling. I made sure to jump into a tub of hot water after every BM and at least twice a day. These two things seemed to help a lot. So if you can take Ibuprofen, I would add that to your regimen. My nurse said I should start at 400mg and move up 200mg at a time from there to see what helped. As for the swelling after diarrhea, I don't remember feeling any more swollen than before hand. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with the Ibuprofen and sitz baths immediately after using the toilet. It was something I was scared of though. All my hemorrhoids were prolapsed but internal so I don't know if that makes a difference in our symptoms? I have noticed a VERY small skin tag but from what I've seen others post this is common, and it's so small I don't feel it unless I'm looking for it.

I'm 3 weeks and change post-op but I felt really good down there around day 10 even though I still got tired easily. I definitely didn't have any noticeable swelling by day 10. The fatigue let up at about the 2 1/2 week mark. I plan on going back to the gym today (which I haven't done for MONTHS due to the hemorrhoid issue and subsequent surgery). Has your stomach flu gone away? Perhaps the swelling will begin to let up now.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #7
    dh23
    (male)

dh23 HB User

Thanks so much for replying. Well I have since been back to my surgeon who is a colorectal surgeon. I agree it's best to find a good one. Mine is young but he is well mannered so I trust him. The swelling I found out is from what he describes as external hemorrhoid that are just inside so really I can't see them unless I have a bm. My doctor is now suggesting the full hemmorectory in order to be clear of these things which you can only imagined how I felt after dealing with this. I'm on day 15 now one thing I noticed is my bm are moving better but the urge to go right away in the morning is very strong. Also sorry to be so graphic but I continue to struggle with passing wind. You said after ten days you were fine. Does that mean you didn't have any achy feeling at all after bm are anything. I find icing and sits bath do help but I get a crazy urge to go every morning did you experience this? I do think I'm getting better but definitely still feeling what seems to be hemorrhoid after a bm which is sad. Mine seem to be more on the sides I believe internal hemorrhoids are more a pinkish color while these are a bluish color. I do have skin tags from this surgery. Did you ever have to use anything for irritation after surgery seems to itch at times.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #8
    MrsPeppa81
    (female)

MrsPeppa81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dh23 View Post
    Thanks so much for replying. Well I have since been back to my surgeon who is a colorectal surgeon. I agree it's best to find a good one. Mine is young but he is well mannered so I trust him. The swelling I found out is from what he describes as external hemorrhoid that are just inside so really I can't see them unless I have a bm. My doctor is now suggesting the full hemmorectory in order to be clear of these things which you can only imagined how I felt after dealing with this. I'm on day 15 now one thing I noticed is my bm are moving better but the urge to go right away in the morning is very strong. Also sorry to be so graphic but I continue to struggle with passing wind. You said after ten days you were fine. Does that mean you didn't have any achy feeling at all after bm are anything. I find icing and sits bath do help but I get a crazy urge to go every morning did you experience this? I do think I'm getting better but definitely still feeling what seems to be hemorrhoid after a bm which is sad. Mine seem to be more on the sides I believe internal hemorrhoids are more a pinkish color while these are a bluish color. I do have skin tags from this surgery. Did you ever have to use anything for irritation after surgery seems to itch at times.
    Well I can't say I ever had the strong urge to go, though lots of people have described that symptom and most have said that it passes. I guess I was just lucky, or perhaps my problem wasn't as bad as others, or maybe it has to do with my age (I'm 34). I've heard placement of the staples can play into symptoms. Too high or too low can cause issues, supposedly. My surgeon has over 20 years experience, and go figure, he's one of the only ones in town! So I lucked out there as well. I would have traveled for a good surgeon if I needed to though.

As for external hemorrhoids, I can't really speak much on this from personal experience as mine were internal and prolapsed. Anyone who says internal hemorrhoids do not hurt must have never had a prolapsed one that doesn't want to stay inside. They can be EXTREMELY painful, to the point where nothing is comfortable. I never realized how much humans depend on that part of our body until I had hemorrhoids. Every movement is tied to that area and is excruciating if you're having a flare-up. I've heard that external are miserable and I'm sorry you're going through that. :0(

Don't worry about saying too much or getting too detailed. I've been a nurse for 8 years and there's nothing you can tell me that will phase me. :0) So by day 10 my soreness was gone, I was able to sit comfortably and walk around easily. BMs were virtually painless and I didn't have any more spasms at that point. I have noticed that if it's a few days without me using the bathroom and my BM is a little larger than normal, I feel a little sore during. But if it's a normal size BM, I don't feel anything. My bleeding stopped after day 3 if I remember correctly and there was never very much blood. I haven't had any further irritation since before the surgery. Your surgeon's advice may be best but if I were you, I'd find a more seasoned colorectal surgeon and get their opinion first before shelling out more money for surgery and putting yourself through additional pain. My surgeon is kind of an odd duck in the bedside manner department but he's a GENIUS in the surgery suite. I'm blessed for that. I REALLY hope you feel better soon! And feel free to ask me any additional questions. I don't mind. :0)

Old 01-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #9
    ScaredinCanada
    (male)

ScaredinCanada HB User

I think I might be going in for this Surgery in the not too distant future and I'm really scared.

I have pretty bad IBS but I don't even know what is problems from IBS and what is problems from my Bowel just being really irritated by my Stage 3 Prolapsed Hemorrhoids.

Is it normal to not be able to pass gas (fart) when you have significant Prolapsed Hemorrhoids? If I try to squeeze out a fart one of my Bulges will pop out along with whatever mucous discharge or whatever is attached to it at the moment.

Is this normal with very large Internal Hemorrhoids?

I'm going to have to go in for Surgery in the near future I think and I'm hoping it's the PPH Surgery.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:41 AM   #10
    MrsPeppa81
    (female)

MrsPeppa81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ScaredinCanada View Post
    I think I might be going in for this Surgery in the not too distant future and I'm really scared.

I have pretty bad IBS but I don't even know what is problems from IBS and what is problems from my Bowel just being really irritated by my Stage 3 Prolapsed Hemorrhoids.

Is it normal to not be able to pass gas (fart) when you have significant Prolapsed Hemorrhoids? If I try to squeeze out a fart one of my Bulges will pop out along with whatever mucous discharge or whatever is attached to it at the moment.

Is this normal with very large Internal Hemorrhoids?

I'm going to have to go in for Surgery in the near future I think and I'm hoping it's the PPH Surgery.
    Sorry I took so long to reply. I haven't logged in for awhile obviously! :0)

I'm sorry about the IBS, I can't imagine having to deal with hemorrhoids AND IBS at the same time. As for not being able to pass gas, I would first ask you, have you mentioned this to your doctor? I don't know that I would say that it's "normal" not to be able to pass gas with large internal hemorrhoids but I WOULD say that difficulty passing gas would make sense. All that swelling makes the opening to the anus and rectum smaller, hence the more swelling, the smaller the passage way. Keep in mind that any straining will cause your hemorrhoids to swell and possibly come out. I know I had some difficulty passing gas prior to my surgery but it wasn't all the time. Laying down or being on the toilet when I passed gas seemed to help things along, but this could be because of the location of my hemorrhoids (I only had one column towards the front that was swollen and prolapsed). Make sure you're putting your feet up on a stool (if you're not already) when you're on the toilet, this helps immensely when passing gas and having a BM.

If you've decided to have surgery, good luck with everything! I'm really glad I had it done and would do it all over again if I needed to.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #11
    ScaredinCanada
    (male)

ScaredinCanada HB User

I haven't gone in for Surgery yet. I don't even see my Surgeon till February 11th. Right now is a very trying time for me. I have no idea why they have all of a sudden become VERY symptomatic but every day is pain. There's too much Tissue down there. I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I've showed Pictures to a friend who is a Nurse and she seems to think I've got two problems going on. Large Prolapsing Internal Hemorrhoids and a Rectal Prolapse. The Rectal Prolapse though is really weird because it's not like any thing is turning itself inside out. More like I just have a ton of Skin down there that normally shouldn't be there. I've kind of come to accept my situation though. I really don't think my Doctor is going to suggest PPH anymore. I will be shocked if I can just Staple what I have back up inside of me because it's too large and swollen and with whatever else is going on there's just too much Tissue. I have a feeling I'm going to be getting the Traditional Hemorrhoidectomy. I've already come to accept the fact that this is going to mean significant pain but I've heard enough positive stories that I'm hoping on the Positive myself.

The Surgeon I'm going to see is world renowned. He's actually teaching at the next ASCRS Convention which is the Governing Body for all the Colorectal Surgeons in Canada and the US. Plus my Father, who beat Rectal Cancer into Remission, had to have a large Tumor removed from his Anus by a Member of the same Team that the Surgeon I'm going to see is a part of. Meaning that most likely they will be using the same Methods to Operate. My Dad said it was uncomfortable and it was painful but at no time did he think this was too painful for himself to handle. He said that when his Recovery was Complete he even had like 3/4s of the Bottle of Pain Pills that the Doctor had prescribed to him left over because he wasn't attempting to stay ahead of the pain since he said that the pain itself wasn't all that bad. He just used his Pills when things were getting to the point where he was having trouble accepting the pain.

I just really want to get this pressure out of my Rectum because it's driving me crazy. I haven't even really been out of my PJs since the beginning of January. I've been able to start passing gas on my own again (I don't know why???) but it's accompanied by the worst cramps imaginable and this URGENT need to get whatever is in me out. Then when I release the Gas the Hemorrhoids pop out with whatever tissue they are attached to.

The strange part really is that when I took pictures to show my Doctor what things looked like after a Bowel Movement (he looked at my Butt normally and said that I didn't have an issue.... completely changed his mind and sent a Rush Order to the Colorectal Surgeon I'm going to see after I showed him pictures of the Aftermath)... anyways, when I look at the Pictures I can see the full Hemorrhoids. It's like they are prolapsing on top of another part of me that is prolapsing.

I have no idea what's going on and I'm scared by it but since I already have Faith in my Doctor I think I'm just going to try to hold on for another 15 days and see what he says. I've already made it through 5 weeks, another 2 won't kill me but being cooped up at home in bed for the most part is starting to drive me nuts. Then I'm going to need to add another week or two to this once I have the Operation.

Reply Reply