It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Who has had an appendectomy and has gastric/bowel issues?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #1
    Prairie Fairie
    (female)

Prairie Fairie HB User
    Question Who has had an appendectomy and has gastric/bowel issues?

I was just reading an article about the possible function (yes it may have one) of the appendix and how it may be responsible for helping maintain gut health and also be a part of the immune system.

Anyway, I had my appendix removed as part of major surgery when they found ovarian cancer. Ever since my surgery, I've had issues with my gut and bowel. They range from non h.pylori gastritis (which is current and on-going) to a total bowel obstruction which has been coming on for years due to repeated bouts of pain and inflammation.

So, I was wondering if anyone has had their appendix removed for reasons other than it bursting or being in a bad state and later developing stomach and bowel issues.

Last edited by Prairie Fairie; 01-28-2016 at 05:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Who has had an appendectomy and has gastric/bowel issues?

I had also read about the appendix being important for immune function although I don't recall specifics about digestive functions. However, pelvic surgery can cause problems with digestion and can also cause bowel obstruction. This is particularly true of hysterectomy due to the repositioning of the bowel as well as the formation of adhesions (scar tissue). My bowels (and bladder) have never worked properly since my hysterectomy and oophorectomy.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:21 PM   #3
    Prairie Fairie
    (female)

Prairie Fairie HB User

Hi StLouisgal,

I've been in a similar boat with my bowel, less so my bladder. I've still got one ovary. Adhesions caused my bowel to obstruct back in 2014. It took years for that to happen though. Surgery was in 2005, but had pain fairly regularly and it actually started in the gut and would work its way south. I'm just curious. I emailed the professor who was part of the research regarding the function of the appendix and asked if there had been any retrospective studies on appendix removal (where it was more a precaution than due to rupture or disease) and intestinal issues. I hope I get a response, and/or they consider it as a way to support or negate some of their research somehow.

Last edited by Prairie Fairie; 01-28-2016 at 08:21 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Prairie Fairie:
    rufous57 (02-02-2016)
    Old 01-29-2016, 05:13 AM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I am curious to hear the professor's response.

My surgery was in 2006 and my bowel is also more of a problem than my bladder. I do have occasional pelvic pain which I think is due to my bowel not emptying properly.

My mother had a bowel obstruction many (probably 30) years after an appendectomy. The surgeon attributed it to the appendectomy since that was her only surgery.

The following user gives a hug of support to STLouisgal:
    rufous57 (02-02-2016)
    Old 01-29-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
    Prairie Fairie
    (female)

Prairie Fairie HB User

He replied rather promptly, which was impressive. I have mad respect for a busy individual that takes time for a stranger!

Basically, he said that because appendectomy is such a common surgery that they expect it to be associated with almost everything, occasionally by random chance. He did elaborate a bit on my personal idiosyncrasies, but made clear that he was not offering advice, as it would be unethical. Basically, he deemed the major surgery like (you and) I have had is probably what's caused much of our bowel issues.

The research they have found appears to indicate more involvement with the large intestine and less so the stomach (which is where I have some of my issues, but it's generalized also to the small and probably large intestine).

From what I read and understand, I don't think there has been any major research looking at previous appendectomies (where the appendix wasn't the actual complaint) and bowel issues later on. If there has, the data might have been a bit ambiguous, or hard to determine what caused what, if that makes sense. Not trying to put words into the professor's mouth by any means. He was friendly and personable.

Reply Reply

Tags
    appendectomy, bowel, gastritis, obstruction, small intestine