It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• What does this sound like? (abdominal cramping)

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-24-2016, 11:42 PM   #1
    lily111
    (female)

lily111 HB User
    What does this sound like? (abdominal cramping)

In November I had a UTI. I was treated for it with antibiotics but during that time I had some rectal itching. I thought nothing of it and eventually I felt fine.

In early December I noticed my lower abdomen felt a little distended (maybe by a cm or so) but not uncomfortable. I worried I may be pregnant but tests came back negative. I admit that I kept joking with my husband that I was pregnant and would push my belly out as far as I could sometimes and be like "Look at me, I'm pregnant!" A few days after the last time I did this I felt a pain in my lower colon. That's not too uncommon for me as I have IBS and when I'm constipated I can really feel it, plus I'm very petite so I'm quite compact as it is. I figured I'd probably strained a muscle while pushing my belly out and that my bowel movements were triggering the pain by pressing on my muscles. It started getting really bad and I was freaking out. It probably felt a lot worse because I was having anxiety about it, but I went to the doctors and was referred for a CT scan. I'm still waiting on the CT scan over a month later. My symptoms aren't as bad as they were when they felt truly terrible, which was around the beginning of the new year. I can function every day and don't have any troubles, but I do just have this niggling feeling in my lower left side like something is being tugged on. I will also get pain around my belly button and it will travel from the right to the left and will feel like I have a stitch/bubble under my left rib cage, I usually feel better once I've passed gas. It's as though the pain follows my stools/gas as they travel around my intestines. I poke around at my abdomen a lot when I get a pain, trying to figure out where it is coming from, but I can never find a source. I'm very tender around my belly button but I feel as though I always have been. I've gone from worrying that I have Ovarian Cancer to worrying that I have Pancreatic Cancer to wondering if I have got a bacterial infection as a result of my antibiotics. My pancreas was tested for enzymes and everything came back normal, as did a h.pylori test. My stools have been pretty normal. I was constipated for a while and they were quite pale lately, but now they're a normal color and consistency but I have rectal burning every single time. My pain is worse if I have been sat or crouched down a lot during the day. If I am up and about, doing things and walking around my symptoms won't be there until I've sat down for a while. I do tend to sit with my knees up, but I've been trying to make an effort to put my legs down.

It's been three months now and it has been constant, but it hasn't been getting worse and I am not fatigued or anything. I've had no bloody/tarry stools, no vomiting or nausea, just abdominal pain. I was diagnosed with a twisted ribcage over a year ago, saying my bottom ribs were not in the right place. I assume this is the same as slipping rib syndrome but I'm not sure how that would affect intestinal issues. My ribs are very tender though and I have had chronic back pain too, right where my bottom ribs meet my spine.

Has anyone got any ideas? Anyone been through anything similar?

Last edited by lily111; 02-24-2016 at 11:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
    rufous57
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
    Re: What does this sound like? (abdominal cramping)

Why has it taken over a month for a CT scan (or at the very least an Ultrasound)? I would be calling my doctor if it was me, pain near the navel or left side could be a lot of things, but any abdominal pain lasting this long needs more testing. The rectal itching could possibly be from hemmorhoids, which come from straining and constipation, but your doctor should have been able to tell you when you had your exam. If it is just itching, ask your doctor if Preparation H or witch hazel might help.

I hope you can get that CT done, please let us know how it goes.

The Following User Says Thank You to rufous57 For This Useful Post:
    lily111 (02-25-2016)
    Old 02-25-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
    lily111
    (female)

lily111 HB User
    Re: What does this sound like? (abdominal cramping)

Because I don't drive or have a phone, so I waited until I knew when my husband would be able to get off work to drive me and have been trying to make an appointment with the imaging place via email. I asked them to check my patient portion with my insurance and they said they'd get back to me asap. That was on Monday. I emailed yesterday saying I really need to book the appointment and asked how long it would be before I hear back from them but still nothing. Going to wait until tomorrow afternoon and if they don't respond I'll have to have my husband call them while he's at work. I don't have the itching now and haven't since the beginning of December, I just thought that it may have indicated the start of a bacterial infection perhaps. I haven't had an exam done by my doctor, just the blood test and h.pylori test.

Reply Reply

Tags
    abdominal, bowels, cramps, intestinal, pain