It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Severe Bowel Problems Ignored by Doctors

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-23-2016, 04:34 AM   #1
    RaptorGirl
    (female)

RaptorGirl HB User
    Angry Severe Bowel Problems Ignored by Doctors

Hello, I am new to this forum so forgive me if this is long.
    7 years ago I caught an unknown viral infection, this caused me to lose control of my bowels on 3 separate occasions (each a month or so apart). The first time was on my 16th birthday (thank you God for your gift). This dramatic change in bowel habits lasted roughly 1 year. During that year I underwent various testing including blood tests, lactose intolerance, fructose intolerance, celiac disease, colonoscopy, etc. All of which came back healthy. So my GP diagnosed me as having IBS, I quote him "We don't know what's wrong with you so we shall just diagnose you as having Irratable Bowel Syndrome and no further tests will be relevant."

For most of those 7 years I have had constant alternations between diarrhea and constipation. I am intolerant to so many foods and I am a fussy eater so I don't get much choices food wise.

Starting last year though my bowels have completely turned around. I started getting severe constipation and would go once a week. I started having bowel incontinence as a result, after a week - fortnight I would have bouts of diarrhea and the incontinence dissipated. I had 3 episodes of chronic pain in my abdomen in which I couldn't move and was relieved after 3 hours.
    So 8 months ago I demanded tests to be done and my GP ordered an X-RAY and blood tests. My blood was healthy but my bowels were distended. My GP explained that it was normal and would go away with time.
    5 weeks ago I went back to my GP because I had not had a bowel movement for 15 days. My GP said doing another x-ray was pointless and I did not need any other tests. He prescribed me Microlax enemas twice daily for a week and nothing happened. He prescribed me picolax afterwards, nothing happened. He then said I have an obstruction and must go to the emergency ward to be treated.

I went thinking this will finally be sorted out. I was wrong. I was given 2 oral laxatives in 8 hours both in which didn't change anything. I was also given a fleet enema with emptied my lower bowels fine. I still felt full and was still in pain. They did X-RAYS and bloodwork and all came back with no indications of disease or obstruction. I had told them about my narrow stools, incontinence, mucus, blood, tar, neurological problems, etc, and still nothing was taken into consideration.
    I was sent home to organise my own ultrasounds and colonoscopy.

To top it off I am still in pain, I am still passing small and extremely thin mucus covered stools, I am still occasionally bleeding, I still have muscle weakness and can't tell when I've passed a stool. The worst part of all of this is that I am constantly having to change my underwear and having to wear a liner day AND night. I am uncomfortable and seriously depressed.

Has anyone gone through anything similar and have any advice?

****SIDE NOTES****
    I have been diagnosed a pre-diabetic but am awaiting a second test (oral glucose) to confirm that. I have ALL the symptoms of diabetes/MS/Parkinsons/etc yet my doctors refuse to do thorough testing saying I am too young to have these.
    I also have lordosis and an abnormal pelvis which is causing lower back pain.
    My GP admits that ALL of my symptoms connect and would be alarming if I was older but despite that and despite my family medical history is full of bowel cancer, diabetes and ms I am being told it is all my anxiety playing up.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-23-2016 at 09:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    cancer, diabetes, ibs, incontinence, suicide