It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Painful BMs, bright red blood, diarrhea

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-14-2016, 12:31 AM   #1
    tired25
    (female)

tired25 HB User
    Painful BMs, bright red blood, diarrhea

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I've been having painful bowel movements with varying amounts of blood. When it first started a couple of months ago, it was small amounts. Kind of like streaks or small spots on the stool (not mixed with it). I thought it might be hemorrhoids because I've had hypothyroidism for 5 years now and constipation has been a symptom I've had to deal with because of that disorder. I've also been on prescription OTC NSAIDs for the past 3 years and for the past 8 months I've been on Plaquinel for undifferentiated inflammatory arthritis. I take both the Plaquinel and NSAID with a meal, as instructed by my doctor.

I started drinking more water and making a conscious effort to eat more fiber, even though I already eat plenty of vegetables and whole grains. I also cut back on my prescription NSAID because I noticed that the painful BMs just seem to increase whenever I take it, even with food. I've been avoiding the NSAID for the past two weeks or so.

Even with those changes, I had painful BMs with a small amount of bright red blood mixed in the stool. I have noticed that they usually occur at night time, about 2-4 hours after I take my Plaquinel with a meal.

Tonight I had a painful BM with a moderate amount of bright red blood. There was bright red blood mixed in the stool, as well as some blood in the toilet. I also noticed what looked like a small piece of round bloody tissue (or maybe it was clotted blood) when I wiped.

I also have several bouts of diarrhea in one day every 1-2 weeks. My NP thought it was IBS but I have modified my diet many times in an attempt to ease the symptoms. I'm realizing that it doesn't really matter what I eat. When my stomach gets upset, there's nothing I can do but wait it out.

I plan to see my doctor about this soon. Just wondering if anybody has any ideas about what might be going on?

ETA: I've been having other symptoms, like sleeping all of the time, muscle weakness and feeling cold. I'm pretty sure it's related to my thyroid disease though and that my Synthroid needs to be increased. I see my endo soon, so I'm just kind of waiting until the appointment.

Last edited by tired25; 08-14-2016 at 12:34 AM. Reason: added more info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
    rufous57
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
    Re: Painful BMs, bright red blood, diarrhea

Hopefully by now you have had time to see your doctor? Blood in the stool isn't something to be ignored. Hypothyroid could explain the constipation but not the diarrhea, at least to me. Have you had recent bloodwork done?

Old 08-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Painful BMs, bright red blood, diarrhea

Hi....well, from my experience it sounds more than just hemmies. I would suggest that when you see your doctor, insist on a referral for colonoscopy with biopsies. As well, stool sample testing will determine if you have any invaders. Blood testing can help regarding liver enzymes, inflammation, infection, blood count, kidney, etc....they will give insight for further investigation.

Constipation is also a symptom of rectal inflammation.

Please let us know what the process ends up being for your testing and results, etc.

One thing of autoimmune or hormonal issues...others tend to like to party together.

q

Reply Reply

Tags
    arthritis, bloody stool, bowel movement, diarrhea