It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Abdominal Pain Self-Diagnosis

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
    Trent1123
    (female)

Trent1123 HB User
    Abdominal Pain Self-Diagnosis

As a child I spent many hours lying on the bathroom floor suffering from abdominal pain and serious constipation. At age 16 with severe abdominal pain and 6 weeks without a bowel movement, the doctor told me to use an enema. I used 3 enemas over 7 days before getting any relief. At times the pain was debilitating and accompanied with vomiting. Living with this unpredictable condition was challenging. I never knew how my body would react to food. Food was killing me, that's how I felt. About 5 years ago a colonoscopy identified me with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, gluten sensitivity, and an inflamed stomach without the presence of H. Pylori.

About 3 years ago I felt as if death was imminent, knocking on my door. I told every physician I saw that my gut was inflamed. They would reply, "you mean bloated and gaseous." My answer, "No, I mean inflamed like when your finger has been hit by a hammer, swollen."

Extensive blood and stool tests showed a declining system indicative of possible immune disorders, but no specific diagnosis. I began eating organic foods that were gluten free. That is a hard diet to adjust to but it helped improve the "inflammation" and stabilize the constant diarrhea with occasional constipation. But the frequent abdominal pain or intestinal attacks continued just as unpredictable as before. The doctors were not very sympathetic and a site Director told me it was heartburn and acid reflux, not pain and vomiting. It was my anger with his words that helped me finally get a diagnosis.

May 2016 my next attack I went to the ER instead of suffering it out at home. A CT scan found a hypermobile cecum located in the left mid abdomen and cecal bascule. A barium enema showed an extra-long right colon and all twisted up. That explained the feeling of a moving baby or snake inside me.

About 2 weeks ago 2 feet of the right colon was removed. Although I'm not fully recovered, I am so relieved to know that the pain will finally end. I'm nearly 60 years of age and have suffered as long as I can remember. Not one physician ordered a CT scan to see why I suffered so much pain. My ob/gyn did prescribe Bentyl which helped me with the pain. He also performed a vaginal ultrasound to confirm the pain was not from my reproductive system.

I have a daughter that has been suffering the same symptoms for a long time. I've asked my surgeon to please evaluate her for the same problem. If it turns out that she has the same condition, I will update this post.

If you are truly suffering from pain, believe in yourself. Don't give up.

Last edited by Trent1123; 08-20-2016 at 03:34 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Trent1123:
    busymommy (08-24-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    abdominal pain, celiac disease, diarrhea, digestive disorders, ibs/constipation