It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
JoeFAMS
(male)

JoeFAMS HB User
Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

Hello,
I am a 36 yr old male and i had a hemorrhoidectomy procedure 2 weeks ago. Ive read most of these threads regarding this procedure and the expected recovery, so i thought i would share my experience.

I suffered from multiple external hemorrhoids for nearly 10 years before taking action. I went to a rectal surgeon in Forest Hills NY and, after completing a colonoscopy and infrared coagulation, nothing he recommended helped. I told him i wanted to undergo the hemorrhoidectomy and he said it was not necessary. After 5 visits and several painful procedures, I decided it was time to try another office. A short time later, I moved to Minnesota and went directly to a colon and rectal surgery office. Following my initial examination, I was immediately recommended to meet with a surgeon. The surgeon was compassionate and honest, and after examining my situation, she agreed to the hemorrhoidectomy.

FIRST ADVICE: FIND A CARING AND QUALIFIED SURGEON, DO NOT SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS.

I went in for surgery, met with surgeon, anesthesiologist, nurses, everyone. They were all compassionate and supportive. Following surgery, I came out of the anesthesia and I was asked about my level of pain and i said "on a scale of 1-10 I'm at about a 25." The nurse then injected a numbing medicine and I felt perfect. I was prescribed Vicodin and after an hour I was discharged. I was unable to urinate at the surgery center, but I was told to try at home and if I fail to do so in 5 hours, to go to the emergency room to be categorized. Luckily, I was able to go at the 4 hour mark, so i called and notified them.

SECOND ADVICE: FOLLOWING SURGERY, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO URINATE FOR A WHILE. YOU WILL BE NUMB FROM THE DRUGS THEY PROVIDE YOU, AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO WALK OUT WITHOUT MUCH PAIN. 20 HOURS AFTER SURGERY, THE NUMBING MEDICATION WILL FADE AND THE PAIN IS HORRIFIC, SO BE PREPARED FOR THE HARDEST DAYS OF YOUR LIFE.

Once the numbing wore off at hour 20 post surgery, I couldn't believe the discomfort and searing pain. My first BM came around day 3 and I almost passed out. I did not eat anything but fiber, broth, and water for fear of having to go to toilet again. I lost 8 pounds during my first week. I had blood in stool, I couldn't wipe without nearly passing out, I'm serious, the room started to go dark. Unfortunately, the pain killers did little for me after day 1, so I did not take them. I sat in a shower 5 times a day to ease pain and I took advil, lots of advil. Day 2 was the worst. The pain intensified and I was completely miserable.

ADVICE 3: THIS WILL BE THE WORST PAIN AND DISCOMFORT OF YOUR LIFE. DAYS 2 AND 3 ARE THE WORST.

I am now 2 weeks into recovery and I feel a lot better, but there are still searing immediate flashes of pain that I cannot describe. Best i can say is red hot branding iron. This lasts about 8 seconds, but it will put you off your feet and you will yell some obscenities. I hope this goes away soon.

ADVICE 4: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE: THE PSYCHOLOGICAL CHALLENGES INCLUDE GUILT, HELPLESSNESS, AND SELF DOUBT. YOU WILL FEEL YOU ARE A BURDEN TO FAMILY BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SIT A LOT AND RECOVER. YOU ARE HELPLESS AGAINST THE PAIN AND UNPLEASANT ROUTINES REQUIRED FOR RECOVERY. SELF DOUBT COMES IMMEDIATELY, "I CANT DO THIS". YOU WILL YELL FROM PAIN, YOU ARE IRRITABLE AND ALWAYS EASILY TRIGGERED, SO YOU WANT TO STAY AWAY FROM PEOPLE. TRUST ME, THIS ALL COMES TO AN END AND EVERYONE GOING THROUGH THIS WILL SURVIVE.

I hope this helps you all prepare for this procedure. Thanks for reading.
Joe

The following user gives a hug of support to JoeFAMS:
movielover40 (01-05-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread