It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
JoeFAMS
(male)

JoeFAMS HB User
Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

Hello,
I am a 36 yr old male and i had a hemorrhoidectomy procedure 2 weeks ago. Ive read most of these threads regarding this procedure and the expected recovery, so i thought i would share my experience.

I suffered from multiple external hemorrhoids for nearly 10 years before taking action. I went to a rectal surgeon in Forest Hills NY and, after completing a colonoscopy and infrared coagulation, nothing he recommended helped. I told him i wanted to undergo the hemorrhoidectomy and he said it was not necessary. After 5 visits and several painful procedures, I decided it was time to try another office. A short time later, I moved to Minnesota and went directly to a colon and rectal surgery office. Following my initial examination, I was immediately recommended to meet with a surgeon. The surgeon was compassionate and honest, and after examining my situation, she agreed to the hemorrhoidectomy.

FIRST ADVICE: FIND A CARING AND QUALIFIED SURGEON, DO NOT SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS.

I went in for surgery, met with surgeon, anesthesiologist, nurses, everyone. They were all compassionate and supportive. Following surgery, I came out of the anesthesia and I was asked about my level of pain and i said "on a scale of 1-10 I'm at about a 25." The nurse then injected a numbing medicine and I felt perfect. I was prescribed Vicodin and after an hour I was discharged. I was unable to urinate at the surgery center, but I was told to try at home and if I fail to do so in 5 hours, to go to the emergency room to be categorized. Luckily, I was able to go at the 4 hour mark, so i called and notified them.

SECOND ADVICE: FOLLOWING SURGERY, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO URINATE FOR A WHILE. YOU WILL BE NUMB FROM THE DRUGS THEY PROVIDE YOU, AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO WALK OUT WITHOUT MUCH PAIN. 20 HOURS AFTER SURGERY, THE NUMBING MEDICATION WILL FADE AND THE PAIN IS HORRIFIC, SO BE PREPARED FOR THE HARDEST DAYS OF YOUR LIFE.

Once the numbing wore off at hour 20 post surgery, I couldn't believe the discomfort and searing pain. My first BM came around day 3 and I almost passed out. I did not eat anything but fiber, broth, and water for fear of having to go to toilet again. I lost 8 pounds during my first week. I had blood in stool, I couldn't wipe without nearly passing out, I'm serious, the room started to go dark. Unfortunately, the pain killers did little for me after day 1, so I did not take them. I sat in a shower 5 times a day to ease pain and I took advil, lots of advil. Day 2 was the worst. The pain intensified and I was completely miserable.

ADVICE 3: THIS WILL BE THE WORST PAIN AND DISCOMFORT OF YOUR LIFE. DAYS 2 AND 3 ARE THE WORST.

I am now 2 weeks into recovery and I feel a lot better, but there are still searing immediate flashes of pain that I cannot describe. Best i can say is red hot branding iron. This lasts about 8 seconds, but it will put you off your feet and you will yell some obscenities. I hope this goes away soon.

ADVICE 4: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE: THE PSYCHOLOGICAL CHALLENGES INCLUDE GUILT, HELPLESSNESS, AND SELF DOUBT. YOU WILL FEEL YOU ARE A BURDEN TO FAMILY BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SIT A LOT AND RECOVER. YOU ARE HELPLESS AGAINST THE PAIN AND UNPLEASANT ROUTINES REQUIRED FOR RECOVERY. SELF DOUBT COMES IMMEDIATELY, "I CANT DO THIS". YOU WILL YELL FROM PAIN, YOU ARE IRRITABLE AND ALWAYS EASILY TRIGGERED, SO YOU WANT TO STAY AWAY FROM PEOPLE. TRUST ME, THIS ALL COMES TO AN END AND EVERYONE GOING THROUGH THIS WILL SURVIVE.

I hope this helps you all prepare for this procedure. Thanks for reading.
Joe

The following user gives a hug of support to JoeFAMS:
movielover40 (01-05-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
HemHell
(male)

HemHell HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFAMS View Post
Hello,
I am a 36 yr old male and i had a hemorrhoidectomy procedure 2 weeks ago. Ive read most of these threads regarding this procedure and the expected recovery, so i thought i would share my experience.

I suffered from multiple external hemorrhoids for nearly 10 years before taking action. I went to a rectal surgeon in Forest Hills NY and, after completing a colonoscopy and infrared coagulation, nothing he recommended helped. I told him i wanted to undergo the hemorrhoidectomy and he said it was not necessary. After 5 visits and several painful procedures, I decided it was time to try another office. A short time later, I moved to Minnesota and went directly to a colon and rectal surgery office. Following my initial examination, I was immediately recommended to meet with a surgeon. The surgeon was compassionate and honest, and after examining my situation, she agreed to the hemorrhoidectomy.

FIRST ADVICE: FIND A CARING AND QUALIFIED SURGEON, DO NOT SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS.

I went in for surgery, met with surgeon, anesthesiologist, nurses, everyone. They were all compassionate and supportive. Following surgery, I came out of the anesthesia and I was asked about my level of pain and i said "on a scale of 1-10 I'm at about a 25." The nurse then injected a numbing medicine and I felt perfect. I was prescribed Vicodin and after an hour I was discharged. I was unable to urinate at the surgery center, but I was told to try at home and if I fail to do so in 5 hours, to go to the emergency room to be categorized. Luckily, I was able to go at the 4 hour mark, so i called and notified them.

SECOND ADVICE: FOLLOWING SURGERY, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO URINATE FOR A WHILE. YOU WILL BE NUMB FROM THE DRUGS THEY PROVIDE YOU, AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO WALK OUT WITHOUT MUCH PAIN. 20 HOURS AFTER SURGERY, THE NUMBING MEDICATION WILL FADE AND THE PAIN IS HORRIFIC, SO BE PREPARED FOR THE HARDEST DAYS OF YOUR LIFE.

Once the numbing wore off at hour 20 post surgery, I couldn't believe the discomfort and searing pain. My first BM came around day 3 and I almost passed out. I did not eat anything but fiber, broth, and water for fear of having to go to toilet again. I lost 8 pounds during my first week. I had blood in stool, I couldn't wipe without nearly passing out, I'm serious, the room started to go dark. Unfortunately, the pain killers did little for me after day 1, so I did not take them. I sat in a shower 5 times a day to ease pain and I took advil, lots of advil. Day 2 was the worst. The pain intensified and I was completely miserable.

ADVICE 3: THIS WILL BE THE WORST PAIN AND DISCOMFORT OF YOUR LIFE. DAYS 2 AND 3 ARE THE WORST.

I am now 2 weeks into recovery and I feel a lot better, but there are still searing immediate flashes of pain that I cannot describe. Best i can say is red hot branding iron. This lasts about 8 seconds, but it will put you off your feet and you will yell some obscenities. I hope this goes away soon.

ADVICE 4: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE: THE PSYCHOLOGICAL CHALLENGES INCLUDE GUILT, HELPLESSNESS, AND SELF DOUBT. YOU WILL FEEL YOU ARE A BURDEN TO FAMILY BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SIT A LOT AND RECOVER. YOU ARE HELPLESS AGAINST THE PAIN AND UNPLEASANT ROUTINES REQUIRED FOR RECOVERY. SELF DOUBT COMES IMMEDIATELY, "I CANT DO THIS". YOU WILL YELL FROM PAIN, YOU ARE IRRITABLE AND ALWAYS EASILY TRIGGERED, SO YOU WANT TO STAY AWAY FROM PEOPLE. TRUST ME, THIS ALL COMES TO AN END AND EVERYONE GOING THROUGH THIS WILL SURVIVE.

I hope this helps you all prepare for this procedure. Thanks for reading.
Joe

Old 01-02-2017, 10:02 PM   #3
HemHell
(male)

HemHell HB User

Hi.
I'm so sorry for your pain.
I have hemorrhoids that need surgery.
After reading your article, I'm past scared and in shock!!!
I have never had a any urinary problems, after reading that I may need a catheter...
Yikes.
Recovery.
I thought it was 1-2 days.
Not on the second day all hell breaks loose.

I need to know.
How are you feeling now?

Please take care.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #4
JoeFAMS
(male)

JoeFAMS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemHell View Post
Hi.
I'm so sorry for your pain.
I have hemorrhoids that need surgery.
After reading your article, I'm past scared and in shock!!!
I have never had a any urinary problems, after reading that I may need a catheter...
Yikes.
Recovery.
I thought it was 1-2 days.
Not on the second day all hell breaks loose.

I need to know.
How are you feeling now?

Please take care.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #5
JoeFAMS
(male)

JoeFAMS HB User

Hello! Glad someone heard me! Yes it is scary because I wanted to post as much day by day detail so people can prepare. I feel a thousand times better even with the searing moments of pain and it's been 2 weeks. I don't know the severity of your condition, all I can say is as I came to from the anesthesia the nurses didn't know I could hear them. One asked "what's he in for?" Other responded "hemorrhoidectomy, yeah surgeon said it was a huge procedure, worst case she's seen." Strangely I felt justified, like I wasn't being weak, so I think my case was pretty bad and that's why my recovery has been so rough. I'm not sure, but I estimate I had 8 or 9 external stage 3 hemorrhoids. For 6 years I'd have to sit for 2 hours after every BM.

The painful recovery is totally worth ridding myself of this hell!!!! I'd do it all again!!!

As for inability to urinate, following the procedure there is a lot of internal swelling and, although I was numb, I could feel the pressure on my sphincter. It was impossible to urinate. You probably won't need a catheter, trust me, I was terrified of that too, but U absolutely must urinate within 5 hrs of surgery or your bladder can burst.

These surgeons and nurses do this surgery every week n know the hell u will go through so they will tell u everything u can expect. I didn't want to sugarcoat anything. So if u decide to go in, and I hope u do, just ask questions regarding the info I've provided, ok?

Again, the psychological part of this is so tough, but u will come away so much stronger!!! I know I did because I can't think of anything I'll ever experience that comes close to this. 1.5 weeks of total misery and then things get so much better. I'll sacrifice 2 weeks of hell to avoid another 6 years of agony.

Thanks for reading and please ask if you have anymore concerns!
Joe

Old 01-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
HemHell
(male)

HemHell HB User

Thanks Joe.
My name is Vinnie.
I know the mental recovery will be as painful as the physical.
My concern is my job.
How soon till you were able to go back to work?

Old 01-02-2017, 10:59 PM   #7
JoeFAMS
(male)

JoeFAMS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemHell View Post
Thanks Joe.
My name is Vinnie.
I know the mental recovery will be as painful as the physical.
My concern is my job.
How soon till you were able to go back to work?
Hey Vinnie! Good to meet you!

Work, good question. I planned my surgery to happen right before the holidays. Worst idea of my life, but it worked with my employer as I knew I'd be able to take 3 weeks off. If you have that much vacation saved I'd suggest taking it. At two weeks I can not yet do my job, and I dont want to explain my surgery to anyone at the office. Again, it all depends on the severity of the surgery. I'm fully optimistic I'll be ready to return to work in a week, and with that, start exercising again. My advice, take more time than you think you will need. This also qualifies as short term disability, so look into that.

Sorry for your pain brother. You n I both know how tough this is. Regardless of recovery, get the surgery. It's better quality of life...after 2 weeks that is!!!

Joe

Old 01-03-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
HemHell
(male)

HemHell HB User

Hi Joe,

I spoke with my job.
The surgeon said it's approximately 3weeks recovery.
I asked about the catheter & possible bleeding.
He said to monitor, but it was in the low percentile of operations that it occurred.
My operation is at 10am. Tomorrow.

How are you feeling?

The dr gave me laxatives, but since I don't want to strain they have been useless.

This is the 1st time I ever texted, about anything.

Thanks Joe, it's helped.

Vinnie

Old 01-03-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
JoeFAMS
(male)

JoeFAMS HB User
Smile Re: Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

Hey Vinnie!

Glad to hear you made the decision to get the surgery! Like I said, my condition was really bad so my recovery has been tough. I believe your recovery will be better. If you need support at any time, or you have any questions during recovery, please contact me!!! Im getting better every day, and I look forward to week 4 when I'm supposed to be able to go back to my regular routine. I still have pain after BMs and those last a while, but i can tell they're minimizing every day.

Im really happy for you pal and you should be proud; you read my horror story and you are pushing through!!! Good luck, you'll be fine brother! Let me know how it goes day one!!!

Joe

Old 01-04-2017, 12:47 AM   #10
HemHell
(male)

HemHell HB User

I will Joe.
It's D-Day minus 6 hours & :15 minutes.
I'm from Naples Florida.
Where are you from?

Old 01-04-2017, 08:50 PM   #11
HemHell
(male)

HemHell HB User

Good Evening Joe,
It's been 12 hours since my operation.
NO catheter l!!! 😄
Only fear I I have is regarding a BM.
I don't want to bleed, or pass out.
How was if for you the first time?
On a great note.
COMFORT!!!
I lived with this condition for so long, I feel better.
Still aware of days 2-3?
Pray for me, brother.

Thank you Joe

Old 01-04-2017, 10:07 PM   #12
JoeFAMS
(male)

JoeFAMS HB User

Vinnie! Im sorry! I didn't get an email notice of your last message so i grew concerned and just signed on! Oh good, no catheter thank God!!! Great news brother!

Ok bare with me, first bowel movement. Mine came on day two and the second on day three (if i remember correctly) hence why days two and three were just awful. Seriously, take the pain med they prescribed every morning and prepare. Not much you can do but I can tell you its tough, very very very tough. It will hurt badly and you will have to push very very hard. Stick to liquids and broth and just bare down brother! After your first, every bm will hurt until days 9 or 10, but your pain tolerance will sky rocket!

To make light of this, I had a job interview 6 days following my procedure and I emailed the contact and let him know I had surgery, but I didn't go into detail, obviously. I told him I might not make it as it was an hour drive. I made it and had a good interview but didn't get the job, oh well, I was proud I made it. The trip home was as bad as it could have been. Bare with me, this gets disturbing. So Im driving home and I have my poise pad on and I brought extras, in fact I carried a bag of extra clothes in case I had a bleed out. I had a bleed out. Im 20 min in to my drive in rush hour traffic (I'm from MN by the way!) and I felt pressure so I pushed a bit n had a pathetic fart (gross, sorry). I pushed a bit more and felt heat up my lower back. Im wearing a dress shirt, my suit pants and tie mind you. I immediately pulled off at next exit and parked at an applebees. When I left that morning, for some reason I grabbed my dress coat which is nice hugo boss long coat. I was mad at first because its hard to drive in that big coat. Thank God I wore that thing!!!! So i get out n i see a wet spot on seat and I thought I had incontinence. It didn't smell. Uh Oh. Id left my long coat in back seat so i threw that on and I walk briskly into applebees. "Can I use your bathroom? Im meeting someone here". So here we go...

I go into handicap stall n make sure coast is clear. pull down my pants and I'm covered in blood. bled through my pad, underwear, pants and my shirt!!!! It was a murder scene. I threw my tie in corner and started cleaning up and then I had a flipping BM?! bowl was all red. Felt so good though to get out. Anyway, 45 min later, I finally cleaned everything. I had nearly 2 pounds of paper towels and tp covered in blood. I was texting my wife, whose phone was off of course, and Im just thinking thank God it didn't happen at interview. That was my worst public experience and I decided best to stay home for a while. It would have been such a great story had I gotten the job but oh well. This won't happen to you, don't worry. you and I can laugh about this ok?! Im not ashamed. Just proud I got to that interview.

How are you? Are you still numb? Remember, you might have a great recovery and you might not experience all the he-- I did. But just be safe and let someone know when you are having a bm so they can check on you. 1st BM will probably have some blood, don't be scared. Just keep going and when you get done, if you're still bleeding put some tp in there as a plug n put a belt around your butt to hold it and go sit down, it'll stop in a few minutes. you will not bleed out n you won't need to go to ER. I bled for years and this was always normal for me so I had a system down with the belt, I call it my strap! ha ha!. Wife is far too familiar with the strap. Get ice packs ( i used frozen peas cuz they form to your rear when you sit on em. Thats essential. don't walk around too much, don't feel guilty to ask for help. This is your time to take all the time for YOU. So be humble and lazy and relax. Funny try not to's: laugh, cough, sneeze, fart, get scarred (cuz any flinch causes that sphincter to flex, ouch). I was holding my 2 month old daughter n she flinched in her sleep n i almost passed out, ugh. remember to take sitz baths 4 to 5 times per day. keeps area clean and is so soothing.

Im praying for ya, rooting for ya, and I'm here for ya Vinnie! Make sure you post your experience so others preparing for this can see your experience!

Take care Vinnie and remember the Psychological difficulties I mentioned. You can do this and you'll be fine.

Keep me posted brother!!!

Joe

Old 01-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #13
Bones03
(male)

Bones03 HB User

Hi Joe, Thanks for sharing your experience. Misery loves company right? I will make this a quick version of my story and questions for you because I am doing this on the phone and it is too slow to write a book. I am a 48 year old male that am 6 days post op. I had just a few internal and external hemms and a skin tag. I developed hemms about 17 years ago. Started as an occasional flare-up and could go many months between episodes. Last couple of years the flare-ups became more frequent and not so easily taken care of. So I decided to have the surgery. Scared to death after reading other posts on this board. I am very active and in good shape. I do events that challenge me physically / mentally and have had shoulder and knee surgery within the last few years. This pain / discomfort is off the charts. So here are my issues. 1) It seems as if I have another new hemm. It is plump and tender and I can definitely feel it all the time. BM's certainly make it worse. I have read on other posts that this is normal and just part of the inflammation and should get better. If it was not for this I would be pretty happy with my pain / comfort level thus far and would have to say that this hemm is the main reason why I am feeling crappy. 2) I had my 1st BM the day after surgery and have had at least one everyday since. You know the pain though! I had just some real minor blood spotting after a BM for the first 3 days. The last 3 days after a BM has put an approximate 1 inch 360 degree stain around the anus as it shows on the first wipe. There is only minor spotting on the next 1 or 2 wipes and all cleaned up after that. I do not have any other bleeding. This kind of has me freaked out. I would have thought the bleeding would have been more right after surgery not the reverse. I appreciate any thoughts or advice. Hope you are doing well. Brothers in misery

Old 01-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #14
Hemm44
(male)

Hemm44 HB User

I had my surgery in December 2015 and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The first week after surgery was very painful, but the pain dropped significantly the 2nd week. I was back at work after two weeks. The best advice that I can offer is making sure you maintain a high fiber diet and drink plenty of water. Don't regret having the surgery, you made the correct decision in the long run.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #15
JoeFAMS
(male)

JoeFAMS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones03 View Post
Hi Joe, Thanks for sharing your experience. Misery loves company right? I will make this a quick version of my story and questions for you because I am doing this on the phone and it is too slow to write a book. I am a 48 year old male that am 6 days post op. I had just a few internal and external hemms and a skin tag. I developed hemms about 17 years ago. Started as an occasional flare-up and could go many months between episodes. Last couple of years the flare-ups became more frequent and not so easily taken care of. So I decided to have the surgery. Scared to death after reading other posts on this board. I am very active and in good shape. I do events that challenge me physically / mentally and have had shoulder and knee surgery within the last few years. This pain / discomfort is off the charts. So here are my issues. 1) It seems as if I have another new hemm. It is plump and tender and I can definitely feel it all the time. BM's certainly make it worse. I have read on other posts that this is normal and just part of the inflammation and should get better. If it was not for this I would be pretty happy with my pain / comfort level thus far and would have to say that this hemm is the main reason why I am feeling crappy. 2) I had my 1st BM the day after surgery and have had at least one everyday since. You know the pain though! I had just some real minor blood spotting after a BM for the first 3 days. The last 3 days after a BM has put an approximate 1 inch 360 degree stain around the anus as it shows on the first wipe. There is only minor spotting on the next 1 or 2 wipes and all cleaned up after that. I do not have any other bleeding. This kind of has me freaked out. I would have thought the bleeding would have been more right after surgery not the reverse. I appreciate any thoughts or advice. Hope you are doing well. Brothers in misery
Ha! Brothers in misery is perfect. I'm also on my phone so I'll get right to your question regarding bleeding 6 days post op. I spot every now n then I just started my third week. At week two bleeding was common after every BM and I believe it's because of the surgical swelling, healing. It's completely normal friend so don't worry, ok? As long as you're not filling the bowl red you are fine. 6 days post op I filled n I mean filllllled the bowl red n after a few minutes of paper n pressure, it stopped. I was used to that as I always bled during BMs for 6 years. I hope this helps. Gotta tell ya, I feel better today than I have in 18 years, when my problem originated! I had severe problems in last 6 years so I finally had the surgery.

Please feel welcome to ask any and all questions brother! I wish u a fast semi painless recovery (let's be real haha!) and I hope to hear from you soon.

Joe, brothers in pain!

Reply Reply