It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Positive FOBT and anemia with negative colonoscopy?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
    mytulips234
    (female)

mytulips234 HB User
    Unhappy Positive FOBT and anemia with negative colonoscopy?

Hey everyone,
    I came on tis forum because I've been having some stomach issues lately and I'm not getting any answers. So, back in September I got a fecal occult blood test done, which came back positive. A blood test also showed slight anemia. My GI ordered a colonoscopy with biopsies, all which were negative. I was okay for a while, but around two months ago I started to feel run down. I had another blood test which showed anemia again, and I was asked to take multivitamins with iron. This didn't help much, and last month I got another stool test done which was negative, but the blood tests still showed anemia despite the vitamins. I had another colonoscopy just a few days ago, but it was clear again except for one tiny internal hemorrhoid.
    My question is, despite the negative colonoscopy, I still feel like something is going on and I'm still bleeding from somewhere. My hemoglobin and ferretin continue to go down, and I know that stool tests don't show blood all the time. I'm just SO frustrated because I continue to feel really tired and sick all the time, and both my parents and GI seem at a loss for what else to do. I've had 2 colonoscopies, 1 endoscopy, 1 abdominal ultrasound, 1 transabdominal ultrasound, a Meckel diverticulum scan, ova and parasite stool tests, and a calprotectin test, all which came back negative. I just don't know what to do because I feel like something is wrong but every test is clear. I also have a skew of other bowel issues, like increased bowel movements (I used to go once a day, I started going 3-4 times a day since August), excessive gas, and a feeling of incomplete evacuation. I also lost some weight but it's currently stable.
    I have a follow-up with my GI on the 28th, what else do you all suggest I ask her? Are there any more tests that should be done? Because I just need some answers as to why this is all happening. I don't want to keep feeling so sick and worried all the time, it has really affected both my school and social life. :/

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
    SDR25
    (female)

SDR25 HB User
    Re: Positive FOBT and anemia with negative colonoscopy?

I assume the endoscopy aswell none of those tests came up with anything?
    Have you had your gallbladder, lover and kidneys checked?
    Anemia doesn't necessarily mean you are losing blood or have any internal bleeding.
    Maybe your positive FOBT had to do with an hemorrhoidal lesion.
    Anemia can occur if you have a lack of iron or B12 vitamin. This can happen, for example, if your stomach doesn't process them right so they can be absorbed.
    It can also occur if your having diarrhoea, because you lose your minerals and water too quickly.
    I believe the key to all of this is to understand where your anemia is coming from.

Last edited by SDR25; 03-12-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    bowels, ibd, ibs, stomach, undiagnosed