It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Help! How do I taper off laxatives?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2017, 01:42 AM   #1
gkhchay
(male)

gkhchay HB User
Help! How do I taper off laxatives?

I'm a 60 year old guy with a laxative dependency problem.

Started 2.5 years back when I was prescribed antidepressants by a psychiatrist who was treating me for insomnia. The antidepressants worked for a while for my insomnia but it gave me terrible constipation so the psychiatrist gave me laxatives.

After 9 months I weaned off the antidepressants myself and I thought the constipation would go away but it never did. Instead it got worse and I had to increase my laxatives.

How do I taper down the laxatives? I'm taking 30 a day and I want to end this madness! I don't live in the US and the doctors in my country are only good at prescribing medications so that's why I hope someone will guide me on how to taper down and slowly wean off laxatives.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #2
sweetpotato13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
Re: Help! How do I taper off laxatives?

Welcome! I am pretty sure that a doctor didn't tell you to take 30 laxatives every day, correct? If so that is certainly malpractice. In any case, if I were you I would taper down slowly. If it were me I would take two less pills every other day, but that is just random guesswork on my part. Also, drink lots and lots of water and eat fruits and vegetables that also get water into your system.
I know that you can do this!!!!!

Old 05-08-2017, 11:06 PM   #3
gkhchay
(male)

gkhchay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotato13 View Post
Welcome! I am pretty sure that a doctor didn't tell you to take 30 laxatives every day, correct? If so that is certainly malpractice. In any case, if I were you I would taper down slowly. If it were me I would take two less pills every other day, but that is just random guesswork on my part. Also, drink lots and lots of water and eat fruits and vegetables that also get water into your system.
I know that you can do this!!!!!
Thank you.

Won't 2 less pills every other day be too fast a taper? I'm just worried that if I taper too fast, it'll backfire and I won't be able to get any bowel movement at all.

I'm also thinking of increasing my fiber intake by taking psyllium and grounded flax seeds. How much should I start with?

I'm already taking lots of veggies and fruits: my diet is very roughly 60% plant based now with the remaining 40% eating fish, eggs, olive oil, coconut oil etc.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
sweetpotato13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

Honestly I don't know....you are taking so many pills each day that if you taper very very slowly that can take many months, and more likely than not your body will be happier, the sooner you are off them. Can you speak with your doctor about this? It's an honest question! I think that increasing fiber is a great idea, too.
I want to share too much information with you, lol. I only have a bowel movement a couple of times per week and my doctor says that as long as I don't have to strain and the stool isn't hard, this is my "normal". I've been like this most of my life! All this to say, though you may feel as if a daily bowel movement is essential... it really isn't, so be kind to yourself.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
sweetpotato13
Senior Veteran
(female)

This is a laxative abuse hot line

Call our toll-free, confidential helpline, Monday - Thursday from 9:00 am - 9:00 pm and Friday from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (EST): 1-800-931-2237

The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpotato13 For This Useful Post:
NOTSONUTSO (05-21-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
reni4
(female)

reni4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkhchay View Post
I'm a 60 year old guy with a laxative dependency problem.

Started 2.5 years back when I was prescribed antidepressants by a psychiatrist who was treating me for insomnia. The antidepressants worked for a while for my insomnia but it gave me terrible constipation so the psychiatrist gave me laxatives.

After 9 months I weaned off the antidepressants myself and I thought the constipation would go away but it never did. Instead it got worse and I had to increase my laxatives.

How do I taper down the laxatives? I'm taking 30 a day and I want to end this madness! I don't live in the US and the doctors in my country are only good at prescribing medications so that's why I hope someone will guide me on how to taper down and slowly wean off laxatives.

Thanks in advance!

Reply Reply