It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Depression, no energy 9 months after bowel resection.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2017, 06:03 AM   #1
Sugarbritches63
(female)

Sugarbritches63 HB User
Depression, no energy 9 months after bowel resection.

Hi, I am new here and am reaching out for some help.
9 months ago, I had major surgery. My large intestine had stretched way out and had twisted as well as my small had twisted. They had to remove a foot of my large and 1/2 foot of the small. Then infection set in and I had a wound vac for about 3 weeks.
It has been 9 months since my surgery and I am depressed with no energy. I had depression before the surgery and am on anti-depressants. But it is worse now, and the no energy part just stinks. I also had a colonoscopy done this past January and it shows some "kinks" in there along with diverticulitis.
I am just so tired of this. Can anyone help?

The following user gives a hug of support to Sugarbritches63:
movielover40 (05-16-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: Depression, no energy 9 months after bowel resection.

That must have been quite a surgery! I'm sorry you went through that and are still suffering. I didn't have bowel surgery but had another surgery (unnecessary hysterectomy) that caused permanent bowel problems for which I've never gotten a diagnosis. The surgery also plunged me into a severe depression due to the loss of hormones.

I would think that this drastic surgery plus concerns about future problems could in itself exacerbate your depression. But also, there may very well be some physiological reasons due to reduced absorption (malabsorption) through bowel mucosa. This could cause vitamin and mineral deficiencies that can affect mood as well as less absorption / efficacy of medication including your anti-depressant. It could also, of course, explain your lack of energy.

Have you had any blood tests to check for malabsorption of fats, carbohydrates and/or proteins? Sometimes it takes awhile for deficiencies to show up in lab work. In my case, diarrhea prompted my PCP (at my request based on research I'd done) to check for fat malabsorption. I did have a moderate level of fat malabsorption. My bowels have improved somewhat but are still problematic, however, I have yet to go through more work-ups.

I hope this helps! I will be interested to hear what more you find out. Good luck getting help!

Old 05-15-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
Sugarbritches63
(female)

Sugarbritches63 HB User

Yes, it was awful. Thank you for your reply.
I haven't had any of those tests done. But, one thing you said made me think. I had a hysterectomy back in 2011. I know I had depression before that but I'm remembering how much worse it was. I still have hot flashes and night sweats. Ugh. It's just so hard to know what to do. Thank you!

Old 05-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I sort of wondered if you'd had a hysterectomy since the bowel is displaced without the uterus to keep it in place which can cause problems especially in the long-term... one of many things patients aren't typically told.

If you don't mind sharing, did / do you have endometriosis or were diagnosed with a bowel condition before your hysterectomy?

Have you tried or considered trying estrogen? Once I got enough estrogen in my system, my depression lifted and many of the other horrific symptoms improved quite a bit.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
Theycallmehoney
(female)

Theycallmehoney HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarbritches63 View Post
Hi, I am new here and am reaching out for some help.
9 months ago, I had major surgery. My large intestine had stretched way out and had twisted as well as my small had twisted. They had to remove a foot of my large and 1/2 foot of the small. Then infection set in and I had a wound vac for about 3 weeks.
It has been 9 months since my surgery and I am depressed with no energy. I had depression before the surgery and am on anti-depressants. But it is worse now, and the no energy part just stinks. I also had a colonoscopy done this past January and it shows some "kinks" in there along with diverticulitis.
I am just so tired of this. Can anyone help?
Oh I am so sorry! I too had a resection bc of diverticulitis. It was followed up by a nasty 9 month battle, 5 times hospitalized, Cdiff. I was severely depressed. I was too embarrassed to even tell my husband. I felt like it was just one more thing. My Drs were all so busy and trying to cure the Cdiff, I was afraid to burden anyone else, with one more thing. Until I finally melted down. I think too with the reductions you are prob evacuating quicker, maybe not absorbing everything AND if you are
STILL ON ANTIBIOTICS, ugh, they drain the life out of a 2 year old. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Reply Reply