It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Possible Colon Cancer at 18?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
VanillaBear
(male)

VanillaBear HB User
Possible Colon Cancer at 18?

So I've been having some bowel problems for the past few months and I'm worried about what they might mean. I am 18, I'm in already shape though I have started going to the gym and eating healthier lately. About 3-4 months ago, I started to notice that I was having bowel problems. I haven't really been constipated in terms of just not being able to have a BM, but I have had to strain and my BMs always come out in small pieces and are soft, but not watery. So I wouldn't say I've had diarrhea but my stool has definitely changed and my BMs are smaller. I've also had some mild bloating and I've noticed a lot more mucus in my stool than before. There are even times when I go to the bathroom and only mucus comes out. I don't have any abdominal pain, just a feeling of fullness and incomplete evacuation. I went to the doctor for a checkup and mentioned some of my problems and he said to drink more water and take Metamucil if my constipation ever gets really bad. I have done both of these things and while it has helped with the bloating, I still have to strain when I have a BM and the consistency has not changed. I'm worried that my symptoms line up with colon cancer. I originally thought it was just IBS as two of my aunts have it as well, but my lack of abdominal pain makes me think otherwise. I do have another visit with my doctor set up for two weeks from today. I know that it's really unlikely that I have colon cancer at my age, but I just want to know if other people have had the same symptoms and what their problem ended up being.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
KgirlT
(female)

KgirlT HB User
Re: Possible Colon Cancer at 18?

Did you get an answer?

Old 08-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Possible Colon Cancer at 18?

There are cases of colon cancer at your age. My brother was dx with it at 25. My father, and both grandparents died from colon cancer and I have been screen with colonoscopies every other year since I was 21.

Your symptoms could be anything from IBS to Cancer and everything in between. The only way to know if you have something to worry about is to see a GI doctor. They can get you a colonoscopy and get it approved by your insurance if they think it is necessary. They can also do H Pylori breath tests, ultrasounds, CT scans and other test to rule out other things...

Colon Cancer is the slowest growing cancer known...it takes years for it to get to the point that it cant be 100% cured by being removed- but dont wait years to find out.

Reply Reply