It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Blood in stool

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #1
    throwaway4321
    (male)

throwaway4321 HB User
    Blood in stool

Hi everyone,

I'm a 16 year old male and I'm very worried about cancer, particularly bowel cancer. I have been getting many symptoms of it and I am really scared and don't know what to do.

About 12 months ago I began to notice red bits on the surface of my stool, I only noticed blood in the toilet water once or twice and there was no blood on the toilet paper - only red stuff on the surface of the stool. Like the hypochondriac that I am, I immediately assumed the worst case scenario and began to count my days. I told my parents and went to see my doctor a few weeks later. He examined my stomach and told me the blood was likely caused by an anal fissure. I have had a history of getting overly anxious over common symptoms (such as headaches) and assuming that I have the worst case scenario illness from them such as cancer. My doctor and parents both assumed it was just another anxious episode from me due to stress from my exams and that in terms of my physical health it was nothing to worry about.

More recently I have began to notice the 'blood' in my stools and it has got me increasingly worried again. I told my parents and visited my doctor a few weeks ago reporting the same symptoms. I went for a blood test and nothing came up and my doctor said the same as last time, that my blood was the result of an anal fissure and it would be extremely unlikely that I have bowel cancer. Whilst I trust my doctor I still have this terrible fear that I have bowel cancer and just now I passed a stool and noticed the water to be black (possibly black blood in stool - stomach cancer!?) which has completely set my mind off.

Whilst I know that it is incredibly unlikely that I have this type of cancer I cannot shake the feeling that I have some terrible cancer inside me. I'm stuck in between the line of this just being another one of my anxiety episodes or if this really is the real deal and that should be dealt with seriously. However, I feel like my doctor and parents are getting sick of me constantly being worried about nothing and that they are just passing this off as another one of my anxiety episodes. Apart from blood in my stools I don't really have any other symptoms, I have not had any change in bowel habits and don't have any stomach pains. My stools are fairly consistent but occasionally painful after eating some foods (sorry for the gross details!). I am quite tall and skinny but I haven't lost any weight. I do feel some pain occasionally on my anus when I sit down.

After noticing the black water in my toilet I am now extremely concerned that I do have cancer and I'm unsure what to do. Should I try get a full rectal examination or is it nothing to worry about and I should just try my best to shrug it off.

Thanks guys

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Blood in stool

You really are suffering from anxiety. First of all, your doctor is probably right. You are too young to have colon cancer; and fissures and hemorrhoids cause blood in the stools....cancer doesnt always.

If you can, get your parents to take you to see a GI doctor. This is the type of doctor who can treat everything from hemorrhoids to fissures and everything else bowel related. Even cancer. I am quite sure that the GI doctor will do some tests on you and a full exam and find nothing, but if you want to know for sure, thats who you have to see.

Try not to worry. Its not good for your overall health and your doctor is likely right. If nothing showed up in your blood work, there is nothing to worry about.

Try to relax and enjoy the holidays.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
    throwaway4321
    (male)

throwaway4321 HB User
    Re: Blood in stool

Ok, thank you very much! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Reply Reply

Tags
    blood in stool, bowel cancer, bowel issues, cancer