It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Poor anal tone

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #1
kelleybell
(female)

kelleybell HB User
Poor anal tone

Hello, I had a baby back in February 2017. I had a 4th degree tear (through my rectum). At my 6 week checkup my dr was very happy with how I healed and I felt great. 2 months later I started having gallbladder issues and developed greasy stool from not digesting fat. I had my gb out 2 months ago and still have the stool problem, it痴 very hard to wipe clean.

Just to make sure there wasn稚 a functional problem I went back to my OB last week. He said I had less anal tone than at my 6w appt. I was shocked as I had done kegel exercises and felt I have control of my bowels. Today I saw a colorectal surgeon and shectoo said I have poorcsnal tone, but that the underlying problem mughtcdtoll be related to my actual stool.

Now I知 afraid I知 doomed to be in continent. Being told I have poor anal tone has ruined me emotional (as well as physically). I知 38, have 2 young kids, and in pretty good shape other than this. I知 absolutely distraught. I知 going to pelvic floor rehab, but my anis is already damaged, what can they really do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2018, 12:57 AM   #2
suggi
Veteran
(female)

suggi HB User
Re: Poor anal tone

Hi - I feel for you. I got myself poor sphincter tone and rectal prolapse and went to the colorectal surgeon. Since her exam and telling me to push it back in if kegeling did not work I developed an anal fissure too. However mine came from being hypothyrod and straining so I am sure you wont get any worse, esp. since I have started to bend over to kegel and you are not told that. My prolapse now does slip into place so encouraging.

Also, the surgeon said to make sure I did not go to just a pelvic floor PT but to make sure they specialize in rectal problems such as fecal incontinence even if you do not feel that you are incontinent. Its that area that a lot of pelvic floor PT therapists are not really savvy in and could make it worse according to her. So, just in case you were not told that. They are not that easy to find but if you call around and ask before you go you should be able to find one. I was actually leaking water from the anus because of the fissure irritation and that has eased up a bit with kegeling and from what I read the surgery there can damage the sphincter muscle and is more likely to make you permanently incontinent as opposed to PT which I read can really do a wonderful job of actually fixing the problem and hopefully you never will get to the incontinent stage. Just keep kegeling whenever you think of it.

Hope all woks out for you.

Last edited by suggi; 01-13-2018 at 12:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-16-2018, 06:46 AM   #3
DML1121
(female)

DML1121 HB User

Hi,

I completely understand what you are going through. My heart goes out to you!! I had my one and only child, 8 years ago and also had a 4th degree tear. I went through everything emotionally that you are experiencing, due to the tear. I also have the daily leakage, if I don't have that perfect BM. I had all the test done on my sphincter by a colorectal doctor, I had a poor repair. I am still continent for the most part, so I decided to wait on surgery until later in my life. The surgery has a poor long term success rate and does not repair the internal anal sphincter which is responsible for the leakage. I could have the surgery and still end up with the leakage regardless.

It took me 2 years to really come to terms with this tear and how it has left my body. I decided to move on and enjoy my beautiful baby, instead of worrying over the damage to my sphincter and the dreaded daily leakage. It takes a long time to move on, but you will. You are a strong women and you will get through this. Enjoy your life with your beautiful little ones! Feel free to post if you ever have any questions. Its always nice to talk to someone who knows exactly what you are going through. Hugs, Deb

Last edited by moderator2; 01-16-2018 at 07:35 AM.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #4
kelleybell
(female)

kelleybell HB User

Thanks for your reply! Can I ask, did you experience problems right away? I was actually told I was stictchrd up really well... that you can’t even see where the tear was. And this was after my exam last week. I had NO problems until my gallbladder shut down. From February (birth) until about mid May of last year I had no issues with wiping or leakage. That’s why I just wonder if it’s more my stool. As o said, I have no loss of bowel control and never had an accident. If poop is coming I can pinch it back in. I’m just trying to be hopeful. I start therapy in 2 weeks, obviously I want to strengthen my pelvic floor as much as possible so I dont develop worse problems later in life.

Right now I seem to have some leakage after each bm...but my stool is very oily right now. Hopefully that will improve as well.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-16-2018 at 07:35 AM.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #5
DML1121
(female)

DML1121 HB User

I started having leakage right away. Also, not able to control gas. I did the pelvic floor PT and it did help with the gas control. If you only started with the leakage since your gallbladder surgery, then it should get better. The pelvic floor pt will help to. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #6
kelleybell
(female)

kelleybell HB User

Thanks again for your reply! Sorry you are experiencing the same issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML1121 View Post
I started having leakage right away. Also, not able to control gas. I did the pelvic floor PT and it did help with the gas control. If you only started with the leakage since your gallbladder surgery, then it should get better. The pelvic floor pt will help to. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #7
suggi
Veteran
(female)

suggi HB User

Childbirth is the cause of this problem more than you know, but are not warned about....but not much that can be done anyway to prevent it I suppose.

They have all kinds of different ways of doing the repair and one is to attach the rectum directly to the anul sphincter and the rectum itself does not have the muscle ability the anal muscle does so everything just leaks out....why they would do this is beyond me. Sometimes they go thru the abdomen and sometimes up thru the anus. Both ways are not fun and do not always have the desired results.

Apparently just make sure your PT person is very familiar with rectal problems as well as regular pelvic prolapse problems...anyway that is what my colo rectal surgeon told me.

I am still hoping mine is not too far gone for PT to help as I have Graves disease and was overdosed with radioactive iodine to kill off the thyroid gland and am now severely hypothyroid despite being on thyroid hormone replacement. I lost a lot of weight and muscle mass which I believe help contribute to my present problem. Being hypo disturbs the gut motility and you become very constipated and straiing is the last thing you want when you have a prolapse vaginal or rectal.

Good luck to all of us.
Hugs to all.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-16-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Reply Reply