It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

What does diverticulitis pain feel like?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
kanattoo
(female)

kanattoo HB User
Unhappy What does diverticulitis pain feel like?

Yesterday morning I woke up with a full feeling in my stomach. By afternoon, I was having very sharp pains in my lower left front. Now that area is extremely sore and tender to the touch. It hurts when I take a deep breath and pass gas, but it hurts the most when I go from sitting to standing. The only pain I can compare it to is following abdominal surgery (I've had several) when you were very sore and you stand up. I am not constipated. Does this sound like diverticulitis?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: What does diverticulitis pain feel like?

My husband has diverticulosis and when it flairs to diverticulitis, he has cramping pain in his lower left side. Eating seeds (except tomato seeds) usually causes his attacks. I've had occasional left side pain and bowel issues since an (unwarranted) hysterectomy. But I think my issues are related to the displacement of my bowel as well as scar tissue.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #3
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Regarding abdominal surgeries....were they intestinal?
If so, that could be related. But it's good you aren't constipated and can pass gas.

The progress of discomfort starting in stomach (maybe small intestine) and eventually progressing to left sided seems to be peristalsis, spasming, gas....maybe something consumed?

The only way to know would be direct visual via c-scope or imaging (CT, barium).

The other that can cause gastro discomfort could be adhesions that can hinder peristalsis movement and cause gas, discomfort and pain.

Is it possible you could be ovulating? And how are you today?

q

Last edited by quincy; 03-06-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #4
kanattoo
(female)

kanattoo HB User

It's better today, not nearly as tender and only some pains with passing gas. My surgeries were c-sections, an ectopic pregnancy and a hysterectomy. I also wondered if it could be scar tissue? I did not eat anything with seeds, but I do eat granola bars with nuts almost every day, but I've been doing that for a long time and never had issues before.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #5
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

You've been through a lot! Did you have ovaries removed?

The granola can cause gas, but maybe something else you ate disagreed. Do you consume artificial sweeteners? Sometimes they can cause gas if you had them unexpectedly, as in picking up the wrong product.

I suggest you discuss it with your doctor as to the possibility of adhesions if it continues.

q

Last edited by quincy; 03-07-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Reply Reply