It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

bowels

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
Ephraimh
(male)

Ephraimh HB User
bowels

Would anyone suggest how to deal with this? I've emailed my doctor and am awaiting her response.

About two weeks ago my stool became very loose; not watery diarrhea but more of a soft cow patty (gross term but I have to call it something.)

I've started losing control and had a couple of accidents in my sleep. I've been wearing Depends for a couple of years because I've been in a wheel chair for 10+ years and can't get on and off the pot in a public restroom. I can do that at home because we have bars that I hold onto and a toilet lift. Before this recent two-week old problem started, I only "lost it" once. The only pain I'm having is after a dump and it's only a one on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst. I have no fever. I'm 63.

I've been taking anti-epilectics for fifty years and I know that Lamictal & Keppra constipate me. Bananas lock me up, as well. I also take Terazosin, Omeprazole and use a CPAP When this started I stopped eating fruit & sugary sweets and increased my fiber(all-bran buds & metamucil) to soak up the the water.

Are there any foods I should avoid or eat? Or any other things that might help lessen the problem or making it easier to manage? Water-proof drawers over the Depends at night?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: bowels

Oh I am so sorry Ephraim!

It really seems that you are eating way too much bran. The excess fiber is very likely making your stool too watery. Can you reduce the amount of bran and see how that works for you? Avoid bananas at least until you get normal again. Fruit is good for you, but not in excess. Eat a variety of dark colored and leafy vegetables.

The extremely loose stool also may mean that you need to restore the natural digestive flora and fauna. Do a search of words like 'restore natural digestive flora' to find lots of information about balancing the gut.

Medical doctors deal with medicine. But medication is not what balances the good bacteria that is necessary in the digestive system. Eat a balanced diet and don't eat any one thing excessively. For sure the waterproof disposable underwear are a great product for preventing accidents. But I think a diet change will resolve the problem.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 11-21-2018 at 11:00 AM.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
Ephraimh
(male)

Ephraimh HB User
Re: bowels

Yaya,

I think it must have been a "bug" because it's gone after cutting back a little on bran, miralax, and fruit for a few days. Now, I'm locked up and have returned to them. That happens every time I slack off bran for a few days. I drink 68+ oz of clear fluid daily. I get locked up every now and then but never did I lose control. I forgot to include a daily probiotic in my med list.

Thanks

Reply Reply

Tags
bowels