It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Cologuard, how accurate are they

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-30-2019, 06:57 PM   #1
    alhouse
    (male)

alhouse HB User
    Cologuard, how accurate are they

My cologuard report came back positive. Yet I feel that I do not have any symptoms that I am aware of. no blood, stool are usually brown in color, my bowel move 2to3 time a day. had a colonoscopy about 10 year ago and was good. have a doctor appointment next week to schedule a colonoscopy. any feedback would be nice. Thanks. Al.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2019, 12:46 AM   #2
    suggi
    Veteran
    (female)

suggi HB User
    Re: Cologuard, how accurate are they

Hi - hope to ease your mind. I had a positive Cologard test 4 1/2 years ago. Did not have a followup colonoscopy and I am still here with no symptoms. That does not mean you should do the same - I am just letting you know my decision.

Don't know how old you are but I was told there are a lot of false positives in the elderly or if you have hemmys, fissures, IBD.

Good luck - I am sure your doc will have you get a colonoscopy. There are false negatives too so who knows. I suppose it would ease your mind to have the colonoscopy and find nothing in there. I still have not had the procedure even tho they are still after me. I am allergic to the material in the bends of the scope, have many other health issues that would make it difficult for me to have the procedure.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:17 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

My Husband refused to do a colonoscopy, his doctor made him do Cologuard...it came back normal. Fast forward 6 months later he started having GI pain and stool issues- he was sent to a GI doctor who informed him that there are allot of false negatives with Cologuard. His doctor INSISTED he get a colonoscopy... they found 5 polpys which were all precancerous.

Had he not had any symptoms, they would have turned into colon cancer within the next year... I think the doctor said that Cologuard does not pick up any polyps under 3 mms? Once a polyp is bigger than that, it picks them up...the problem is if they are less than 3 mms and you ignore them, they grow...and if they are cancerous, you won't know it until it might be too late.

I will never use Cologuard based on his experience. Too many people have had colon cancer in my family...I have had colonoscopies since I was in my 30s- its a quick and easy test and worth doing!

Old 01-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
    jfms99
    (male)

jfms99 HB User

I had a Cologuard test 2 years ago and it was negative.
    However of late I have been wondering about that and if I should have a colonoscopy. I had one 8 years ago and it was negative, no polyps.

I saw my gastro doctor today to discuss it. He told me the false positives on Cologuard are about 4%. So why I may have had a negative result doesn't mean you should not be checked, it just does not pick everything up. Same for a positive result, it doesn't mean you have problems either.

So my thinking, along with my doctor, was to go on and schedule to have a colonoscopy done and be on the safe side.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Nothing as accurate as a visual....plus, it cant remove polyps.

A c-scope isn't a horrible procedure (the prep is the worst part), and it's better to have it done sooner than put it off till whenever.

I pushed my husband to have his first when he turned 50 (because his mom had colon cancer)... first two scopes he had 2 precancerous polyps removed. The last scope... no polyps, so he goes for the next one at the 5 year point.

Let us know the outcome.

q

Old 01-09-2020, 02:58 PM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Cologuard is full of false negatives and positives....

If you have had a positive Cologuard- GO GET A COLONOSCOPY ASAP! I have had 3 members of my immediate family die from Colon Cancer...its not worth postponing a test which is actually life saving.

Colon cancer is the single most preventable cancer in the world- if you get the colonoscopy and get any possible polyps removed. Cologuard does not pick up polyps under 3 MM....cancer causing polpys at that size are considered stage 2 cancer. A colonoscopy can pick up polpys as small as 1/10 mm. Get them gone before they turn into cancer.

The test itself is the easiest test in the world. The hard part is not eating for 12 hours prior and the whole bathroom unpleasantness....but honestly, who doesnt want to lose 2 lbs of water weight and start the new year with a good cleanse? Get the test done and possibly save your own life. If you wait after having a positive cologuard....you are putting yourself in the high risk group and once it spreads- its too late. Do it now.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:21 PM   #7
    jfms99
    (male)

jfms99 HB User
    Talking Re: Cologuard, how accurate are they

Well today I went and got my colonoscopy. I have control issues so I want let them give me any medications for this procedure.

Anyway I got in there and my doctor came in and we got started. I watched the monitor with him. asked questions, he gave me a running account of what was going on and we got finished in about 15 to 20 minutes.

It is now a weight off my mind, no Polyps or other problems, clean bill of health. So I am glad I had it done and it's now over.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:52 PM   #8
    52ken
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User

It is a choice but I think you are at least doing something. I have an FOBT every year because I don't want to have a colonoscopy unless I have to. If it came back positive I would have another FOBT and if it came back positive then I would have a colonoscopy. I'm 67 and have never had a colonoscopy and that's why I have the yearly FOBT which is something like Cologuard. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #9
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi jfms44...yay, good to hear you had your c-scope and all is clear. Did the doc do any biopsies?

q

Old 01-28-2020, 08:58 AM   #10
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

My Cologuard came back positive. My doctor wanted me to have a colonoscopy.

I looked up the clinical trial results and read the results of the subsequent colonoscopies. The results showed a prevalence of polyps and pre-cancerous polyps and a few actual cases of colon cancer.

I am 75. Colon cancer, from what I have read, can be a slow growing cancer. And... if my Cologuard reacted to polyps or pre-cancerous polyps, estimates are that I could live from 7-10 years, and possibly more with a little luck.

So... for me, at 75 with diastolic heart failure, I have decided to forego a colonoscopy.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #11
    jfms99
    (male)

jfms99 HB User

No, no biopsies, nothing to see or worry about.

Old 01-30-2020, 05:56 PM   #12
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cologuard only shows polpys under 3 mms... a colonoscopy can show them as small as 1 mm.

Stage 2 Colon Cancer starts with polpys which are 3.5 mm.

Why would anyone take a test where it is not guaranteed that they will "see" everything..by the time you repeat it, it can be too late.

Smart of you to get the colonoscopy and pretty cool that you elected to do it awake. Ive had 11 of them, 2 people in my immediate family have died of Colon Cancer- but Ive never stayed awake for it.

Good for you and great news that they found nothing!

Reply Reply