It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Constipation & Fibre

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
    Dhyan
    (female)

Dhyan HB User
    Constipation & Fibre

Hello.
    I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in April.
    Now it is 11th September. I have put myself on a plant-based diet with animal protein however as I thought this would mean I would need less insulin.
    However, whilst being on this plant-based diet (primarily), for about three weeks I have been suffering from constipation.
    By that I mean that I am presently hardly ever feeling the urge to defecate, and when I do think I need to go, the bowel movement is difficult to accomplish. The poo comes out with difficulty, as it is too big to come through the orifice and it is hard and in balls. It is also usually rather dark coloured. The evacuation is so difficult that I have to use gloves covered in Vaseline to remove the poo from my anus.
    Sorry to be so graphic, but that way I can be clear about the nature of the problem.
    I am seeing my GP tomorrow and she will examine me.

I have read a book which challenges the usual approach to this problem of just having more fibre, more water, and moving about more. This book says that in fact having more fibre in particular makes the problem worse, in that it may work for a while to enable more comfortably passed stools, but this will mask the underlying problem which is likely to be exacerbated into more serious problems and disease.

Does anyone else have this experience?
    I am worried that this may indicate some kind of tumour of course ---I did have IBS I believe prior to my diagnosis, probably for a year or two, and just managed that condition which was more about having the urge to go at inconvenient times when I was out and about, meaning that would try to do my toilet in the morning and be done with it, so that I did not risk problems later...and then of course the problem was not about not going so much as needing to go quickly and at inappropriate times, but since being on this plant-based diet, and now seeking a change to that in the last week, it has made no difference. Whether I am on the plant based diet, or now this one , more actual animal protein than plant based stuff, neither has resulted in an improvement of my bowel movements...…

I read that actually more fibre can make the condition worse, and the stools get bulkier and then have even more difficulty coming out of the anal canal. so I have reduced not increased my fibre intake. Anyway of course the plant based diet should already have had plenty of fibre - though I suppose that is what they call 'insoluble' fibre …?

Anyone have any insight into this condition given all that I have described?
    Thank you . In anticipation!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-13-2019 at 01:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply