It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Low secretory IgA and high Beta defensin 2.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
    (male)

9620 HB User
    Low secretory IgA and high Beta defensin 2.

For a long time I have been having stomach problems. It feels as if my stomach is always trembling and there is often pain in many different parts of my stomach. I also often feel sick with flu like symptoms (body/muscle aches etc.)

I had a sample of my stool examined by a company I found online and the results were that everything seemed relatively normal except for the following:

I was tested for 2 parasites and I had both: D. Fragilis and B. Hominis (from what I understand these are quite common and most people don't have symptoms as a result)

Calprotectin was normal.

My secretory IgA was <100 l/mg where 200-2040 l/mg was normal.

My B-defensin-2 was 175 ng/ml where normal was <60 ng/ml.

What should i think about this? I have read somewhere that with D. Fragilis B-defensin is usually moderately elevated but I don't know how elevated that is. Is 175 still considered 'moderately elevated' or is it much higher?

Is the low secretory IGA caused by the parasites or does the low S-IGA make parasites more likely and is it also something in and of itself that I should have looked at?

What should I do? Should I try to have the parasites removed? The company sent me an e-mail recommending I try probiotics but they were also selling these so I'm not sure about their motives.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply