It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Worried! What are these symptoms referring to???

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #1
    sahashd
    (male)

sahashd HB User
    Unhappy Worried! What are these symptoms referring to???

Hi everyone,

Recently, I have been experiencing some very weird symptoms. 5 weeks ago I began experiencing diarrhea and constipation like i would be constipated on monday and tuesday, but diarrhea on wednesday. I started taking some metamucil, a fiber supplement, and it helped ease the constipation. But then, I noticed that my stools were thinner than usual, about half an inch in diameter. Of course I searched it up on Google and the results show up: colon cancer. I panicked. At that time, I had no other symptoms, no loss of appetite or pain in the abdomen. The next few days, some bright red stuff was in my stools. I thought it was blood and panicked again. The red stuff was solid though, and not a lot, but when I used a toothpick and smudged it against toilet paper, it looked like blood.

I called my family doctor and told her my symptoms, she told me it probably was some parasite and ordered a blood test and a stool test for parasites. Both the tests came back negative and she told me it was all normal. Though I was still worried about colon cancer. I am in my early 20s and she told me that this cancer rarely occurs at my age.

I was still optimistic, however. This week I experienced some general pain around my intestines, especially in the morning. My bowel habits were generally normal, and I reduced my intake of metamucil. The pain lasted for a few days, so I took some pepeto-bismol, the pink liquid. The pain eased, but there was something else: black stool. The stool was tar black, and I dont know if it is bleeding in the colon or because of the medicine. I am desperately waiting for answers. Please respond.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2020, 08:02 PM   #2
    4given1
    Veteran
    (female)

4given1 HB User
    Re: Worried! What are these symptoms referring to???

You can relax! Pepto will absolutely turn your stool black. It will go back to normal a couple days after you stop using it.

Old 11-11-2020, 11:12 PM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Good you had stool samples done.
    I suggest you get set up for a colonoscopy.... a visual is better at showing what's going on in there.

Could be ulcerative colitis, Crohn's, diverticulitis, IBS with hemorrhoids....etc.

The pepto will turn stools black.

Get a referral to a gastroenterologist and request a colonoscopy. Guessing and worrying isnt going to change the actual reality. Best to find out the why.

q

Old 11-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
    pcmacd

pcmacd HB User

The black stool is a side effect of pepto bismol (I think it is zinc phenosulfonate causes it?)

A 1/2" diameter stool is often considered healthy.

Metamucil is good stuff, and so is its competitor made from citrus fiber. There are other laxatives that are much gentler than the common stuff, including Senokot, and this little red and white capsule that looks like a football whose name I can never remember.

Reply Reply

« Thin narrow stools | - »