It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Twisting injury muscular or bowel related

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-11-2021, 11:56 PM   #1
    muso
    (male)

muso HB User
    Twisting injury muscular or bowel related

Three weeks ago I injured myself twisting while moving a heavy wheelie bin. As I twisted clockwise sharply there was a really sudden and sharp ripping pain in the lower left abdominal area. This hurt whenever I coughed but after about an hour and a couple of pain killers it no longer hurt when I coughed and settled to a dull left sided lower abdomen ache. Unfortunately the symptoms pretty much matched my diverticulitis flares so initially I thought that I had another diverticulitis flare so I treated it accordingly with a couple of days rest and a liquid diet (that usually settles my diverticulitis flares).
    I went back to work a couple of days later but found that I got very tired and still ached in the lower left abdomen, the abdominal area also felt really weak and hated bending (bending activities don't usually affect diverticulitis problems.

4 days a later I tried to put together a book case for my daughter, the only position I could tolerate was standing or lying down so I assembled the book shelf lying down.
    I went back to my doctor complaining of muscle weakness when walking and trouble bending. He said that sounds more like a muscle injury than diverticulitis. Since it occurred at work I reported it and filled out an injury report form.

I have since had an ultrasound which didn't show much as far as muscle damage, it did however pick up an inguinal hernia. This was considered to be an incidental finding that is not connected to the injury, there are no groin pain symptoms, rather, the symptoms are left lower abdominal muscle quadrant pretty much the same spot as my diverticulitis flare pain.

My doctor has diagnosed muscular strain while twisting which is consistent with my symptoms and mechanism of injury.
    It is 3 weeks now and it isn't getting better, if I do too much I am tired at the end of the day or the next day.

What I am wondering is could this injury in any way be associated with the diverticulitis? I had bloating and stomach pain on the morning of the injury, however the bloating and pain went away pretty quickly like it usually does with a couple of pain Ibuprofen. Could I have actually damaged my bowel when I twisted with the bin?

Apparently abdominal strains can take over 6 weeks or more to settle so I am assuming that's what it is.

I am worried that I have damaged the bowel while twisting with the bin and that the sharp pain as I twisted was from the bowel. However bowels movements are normal and painless and no constipation (I take coloxly).

The lower left external oblique muscle feels somewhat raised and bumpy (swollen) and sits up in a pronounced fashion when compared to the smooth external oblique on the right side. This indicates muscle injury just as the doctor said.

But it has been 3 weeks today since the injury and it doesn't feel any better. I will be back working half days next week but probably won't feel any better than I do now. The lower left abdomen becomes sore and tired every time I bend or do a little work. I sometimes wear a back brace back to front to support the lower left abdomen.

When it hurts I feel a bit sick but have no fever, it's probably because it's in the abdominal area. Other wise appetite and bowel motions are normal.

I am seeing a physiotherapist tomorrow who may well be able to shed some light and begin some treatment. So far other than a couple of quick GP consults (with minimal hands on palpation) and an ultrasound scan I haven't really had any proper treatment.

It is worth nothing that this has caused depressive symptoms of which I am having treatment for. So there is a psychological component as well.

I guess a deeper muscle injury could be missed by Ultra-sound and being a deeper injury will need more than 3 weeks to get better. I just want to be able to feel it getting better.

Opinions would be much appreciated thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2021, 10:51 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Twisting injury muscular or bowel related

I would push for a back x-ray asap...point of pain doesnt necessarily mean thats where injury is.

q

Old 10-12-2021, 03:20 PM   #3
    muso
    (male)

muso HB User
    Re: Twisting injury muscular or bowel related

But the actual lower left abdominal muscles are sore to the touch and raised as if swollen. I realise that the back can refer pain but this is very localised to the area upon palpation. It is very similar to the diverticulitis pain when pressed. But the muscles and diverticular are in the same spot just on different sides of the abdominal cavity.

Lying on my back with straight leg raising doesn't produce any symptoms.
    I don't think it is coming from my back but I will mention it to the physio when I see them today, thanks for your reply

Reply Reply