It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery alternative Guide

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-30-2021, 08:47 AM   #1
    PeterK1
    (male)

PeterK1 HB User
    Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery alternative Guide

I want to add to a small pool of somewhat positive cases. I had my surgery on 7th December, and it was a lot more serious than expected. I had removed two haemorrhoids 4th degree with large skin tags and one 2nd degree. Two 4th degree homaloids were removed with haemorrhoidectomy and the 2nd degree one had been ring blocked.

After the surgery, I was kept in hospital overnight to recover after general anesthetic as my oxygen levels were dropping too low. The surgeon told me that I would be very sore for a quiet long time (around 2-4 weeks), and he gave me 4 weeks of medical leave right off the bat.

For the first 5 days, I was very sore to the degree that I barely could move without causing a lot of pain. I was taking 2x500g Paracetamol tablets every 6 hours plus antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications.

On the 6th day, I started to feel noticeably less pain and I started to reduce the Paracetamol. I also resumed a somewhat normal life except still having a small amount of bleeding/drainage.

On the 8th day, I stopped taking painkillers altogether.

The drainage stopped on the 10th or 11th day.

On 14th day, I started eating solid foods and taking stool softener Movicol.

On the 15th day, I went for a 5km run and some light exercises.

On the 16th day, I had my first bowel movement, which was a little bit painful, and I had to take 1x Paracetamol for the night. Subsequent bowel movements were much less uncomfortable, but I kept my stool soft by taking 2x Movicol a day.

Day 21, I consider myself as fully recovered as it feels all normal. I dropped to 1x sashay a day and I am planning to phase it out within a week.

The story would not be complete if I did not explain my strategy for minimizing pain and the recovery time. Therefore, I have to backtrack a little. As before any surgery, it is usually a good idea to fast. So, I did fast for 24 hours before the surgery with the addition of completely cleaning my bowels with an enema. I assumed that after the surgery, any bowel movement would be very painful and it will prolong my recovery.

So, I decided to continue my usual 22hours intermediate fasting routine, but for the period of 2 weeks, I only drank 250-500ml of tomato juice once a day instead of eating solid food (obviously, I also drank a lot of water in between). Trust me, after 10th day, I barely could look at the tomato juice but, it did the trick because I was able to easily go without a bowel movement for over 2 weeks and I had no constipation during my first toilet visit. I did not want to go for 2 weeks of total fast as this could mess with my guts.

Therefore, not eating for most of the day and drinking tomato juice once a day kept my guts busy but not enough to make me go to the toilet for a long time or get constipated. I easily could have prolonged the tomato juice regime but, I felt good and decided that it was time for the transition to solid food after 14th day.

When I received a follow up call from my surgeon about two weeks after the surgery. My surgeon was very surprised that I was not in pain. I think he did not believe me when I told him I went for a 5 km run.

Anyhow, I may be wrong, but I attribute speedy recovery with minimal pain to juice/fasting routine. I hope this can be helpful to anybody willing to do it. Please give me feedback if you did it as I wonder if it is a useful method to anybody except me.

Just on the side:

If you can pick the time of the surgery, do it in the summer as it will be far more comfortable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply