It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Hard stool and related problems

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-23-2022, 02:53 PM   #1
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User
    Hard stool and related problems

I used to have a bowel movement easily each day. I got concerned when there were days I didn't go at all, but I learned that it's normal. Well, now I have occasions (usually every week now) where I don't go for 2 days in a row.

Probably related to this, I've been having times where what I put out is hard stool, and can be VERY painful to get out. I have to push for around a half hour, and as hard as I can before it comes out. Definitely not normal. I had a physical exam recently and mentioned this, but my doctor didn't have much to say about it in response.

At first, I took stool softener pills and they seemed to work. But now they don't, even if I take them regularly. I started drinking a lot more water because I heard dehydration can be a cause, and that seems to be helping a little bit. I've always had a high fiber diet (oatmeal twice a day, black beans, spinach) which is said to help. Just today, I had a bowel movement, but again, that's after not going for the past 2 days. It came out, however not as easily as it should, but not as hard as it has been sometimes.

I'm concerned that I have an underlying issue causing this. Any ideas? I sure hope it's not a symptom of colon/rectal/bowel cancer. From what I've looked up online, I haven't seen anything specific to that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2022, 04:04 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Hard stool and related problems

Taking a probiotic may help. Are you taking calcium? That is SUCH a culprit for this!

Old 01-23-2022, 04:29 PM   #3
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Taking a probiotic may help. Are you taking calcium? That is SUCH a culprit for this!
    The only calcium I take is part of a multivitamin I take a few days of the week, but it only contains about 17%. I drink about a gallon of milk each week, which would be the next biggest source.

Old 01-23-2022, 05:04 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Any cheese? It will constipate as well.

Old 01-23-2022, 05:32 PM   #5
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Any cheese? It will constipate as well.
    Just on a small pizza, and that's only on Mondays. Oh, and Macaroni and cheese on Saturday with leftovers on Sunday. No more than before I started having this problem.

Reply Reply