HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bowel Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/)
-   -   Anal Fissure, What to do ? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/131591-anal-fissure-what-do.html)

litroy 12-03-2003 03:42 PM

Anal Fissure, What to do ?

Hi all,
Though the battle with my hemorroids is near an end, I'm starting to get this splitting pain everytime I have a BM in the morning and start to bleed a little again. This pain is a bit unfamiliar compared to the hemorroid's irritation pain during BM. I've been on Metamucil/high fiber diet with plenty of water diet. The stool is medium soft, but I have to push somewhat to get it started, and that's pretty painful.

I think I might have an anal fissure, but I can't see the cut at the anus, can anyone tell me how to deal with anal fissure and how not to cut it even deeper during BMs ? Thanks so much

Troy

quincy 12-04-2003 12:34 AM

Re: Anal Fissure, What to do ?

[COLOR=DarkGreen]The fissure is probably "hiding" in one of the anal folds. It's hard to see them..unless it's bleeding. You could squat over a mirror to take a look-see. Not a pleasant position...unless you get someone else to look :eek:

Proctocetyl (by prescription) works really well, as does just hydrocortisone cream (over the counter).

I have Ulcerative Colitis...and when I'm in a "good state", my stools are more formed, that's when the hemorrhoid comes up as well as the one fissure I have. Nothing like being 100% preoccupied with one's butt, sheesh, not even a break when things are going well. I prefer to have a softer stool, even diarrhea because I don't have to contend with them.

You may consider to increase the vitamin C in your diet, or coffee...they are both bowel stimulants -- or foods you think will cause a softer stool. What if you cut back on the fibre just a bit?, but still kept the water intake.

After a BM, make sure the area is clean (hand shower works great), and then apply the cortisone cream liberally. It takes about a week until it's healed.

Hope you feel better soon,
quincy[/COLOR]

litroy 12-04-2003 02:33 PM

thanks quincy, I will get a look and see session, sigh...I was kinda constipated today, guess I have to get some stool softener...

quincy 12-04-2003 10:51 PM

The doctor suggested for me to docusate sodium. I can't remember the prescribed dosage, it would be on the box....but I did notice a difference. I used them for a few months...then I ended up in a UC flare, so back to diarrhea.

I hope you heal soon,
Nothing like being preoccupied with one's butt, one problem after another. ;-b

quincy

lbp35 12-05-2003 03:46 PM

litroy, I just got back from my colorectal surgeon who had me using diltiazem cream for my anal fissure. My fissure is not very painful, so I was not sure how much I was improving. Anyway, she was ready to give me a botox injection when she looked at the fissure and said it was nearly healed. She gave me the botox anyway (which hurt) and I will continue the diltiazem. The key to healing for me (along w/ the cream) was to keep my stool as mushy as possible. I did take 2 colace daily along with 2 bowls of raisen bran (a.m and p.m) and drank prune juice(yuk). But it seemed to help, the bleeding stopped 2 weeks into starting this but it did take a month for me to start healing. I also took warm baths every night. I hope this helps because i know what you people mean about obsessing(about your butt!)