It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Anal Fissure, What to do ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2003, 03:42 PM   #1
    litroy

litroy HB User
    Question Anal Fissure, What to do ?

Hi all,
    Though the battle with my hemorroids is near an end, I'm starting to get this splitting pain everytime I have a BM in the morning and start to bleed a little again. This pain is a bit unfamiliar compared to the hemorroid's irritation pain during BM. I've been on Metamucil/high fiber diet with plenty of water diet. The stool is medium soft, but I have to push somewhat to get it started, and that's pretty painful.

I think I might have an anal fissure, but I can't see the cut at the anus, can anyone tell me how to deal with anal fissure and how not to cut it even deeper during BMs ? Thanks so much

Troy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 12:34 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Anal Fissure, What to do ?

The fissure is probably "hiding" in one of the anal folds. It's hard to see them..unless it's bleeding. You could squat over a mirror to take a look-see. Not a pleasant position...unless you get someone else to look

Proctocetyl (by prescription) works really well, as does just hydrocortisone cream (over the counter).

I have Ulcerative Colitis...and when I'm in a "good state", my stools are more formed, that's when the hemorrhoid comes up as well as the one fissure I have. Nothing like being 100% preoccupied with one's butt, sheesh, not even a break when things are going well. I prefer to have a softer stool, even diarrhea because I don't have to contend with them.

You may consider to increase the vitamin C in your diet, or coffee...they are both bowel stimulants -- or foods you think will cause a softer stool. What if you cut back on the fibre just a bit?, but still kept the water intake.

After a BM, make sure the area is clean (hand shower works great), and then apply the cortisone cream liberally. It takes about a week until it's healed.

Hope you feel better soon,
    quincy

Old 12-04-2003, 02:33 PM   #3
    litroy

litroy HB User

thanks quincy, I will get a look and see session, sigh...I was kinda constipated today, guess I have to get some stool softener...

Old 12-04-2003, 10:51 PM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

The doctor suggested for me to docusate sodium. I can't remember the prescribed dosage, it would be on the box....but I did notice a difference. I used them for a few months...then I ended up in a UC flare, so back to diarrhea.

I hope you heal soon,
    Nothing like being preoccupied with one's butt, one problem after another. ;-b

quincy

Old 12-05-2003, 03:46 PM   #5
    lbp35
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lbp35 HB User

litroy, I just got back from my colorectal surgeon who had me using diltiazem cream for my anal fissure. My fissure is not very painful, so I was not sure how much I was improving. Anyway, she was ready to give me a botox injection when she looked at the fissure and said it was nearly healed. She gave me the botox anyway (which hurt) and I will continue the diltiazem. The key to healing for me (along w/ the cream) was to keep my stool as mushy as possible. I did take 2 colace daily along with 2 bowls of raisen bran (a.m and p.m) and drank prune juice(yuk). But it seemed to help, the bleeding stopped 2 weeks into starting this but it did take a month for me to start healing. I also took warm baths every night. I hope this helps because i know what you people mean about obsessing(about your butt!)

Closed Thread