It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Question to Harry about magnesium citrate, please reply

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2003, 12:10 PM   #1
    borak
    (female)

borak HB User
    Question to Harry about magnesium citrate, please reply

Harry,

In one of your posts, I read that you take Magnesium citrate daily, I heard magnesium is a laxative, can we take it daily? And in another post, you wrote that you take antioxidants daily, what are they?

I need to lubricate my rectum to stop the hemorrhoids being irritated by stool passage. I have a general question, what happens if I use rectal suppositories daily just to lubricate rectum, what are other alternatives to use for that purpose?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: Question to Harry about magnesium citrate, please reply

Hi borak,
    Yes - Magnesium in some forms is a laxative like Milk of Magnesia, Citrate of Magnesia and Epson Salts.

In low doses magnesium is essential-- probably the most essential of all minerals. Calcium and potassium cannot be absorbed without it.
    In the US we are the biggest drinkers of milk/ dairy products and the largest users of Calcium supplements in the world but also have the most osterporsis of all nations because we are deficient in Magnesium.

I take Magansium Citrate as a supplement --- 400mgms daily. It is not the best form of magnesium but it's OK. 400mgms daily is the Recommended daily Allowance(RDA) for Magnesium.

Magnesium comes in many forms apartate, glycinate, lysinate chelate-amino acid, orotate, malate, oxide and other.

It is best to take it 2 or 3 times daily to increase the absorption. If you take it in one large dose daily -- the absorption goes from 35 to 40% to less than 15%.

It can interfear with your sleep if taken late at night but many people take it with calcium at bedtime with no problems.

~~~Antioxidant are supplements that help protect the body from Free Radicals. These free radicals can damage cells causing the immune system to be affected that leads to more infections and help prevent some degenerative diseases like cancer and heart problems. Some scientist think it even slows the aging process down. I guess you won't know until you get old and function and look younger???

Some antioxidants are vitamins C, E, A, beta carotines, selenium, zinc, CoQ10.

Alpha lipoic acid and grape seed extract are 20 to 50 times stronger than vitmins E and C. Garlic is also an antioxidant and there are others.
    I started taking the vits before I knew anything about antioxidants. I convinced myself that the others are worth while. Some are right costly but you can buy them online as much as 80% discount. Antioxidants are also in many fruits and veggies. I take these supplements because I just want to make sure I get enough. It would be very worth while in these days of pollution and all the processed food additives to do some serious reading about --Antioxidants!!!

Basically using antioxidants --destroys free radicals thereby protecting the body by detoxification. As you may know 1 person in 4 gets cancer and the leading cause of death in America is heart related problems.

~~~~I take psyllium to regulate my BMs. It absorbs water --- bulks up the stool act like a cleaner for your intestines and with your stools being softer like with water it acts like a lubricant.

I have been using Metamucil or Equate from Wal Mart for 21 years and have not had a flare-up since I began. Before using it, I had hemorrhoid problems and even had surgery. I think It's a Healthy think to do!!! Your Intestines need 20 to 30 grams of fiber daily to functin properly. All fiber is not the same.

Sorry --long answers to simple questions.
    God Bless--- Harry

Old 12-08-2003, 10:03 AM   #3
    borak
    (female)

borak HB User

Harry,
    Thanks for the reply. Its amazing that you haven't had a flareup since 21 years, I wish I could be in that situation. Can you please let me know whats your diet everyday and what times do you take them? How much metamucil will you take and what times? I am female 29yrs. Though I am taking full dose of Citrucel 3 times a day, I am still having incomplete bowel movement and it will become hard next day, so I sometimes take stool softener also, I drink a lot lot lot of water, probably around 12 12oz glasses. Why are they not helping me? I am vegetarian, I dont eat eggs also, I don't consume coke or alcohol and also no milk products like cheese,butter or milk, but I will have approximately 1/2 cup yogurt during dinner. I will have 1 bowl of raisin bran for my breakfast and also for lunch. Dinner will be with rice,vegetables and yogurt. Is there something wrong with my diet? What should I do to have complete bowel movements?
    Thanks a lot for your time.

Old 12-08-2003, 04:20 PM   #4
    borak
    (female)

borak HB User

I have one more question: When we say we need 20-30 grams of fiber daily, is the fiber we are referring to soluble or insoluble? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-08-2003, 10:37 PM   #5
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Question to Harry about magnesium citrate, please reply

Borak,
    The fiber amount ---20 to 30 grams is both soluble and insoluble. Make sure you drink enough water with your Citrucel doses-- It absorbs water then and not later.

I don't eat any dairy products except yogurt --Stonyfield Farm 3 times daily. For breakfast I eat yogurt, cereal usually Rice Chexs or Life with Rice Dream and some fruit (grapes, pear, banana or cantalope or honeydew melon) vitamins and a glass of Metamucil and about 6 ounces of water.

~~Lunch is a Toss salad or cole slaw or sliced tomatoes, chicken or fish, several steamed veggies like asparagas, broccoli, carrots, green beans, green peas, etc but usually just 2. A serving of rice or potatoe. No fried food and rearly eat any red meat. I sometimes eat Chinese Food -- Chicken Chow Main with added broccoli& snow pea pods and no MSG or salt.

Supper I usually repeat breakfast sometimes I eat a turkey sandwich with spinach and sliced tomatos on whole wheat or rye bread w/ mayonaise and a glass of Metamucil.

For a snack I eat yogurt or nuts and a piece of fruit, rice or corn cakes. But not all and about 4pm and 9pm

I take alot of vits, minerals and supplements with each meal.

If I want to diet I substitue the cereal with 2 ounces of turkey or baked chicken and even canned salmon on occasion.

I only drink water--steamed distilled 6 to 8 glasses daily and I add trace minerals to it.

As you know everyone is different and this is what works for me. I have a BM usually once between 9--10 each morning--- pretty complete.

I don't ever eat fast food but when we go out to eat it's usually for seafood which I usually eat fish broiled and on occasion eat scallops.
    I wish you well in your search for what works for you???

God Bless---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 12-08-2003 at 10:49 PM.

Closed Thread