It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• constan diarrhea

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2003, 06:44 AM   #1
    cazajacks
    Veteran
    (female)

cazajacks HB Usercazajacks HB Usercazajacks HB User
    Unhappy constan diarrhea

Has anyone else been in a similar situation to me and may be able to give me some advice????
    I am a 39 yr old female and had a very bad bout of diarrhea in April this year (03) well in August this diarrhea came back and i still have it today. ( now had it for four months)I go to the loo (diarrhea) every single day of my life, there is no blood or mucas, i feel exhausted. It will sometimes wake me in the middle of the night and i have to run to the loo, for the first time this week i have actually not made it to the loo (how embarressing). I have finally been to my doc who is going to make me have a camera thing done but i have to wait a couple of months on a waiting list. I am so scared i have cancer i don't want to wait this long... My doc also said it could be bowel disease but he does not think its crohns nor diverticulitus, what is bowel disease and does anyone know the symptoms of bowel diesease. I do hope someone can help as i am very frightened
    p.s. have had four female members in my family die of cancer but none of bowel, one uncle has died of bowel cancer.
    Thank you

Cazajacks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2003, 07:08 AM   #2
    popsicle

popsicle HB User
    Re: constan diarrhea

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazajacks
    Has anyone else been in a similar situation to me and may be able to give me some advice????
    I am a 39 yr old female and had a very bad bout of diarrhea in April this year (03) well in August this diarrhea came back and i still have it today. ( now had it for four months)I go to the loo (diarrhea) every single day of my life, there is no blood or mucas, i feel exhausted. It will sometimes wake me in the middle of the night and i have to run to the loo, for the first time this week i have actually not made it to the loo (how embarressing). I have finally been to my doc who is going to make me have a camera thing done but i have to wait a couple of months on a waiting list. I am so scared i have cancer i don't want to wait this long... My doc also said it could be bowel disease but he does not think its crohns nor diverticulitus, what is bowel disease and does anyone know the symptoms of bowel diesease. I do hope someone can help as i am very frightened
    p.s. have had four female members in my family die of cancer but none of bowel, one uncle has died of bowel cancer.
    Thank you

Cazajacks
    Have you had any blood tests done?

Waking up in the night with diarrhea is something often associated with either Crohn's or colitis. Doctors tend to think that you have to have blood or mucus in your stool in order to have Crohn's or UC but that is not true. I'm not sure what the symptoms of bowel cancer are but to me it sounds like IBD, if anything at all. Have you had bowel problems during your life? Any stomach pains or cramping? Vomitting? Weight loss?

Old 12-08-2003, 07:18 AM   #3
    cazajacks
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by popsicle
    Have you had any blood tests done?

Waking up in the night with diarrhea is something often associated with either Crohn's or colitis. Doctors tend to think that you have to have blood or mucus in your stool in order to have Crohn's or UC but that is not true. I'm not sure what the symptoms of bowel cancer are but to me it sounds like IBD, if anything at all. Have you had bowel problems during your life? Any stomach pains or cramping? Vomitting? Weight loss?
    I am now going to have some blood test done for TSH, CEA, full blood count, ESR, Urea/electrolytes i don't know what any of these mean though, this is what is says on the form. I only get cramps as a 2 minute warning that i need the loo, then i know i need to run and if i don't get to a loo it just comes out, i also get a lot of rumbling noises that give me a 2 minute warning that i need to get to a loo as well. No vomitting at all, and i don't think i have lost any weight, (can't find my scales). The only other thing that has happened to me was about 18 months ago i had my gall bladder out due to stones, and when they tried to remonve it it had attached itself to my bowel so they had to disect it bit by bit from the bowel very carefully??
    I am well in myself apart from tiredness but this is porbably due to having an underactive thyroid. The doc said it can't be crohns but he didn't say why.
    Thank you

cazajacks

Old 12-08-2003, 07:24 AM   #4
    cazajacks
    Veteran
    (female)

Unhappy Re: constan diarrhea

Quote:
    I am now going to have some blood test done for TSH, CEA, full blood count, ESR, Urea/electrolytes i don't know what any of these mean though, this is what is says on the form. I only get cramps as a 2 minute warning that i need the loo, then i know i need to run and if i don't get to a loo it just comes out, i also get a lot of rumbling noises that give me a 2 minute warning that i need to get to a loo as well. No vomitting at all, and i don't think i have lost any weight, (can't find my scales). The only other thing that has happened to me was about 18 months ago i had my gall bladder out due to stones, and when they tried to remonve it it had attached itself to my bowel so they had to disect it bit by bit from the bowel very carefully??
    I am well in myself apart from tiredness but this is porbably due to having an underactive thyroid. The doc said it can't be crohns but he didn't say why.
    Thank you

cazajacks
    OOOPPPS One thing i did forget to mention was i also have a constantly itchy bottom, so itchy i make it bleed where i keep rubbing it with toilet paper and i also leak more diarrhea whilst doing this, and i feel this terrible urge to bear down.

Old 12-08-2003, 07:40 AM   #5
    popsicle

popsicle HB User

Quote:
    Thank you

cazajacks
    Well you could be having diarrhea due to the removal of your gall bladder. Have you tried using antidiarrheals? It is quite common to have diarrhea after you've had your gall bladder removed but you would think your doctor would have mentioned this.

Your butt is going to be itchy and irritated if you're going a lot. Try baby wipes or something wet to clean after going.

Old 12-08-2003, 09:17 AM   #6
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile Re: constan diarrhea

Quote:
    Thank you

Cazajacks

Hi there and so sorry for your troubles. I have to agree with the other poster that your diarrhea problem may be due to gall bladder removal. However, usually this problem appears right after surgery and if it's bile salt diarrhea, it will continue chronically even after the body is healed from GB removal. I know you mention that the urge comes on at night, which may be indicative of IBD, although only your doc can diagnose that.

Bile salt diarrhea symptoms (at least for me and some other posters I've read) are as follows: urgent need to "go" with possible incontinence, urge to have BM happens during or shortly after meals, diarrhea may be watery or soupy and bright yellow or tan in color, usually explosive when it does occur.

I don't know if this matches your symptoms, but please try to push your doctor to have your tests done sooner. You should not have to suffer for this long. If it is bile salt diarrhea, taking a bile acid sequestrant like Questran or Colestid (both are prescription drugs) may help. Colestid has been a godsend for me - I will be on it forever, but it now controls my diarrhea so that I have daily solid stools. The urgency is still there, but now I can make it to the bathroom.

Good luck and keep us posted,
    Katie G

Old 12-08-2003, 11:02 AM   #7
    cazajacks
    Veteran
    (female)

Hi Katie, you are spot on it seems to be when i have eaten that the diarrhea kicks in, i went out friday night and drunk wine and had a meal and that is when i had my first accident and didn't make it to the loo quick enough, i notice if i have a heavy meal or a curry or something i know within an hour or so i will be dashing to the loo with bad rumbling noises coming from my belly (and the noises can be really loud) i get a sort of dull cramp in my lower back and front then i go to the loo, then afterwards i get the ursge to sort of bear down, go to wash my hands and then have to run back again and go a loo again. Mine is also tan in colour and is so explosive if i am in a public loo i flush the chain first so no one can hear the explosion, then i have to clean the loo up afterwards. I only have to go at night if i have had a late meal or a heavy meal (which isn't that often). Please tell me more if you can i would be very interested to hear of what symptons you had, did you have you GB removed. Thank you for your help.

Carolyn

Old 12-09-2003, 07:55 AM   #8
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Hi Katie, you are spot on it seems to be when i have eaten that the diarrhea kicks in, i went out friday night and drunk wine and had a meal and that is when i had my first accident and didn't make it to the loo quick enough, i notice if i have a heavy meal or a curry or something i know within an hour or so i will be dashing to the loo with bad rumbling noises coming from my belly (and the noises can be really loud) i get a sort of dull cramp in my lower back and front then i go to the loo, then afterwards i get the ursge to sort of bear down, go to wash my hands and then have to run back again and go a loo again. Mine is also tan in colour and is so explosive if i am in a public loo i flush the chain first so no one can hear the explosion, then i have to clean the loo up afterwards. I only have to go at night if i have had a late meal or a heavy meal (which isn't that often). Please tell me more if you can i would be very interested to hear of what symptons you had, did you have you GB removed. Thank you for your help.

Carolyn
    Hi again Carolyn. Yep, your symptoms sound very much like bile salt diarrhea. Check out this topic on [url]www.gihealth.com;[/url] that's where I got some useful information along with posters who responded to my pleas for help a year and a half ago.

Basically, my story is this - I began having digestive problems back in 1996, and eventually severe and chronic pain from an inflamed gall bladder - had it removed in March '97. I've had a 20+ year history of IBS-D, and after GB removal, my diarrhea began to get worse. Daily attacks of urgent cramps, and need to find a bathroom NOW! Sometimes I made it, sometimes I didn't. I didn't know about bile salt diarrhea back then; I just thought my IBS was getting worse, and I would just have to live with it. Sometimes antidiarrheals helped control the problem. Then my bowels seemed to straighten out somewhat, until I had Nissan fundoplication in 2001 due to severe GERD/Barrett's esophagus. Then life was over for me. Every time I ate or drank anything (especially my morning cup of coffee and at lunch), I would have the sudden urge to go and rarely made it in time. I didn't always have cramps or any real warning, just suddenly the stool was there and on it's way out! It was always runny (soupy or watery), bright yellow or tan, and explosive. I can't tell you how many times I wore a sanitary pad to work hoping I wouldn't soil my clothes or if I did have an "accident" I would use the excuse that I had the "flu" and needed to go home. Or in the a.m. I would have 5 or 6 trips to the bathroom in 20 minutes times, and then I'd try to avoid eating again until I knew I could be near a bathroom.

I found this board in August 2001 when I was about suicidal. My life revolved around my bowels and how would I get through a day without an accident. I posted a question about my problems with incontinence/diarrhea and responses were so helpful. First I tried increasing my fiber with Metamucil and taking Caltrate + D (some people report calcium can be constipating), with a few weeks of relief. However, the diarrhea returned, and anti-diarrheals couldn't even stop it. My doctor tried Bentyl, but it really did nothing to control the problem either. Someone on this board posted to me about "bile salt diarrhea" and described my problems to a "T". I did some on-line research too, and took articles into my doctor about bile salt diarrhea and the use of Questran or Colestid to control it. These drugs are usually given for high cholesterol in higher doses than what's needed to control chronic diarrhea. My doctor was willing to try me on Colestid for one month, and if my diarrhea did not stop, I was to agree to colonoscopy to look for inflamatory bowel disease or Crohn's.

I started on 2 Colestid every a.m. and the dosage could be adjusted if needed. Carolyn, within 48 hours (I kid you not!) I had my first formed stool in several years. And it has been heaven since, let me tell you. I no longer have the explosive diarrhea related to eating, my stools are solid and a typical brown color (sorry to be so graphic), and I no longer have to worry where the nearest bathroom is. I have not missed work due to diarrhea since starting the Colestid over a year ago. I will never give it up.

Basically, what happens when your GB is removed is that the liver dumps bile directly into the small intestine during digestion - for some of us unlucky ones, this process acts like a laxative thereby causing significant diarrhea. The Colestid is like a sponge - it is not absorbed into the bloodstream like other cholesterol-lowering drugs (like statins), and it basically "soaks up" the bile being dumped into the intestine. Your body still digests and all, but now the bile is in a controlled amount since the Colestid has soaked up the excess. Most people do not need to take more than 1-3 pills a day to help with bile salt diarrhea. Usually 4-8 pills are recommended for cholesterol control. One side effect of Colestid is constipation, but for those of us with bile salt diarrhea, constipation is not an issue!

Sorry my post is so long, but it may be worth researching and going back to your doctor. Not all doctors believe in this method of diarrhea control, so take articles into him/her for backup. I know if you posted a survey related to how many have received help for bile salt diarrhea by taking Colestid or Questran, almost all would report relief.

It doesn't work for everyone (unfortunately, nothing is guaranteed), but I know it worked for me. I still try to intake adequate fiber and calcium supplements too, but it was the Colestid that got my life back.

Keep me posted,
    Katie G

Old 12-09-2003, 09:46 AM   #9
    DAnn73

DAnn73 HB User

Hey there. I'm just posting to back up what Katie said. I had the exact same problems she was having and after doing a bit of research I took some information to my doctor about Questran and she decided to give it a try. I had my gallbladder out in the summer of 2002 and my life was miserable until I started taking the Questran. It's definately worth a try. Like Katie said, I too still have the urge to go, but NOTHING like it used to be. I can eat lunch at work (something I couldn't do because I'd be in the bathroom all afternoon), I can go OUT to eat, I don't have to "scope out" the bathrooms everywhere I go...it's amazing the difference it makes. Give it a try, it's been a miracle drug for me.....and GOOD LUCK!
    DAnn

Old 12-11-2003, 04:55 AM   #10
    cazajacks
    Veteran
    (female)

Thank you so much Katie and DAnn, i really needed to hear your stories as i have found i seem to have gone into a massive depression and can't stop it, i keep crying and i am so frightened i am going to die of cancer, i have 2 disabled children to look after and my fear is for them not me. I am so glad to hear your stories as they have made feel a bit bitter. I am now going to look at the site Katie's given me, but also i am going to read up about Immodium, i have been taking this for the last 2/3 weeks and i am now feeling so unwell, i feel really depressesed (never had depression in my life beofre) i feel really severly exhausted and so tired and run down, also i have not been able to go to toilet now due to these tables. So they are working but too much??? I must find out if the Immodium is making me feel so ill? I have just had lots of blood tests done at the hospital and i am hoping something may show up in theses, the DR included on the blood test form to test my liver for something?? also my thyroid is to be tested as well as i have an underactive one.
    Thank you so much for your help, i feel so alone in all this as i have no family near me to help, only my hubby so i don't really have anyone to ask advice from.

Thank you

Carolyn ( i will keep you informed)

Old 12-11-2003, 04:57 AM   #11
    cazajacks
    Veteran
    (female)

Katie and DAnn the message above is meant to read you have made me feel a bit BETTER not bitter, sorry just can't seem to spell at the moment.

Carolyn

Old 12-11-2003, 08:43 AM   #12
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smile Re: constan diarrhea

Quote:
    Thank you so much Katie and DAnn, i really needed to hear your stories as i have found i seem to have gone into a massive depression and can't stop it, i keep crying and i am so frightened i am going to die of cancer, i have 2 disabled children to look after and my fear is for them not me. I am so glad to hear your stories as they have made feel a bit bitter. I am now going to look at the site Katie's given me, but also i am going to read up about Immodium, i have been taking this for the last 2/3 weeks and i am now feeling so unwell, i feel really depressesed (never had depression in my life beofre) i feel really severly exhausted and so tired and run down, also i have not been able to go to toilet now due to these tables. So they are working but too much??? I must find out if the Immodium is making me feel so ill? I have just had lots of blood tests done at the hospital and i am hoping something may show up in theses, the DR included on the blood test form to test my liver for something?? also my thyroid is to be tested as well as i have an underactive one.
    Thank you so much for your help, i feel so alone in all this as i have no family near me to help, only my hubby so i don't really have anyone to ask advice from.

Thank you

Carolyn ( i will keep you informed)

Hi again Carolyn and a big cyber hug to you - I know what you're feeling, big time! When my diarrhea was out of control, I was SO depressed, and thought I'd have to quit work (and I make double what my husband makes so we'd be in hard times). I tried Immodium too, but it made me feel "stopped up" and bloated, and then the diarrhea would return anyway. Bentyl (prescription) did nothing for me either - just gave me a dry mouth and drowsiness; the diarrhea still occurred.

Colestid has been the only thing that's given me my life back. My heart aches for you because I was you a year and a half ago. Rather than thinking you have cancer or a serious illness, read about chronic diarrhea and the use of Colestid or Questran to control it. You may want to talk to your doctor about trying it.

Hang in there - I'm thinking of you and sending good thoughts to you today,
    Katie G

Old 12-11-2003, 12:26 PM   #13
    Marg001

Marg001 HB User

Hi Cazajacks,
    I am a person that had Ulcerative Colitis. I am sorry for what your going through. I have been there. I am just wondering what your diet consists of, because you had mentioned curry, and I know that can even bother a person that does not have Crohn's or Colitis. I know it's easy for me to say but there are so many different things that they can do now for people suffering with Colitis and Crohn's now. What maybe you should do is to eliminate certain foods and then slowly add them into your diet and by that maybe you can determine what foods are making your bowels act up. I hope that your test comes back good and let us know what happens. Take good care!
    Quote:
    Thank you

Cazajacks
    Two months later had to go back and have Illestomy closed.
    Now almost 1 year having chronic lower back pain due to Spondylolesthesis, and DDD, and also still have a 31 degree curse to back.
    Also have a dextro-scoliosis and a levo-scoliosis.

Old 12-14-2003, 01:53 PM   #14
    cazajacks
    Veteran
    (female)

Thank yo both for replying, i have now stopped the imodium as i cannot go to the loo at all now?????? I know the diarrhea will eventually come back so am being very carefull with what i eat. I have had my blood tests back and my thryoid has gone to low again, doc says this could be why i feel so depressed suddenly and so unwell. My lady doc (who is lovely) said that if the first doc i say thought i had cancer he would have sent me for an emergency camera thing( i don't know what its called) so that has put my mind at rest a little bit, i have got to wait 6-8 weeks. Also lady doc wants to do more blood tests b12? and cealiac disease???/ iam going to look this up. Thank you so much for helping me i am just so grateful.

Hugs

Carolyn
    cazajacks

Old 12-14-2003, 03:48 PM   #15
    missv

missv HB User

Quote:
    OOOPPPS One thing i did forget to mention was i also have a constantly itchy bottom, so itchy i make it bleed where i keep rubbing it with toilet paper and i also leak more diarrhea whilst doing this, and i feel this terrible urge to bear down.

I had my gallbladder out when I was 18...I am now 33....I starting having the same problems that you are and my doctor put me on Cholestramine...it is a resin bile binder. My stomach was still producing the bile and way too much acid, which used to go through my gallbladder...as long as I take this cholestramine (one scoop in about 4 oz of OJ), I can eat anything I want and have regular bowel movements. Once they test and all turns out fine...ask your doc about this...the other name for it is Questran. It has worked like a charm for me.

Closed Thread