It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Weird Symptoms. Need Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-14-2003, 07:02 PM   #1
    bono

bono HB User
    Question Weird Symptoms. Need Help

Since last August I have suffered from Ibs like symptoms bloating, cramping, constant mucus passage and numerous bowel movements (formed stools). I was told by my GI that I had ibs he put me on Bentyl it worked for about the first three days then BANG, back to square one. I went back, he did a colonoscopy. He found two inflamed areas in my rectum which he said was proctitis. He put me on azulfadine but I couldn't tolerate it, so, then he switched me to Asacol, the only other problem is i'm among the 3% that can't break down the pill on a consistent basis. I have been on that for five weeks. All of my major symptoms, the cramps and bloating have vanished. However the two things that seem to bother me the most are this urge to constantly excrete mucus, Not stool. Just mucus and rectal sensitivity.

I'm not talking about once or twice a day I'm talking sometimes 40 to 50 times! around fives to six times every hour for nearly the whole day. I mean just when I think i can't do anymore it happens. Now, mucus excretion is a symptom of proctitis, but my doctor thinks since mine was not ulcerative and mild that the proctitis should have went away within the first two weeks even with the fact that I can't break down the pill all the time. I have managed to make through periods of five days straight and seven days straight without any mucus. I have been reading about IBS but I can't seem to find anyone with this problem. I am serious, 40 to 50 times on a real bad day and on a normal day 7 to 10 times just mucus no stool present just looks like someone spit in the toilet. I just keeps coming sometimes, its so distressing. Sometimes its crystal clear I can barely see it but I can feel it. Most of the time however it is a yucky yellow color. This seems too be the only problem that I can't get rid of. I have normal bowel movements, two to three a day, no mucus around them or anything except when I am excreting mucus. They are not loose or lumpy, no constipation. I am bungled by this. Please if anybody knows anything or has a suggestion It would be very helpful,

Thank You, Bono

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2003, 09:00 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: Weird Symptoms. Need Help

Sorry about your problems. I am certain you are very concerned.

The times that I have mucus related problem means I am not eating properly and intaking enough fiber to clean the mucus out of my intestines. A person needs 20 to 30 grams of fiber daily for their intestine to work properly. Are you sure you're intaking that much ----on a daily basis??

As you know your body secrets mucus as a normal function and there are foods that add to the problem like dairy products as well as others.

I use psyllium twice daily to bulk up my stools and clean my intestines out!!! I take Equate brand from Wal Mart--- it's like Metamucil.

Old 12-14-2003, 09:53 PM   #3
    muslimlady

muslimlady HB User

I HAVE THIS! I just posted about this question and i should have read your post first! i have the jelly like stuff ALL DAY EVERY DAY! with the constant urge to go have a BM but nothing comes out! you? i have not seen a dr yet, because i did not know how to bring it up! embarresing if you ask me right? what kind of dr do i even go to? please keep in touch, thanks
    Muslimlady

Old 12-14-2003, 09:59 PM   #4
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Weird Symptoms. Need Help

You need to see a Gastro Entorologist!!!

Old 12-15-2003, 02:38 PM   #5
    gillian30

gillian30 HB User

I've been on Bentyl for cramping feelings in my abdomen and intestines, and have noticed my abdomen is swollen slightly and at times painful since I've been taking it. Did you experience any of that while on Bentyl? How did your colonoscopy go? Did your pain make it a very difficult procedure to endure?

Old 12-15-2003, 04:21 PM   #6
    bono

bono HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gillian30
    I've been on Bentyl for cramping feelings in my abdomen and intestines, and have noticed my abdomen is swollen slightly and at times painful since I've been taking it. Did you experience any of that while on Bentyl? How did your colonoscopy go? Did your pain make it a very difficult procedure to endure?
    Its so hard to tell because with the proctitis I couldn't tell which feeling is which. The only two things I noticed from Bentyl was 1 it was very ineffective and two it caused some sexual side effect. The procedure went fine however the prep taking horse sized viscol tablets and ginger ale ripped my inside apart, my butt was so sore I telling you If I would have had a gun, BOOM. It was that bad anything would have felt better than that experiance.

Old 12-18-2003, 08:23 AM   #7
    RickF

RickF HB User

I have had the same symptoms for the last 4 years or so. I have to "go" many times an hour from the early morning, till mid-day. I also developed enormus internal hemmeroids which I had surgery on last week.

The hemmeroids changed my symptoms quite a bit, or thats the way it seemed. I am begining to remeber what this was like with out them slowly as I heal.

In reading your initial post, I know exactly how you feel, and wish you luck. I have never found the root cause, and have had every test imaginable. Most doctors disagree on what I have, which has been frustrating as you can imagine.

If I ever do find the problem, I will come back and let this board know what it is.

RickF

Old 12-21-2003, 10:53 AM   #8
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

Bono, I read this thread as per your requesting me too and yes you could have crohn's or ulcerative colitis. You definitely don't just have IBS as you never get any irritation (ulcers) with that. It may just be the proctitis the doc mentioned. I think you should request to see a GI if you haven't already. Good luck and keep me posted. If you can't find me here look on the pain management board, I'm there a lot.

Closed Thread