It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

chronic stomach problems

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2004, 08:51 PM   #1
Nicolee

Nicolee HB User
Angry chronic stomach problems

I am new to this site so, hello! Ever since my first child was born 4 years ago, I have had chronic nausea. It's not severe or debilitating, but it is very distracting and ruins my day. I have done everything I can think of to figure out what it's from. I have had every x-ray imaginable. Gallbladder, kidney, lower GI, blood tests etc. I have done allergy diets to see if perhaps I'm sensitive to a particular food. Nothing is helping. I had a second child that was born a year ago and nothing has really changed. I just get nauseaous sometimes everyday, sometimes once a week, it's very sporadic. I have very regular bowel movements and eat very healthy and exercise regularly. I am not taking any medication either. I get frequent stomach aches too. I am 30 years old and maybe only 10 or 15 pounds over my "ideal" weight. I feel like an 80 year old woman sometimes because of how crappy I feel. I RARELY feel "good." It's always something. I became a vegetarian about 6 months ago and have never allowed junk food in the house. I can't figure it out! Also, since my most recent child was born I have had chronic gas since. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac which doesn't help with the stomach trouble. I have had panic episodes and am a worrywart too. Thanks for reading and ANY advice or support or anyone with similar complaints are completely welcome and appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 06:56 AM   #2
luvmyboys

luvmyboys HB User
Re: chronic stomach problems

Nicolee,

I know how you feel. When my kids were born 5 and 8 years ago it was like my body turned on me. I felt sick all the time. I even became more sensitive to medications that I used to take with no problems. I have had just about every test done too and have even been to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. They couldn't find anything drastically wrong with me either. I do take prevacid and carafate for my stomach. The only thing it really does is cut down the acid which I never even knew I had a problem with. The carafate seems to make my bm's more solid and not quite as many stomachaches. Doctor said something about bile salts being absorbed by it. I never had heartburn, but the doctor said there was inflammation in my esophagus and stomach only very mild though. My stomachaches would leave me feeling nauseous all day and scared to eat anything. I am actually having one of those days today. I too am a hypochondriac worse now than before I had the kids. It's hard to enjoy your life and kids when you feel so bad all the time isn't it? I feel like I miss out on a lot sometimes and have regrets. I feel like my kids will always remember me as a mom who was always sick even though I'm not "sick". I just don't feel sick. I, too, have tried healthy eating as opposed to eating whatever sounds good to whatever I want. No difference really. I have tried antidepressants. My digestive tract doesn't like them either. I do take xanax to calm my nerves. That seems to help a little. I feel like a failure as a wife and mother because I never used to feel sick all the time. I have IBS so it was only occasionally. Now it seems to be a lot of the time. And when I'm not feeling sick, I worry about why and when it's going to start again. It's to the point where I'm afraid to feel good or have fun because the sick feelings come out of the blue and ruin everything creating a bad memory.

I hope I didn't depress you, but I felt that your post described me to a tee. Everyone pretty much thinks I'm nuts when I told them it started after I had my kids. It was always very manageable and tolerable and didn't stop me from doing things before. Let me know if you have any solutions. Take care.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:34 AM   #3
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: chronic stomach problems

Hi,

The only thing that I could think of that could cause such a problem is that the friendly bacteria in your gastrointestinal system may be out of balance. This can cause an overgrowth of a bacteria like candida resulting in nausea.

Since candida is a normal part of our GI digestion, if it gets slightly out of balance no tests are available to detect it but it certainly can mess up your feelings and produce nausea.

I get this every time I take a round of antibiotics after only 4 days or eat too salty types of foods or too much carbs or sugary foods. Candida as well as other types of yeast thrive on sugar/ simple carbs like potatoes.

I have to take a probiotic supplement twice daily and eat yogurt to re-balance the friendly bacteria. Sometimes I have to take an anti-candida remedy or drug like Nystatin. I am now using a OTC remedy named Kolorex --- it helps. There are other types at the health food store available ---from Garlic to remedies that contain capillic acid.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 01-19-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
Nicolee

Nicolee HB User

Thanks for writing back. I think I'll try taking some pro-biotics. I too, feel like a bad wife and mother. I've also thought of my kids remembering me as always sick, and I don't want that! I feel like I'm always missing out.

Old 01-24-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
akahoneypotqt

akahoneypotqt HB User

Have you ever been checked for helocobactor pylori? It is a bacteria that causes ulcers (or can) in the stomach.

Last edited by moderator4; 01-24-2004 at 09:37 PM.

Closed Thread