It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

terrified of colonoscopy,HELP!!!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2004, 10:19 AM   #1
Jenetti
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
terrified of colonoscopy,HELP!!!

Hi,
Ive got an appt with a GI tomorrow . Have been having lower right pain since thanksgiving (not appendicitis). Have had a cat scan, and several xrays done. After having being admitted to the hospital over the holidays due to severe pain, my primary doctor is sending me to see a GI to set up a colonoscopy .

I am absolutely TERRIFIED of this procedure, although it will be my first. A bit of my past history. I also have fibromyalgia, cfs plus IBS, and a very bad painful spine due to osteoporosis. I am on daily hydrocodone, plus soma plus other meds. I am SICK and TIRED of HURTING every single day due to my health that, the "thought" of more pain ( colonoscopy) just terrifies the heck out of me. I'm not talking just nervous, I mean to the point of it making me nauseaus and sick just thinking of the extra pain I will be in.

I know they give you a mild sedative during the procedure, but, that is NOT calming me down at all, trust me. Can anyone please give me some words, to make me feel better??? Please??
JEN

PS, EDITED to include, ALL this extra stress has caused my fibro to FLARE up worse.

Last edited by Jenetti; 01-19-2004 at 10:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 11:41 AM   #2
lady68
(female)

lady68 HB User
Re: terrified of colonoscopy,HELP!!!

Hello jenetti,

Please do not worry about your colonoscopy, you will see everything will be just fine. I've had colitis for a few years and I had several colonoscopies done. Even though I suffer from severe anxiety I always did my scopes without any sedatives. It is a little uncomfortable but it isnt painful. I feel the worst part is cleansing your intestine the night before.
So Jen, don't worry and keep us posted.

Take care,

Hugs,

Lady

Old 01-19-2004, 01:58 PM   #3
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi Jen,

I can relate, I felt the same about my first one. I trusted my doctor, was comfortable during the procedure (good meds) and got to see everything on a small monitor.

The meds are good, they can knock you out or just give them continually to get you through the rough spots. At least you have a choice.

Air is put into the bowel to make room for the scope. It can be uncomfortable, like a severe diarrhea cramp....I just ask for more meds.

I don't get knocked out for it either, but do like having the meds because I don't think I could relax enough for the scope to go round the bends. Also, I watch it on the monitor which more than makes up for the night before purging.

Let us know how you're doing tonight...it's normal to be nervous, but think of it this way....it's the ONLY way biopsies can be taken and a good look-see done. If you've never had a barium enema x-ray done.....that's much WORSE from my perspective. You get to rest afterward, you'll be expelling a lot of air too.

Post tomorrow to let us know how it went for you. The anticipation is always worse than the procedure.

Best to you,
quincy

Old 01-19-2004, 01:59 PM   #4
suzi47cmt

suzi47cmt HB User

Janetti,
I agree, relax. I know how anxiety can make it worse. Dont fret. I have had crohns disease for 30+ years, but I still remember those feelings before my first colonoscopy. It was all for nothing. It will be over before you know it. The sedative they give you is usually Versed, and it acts sort of like an amnesiac. You dont even really remember a thing about the procedure, and you will be fine.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Suzi

Old 01-19-2004, 02:33 PM   #5
bruised

bruised HB User

I had a colonoscopy done and there was nothing to it!I was under for about half an hr and when I woke up,I was fine.I had no pain in my butt.Nothing.The procedure itself I think is about 5-10minutes.In and out and on to the next person.Really!The only pains I got were from taking those laxitives before the colonoscopy procedure.2 days of crapping until it turned green!That was not fun.The colonoscopy was a breeze for me.

Old 01-19-2004, 03:43 PM   #6
Jenetti
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
Thumbs up Re: terrified of colonoscopy,HELP!!!

Thank you ALL so very very much for all your replies. I won't be having the procedure done tomorrow. Tomorrow I will just be meeting the GI doc for the first time although I was sent to him so he could discuss my pain and set up a time for the procedure.
Just knowing I was going in to DISCUSS the procedure is enough to make me stressed out, but you guys have helped me alot, trust me. I think I will definately feel a bit better knowing you guys went thru it and came out ok and didn't mention pain as a big part of it. Also, I will make sure they will give me MEDS (enough meds) to carry me thru the procedure. I would like to be able to close my eyes, open them back and TADA, its over, but i dont think its quite how it works for everyone huh? HOPEFULLY it WILL for me.

Thanks again everyone so very MUCH! I really appreciate it and I will post after the docs appt and see what he says and when he sets it up for.
Thanks again everyone!
Love and hugs,
Jen

Old 01-20-2004, 11:04 AM   #7
Jenetti
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

UPDATE!!!!!

Well, I went in to meet the GI doctor today. I was pleasantly surprised and RELEIVED. He was the nicest person, making my hubby and me laugh and just made us feel very comfortable. One thing he said about the tests results that i had done (xrays, ct abdomen scan, etc). He said he noticed RIGHT away, that i have a longer than normal bowel (colon)? . He said that is WHY i am probably having problems with constipation AND PAIN. He says no matter what, I tend to be backed up. He said he wanted me to have the colonoscopy. He also said that due to my colon/bowels being longer than normal (for my size) that he wanted me to be completely under as in he ordered an anisthesiologist to be there and put me completely under. (WHEW!!!!!) I have to tell you i am so relieved and that has put my fears to rest. The only bad thing i guess is that he says depending on what this test will show, the "worst" scenerio , if meds and diet dont work, is that surgery might have to be performed later. He said in his opinion, half of my bowels/colon, would be removed, to be more compatible for my size. He said hopefully tho, with meds, diets, and another med that would clean me out occasionally i might do well and not need the surgery.
The colonoscopy is scheduled for Feb, 20th. I will need to start prepping for it, SEVERAL days , lol in advance as opposed to the day or so before. I will need to be on a liquid diet for a week before i even prep. WOW!! i must have a long long colon. lol.
Thank you all and i mean it from the bottom of my heart and LONG COLON, lol, you made it easier for me to even go see the GI doctor. Thanks again and may you have a great day!
Love,
Jen PS will update you after the colonoscopy

Old 01-20-2004, 10:34 PM   #8
suzi47cmt

suzi47cmt HB User

Janetti,
that is wonderful. I am SO glad that you have such a nice GI doctor. Sounds like you have an unusual little "twist" to you anatomy (pardon the pun). LOL

Good luck, glad we could all help.

Take care.

Suzi

Old 01-21-2004, 12:19 AM   #9
BrianKosh
(male)

BrianKosh HB User

The preparation for a colonoscopy is worse than the procedure itself, if u find that thinking about this procedure is making you uncomfortable, ask your doctor to prescribe you a few mild tranquilizers,.. not a bad idea since u might not sleep to well 24 hours before hand.. On the day of the procedure, tell the nurse who is prepping you that you are nervous and that u don't have a high tolerance to pain, another words make sure they knock u completely out for the procedure. The colonoscopy takes 10-15 minutes and that is it.. Follow what the doctor instructs u to do, before and after the procedure, try and not have the procedure done on a friday, so if the following day you feel u are having ANY issues, the doctor will be in the office to take your calls and try to make u feel better... u may feel a bit discomfort with the air the pump in, to enlarge the colon a bit, the discomfort will pass... When u awaken after the procedure and have ANY issues, tell the nurse(s) so they can have the doctor take a look or prescribe u something to make u feel better... I have had 3 of these procedures, and I am sure there are others who have had a lot more.. I will probably have these on a yearly basis, and although It is nothing to look forward to, It has to be done.. hey, at least now you can assure and explain to others who feel like u did before your first one.. but hey, there is one thing, that has gotten me through a lot of issues, and as mean as it might sound, it works 98% of the time.. and that is, there is always someone worse off than u r.. If this doesn't work, a tranquilizer and sleep usually will... good luck..

Old 01-21-2004, 05:50 PM   #10
Jenetti
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Hey Suzi,

Yes, Im sooo pleased with the new doc. HAHA about the twist in the anatomy LOL.

Hey Brian,

OH you are SOO RIGHT HON. I WILL BE UNDER lol for the procedure. Thanks for the replies and info and i will make sure that i will ask questions before i go home as to what to expect. Im sorry you have had to go thru so many. May i ask why you are getting them? If youd rather not say i will understand. Yea, Im not looking forward to the preparation before hand, but oh well, needs to be done. Will probably be and running to the br all night long lol.
Take care
Jen

Closed Thread