It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Bleeding after sigmoidoscopy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2004, 06:41 PM   #1
    michaelfloyd
    (male)

michaelfloyd HB User
    Bleeding after sigmoidoscopy?

hi. i had a sigmoidoscopy today and biopsies were taken. i haven't had a full bowel movement yet... however i did go a little and there was (what seemed to be) a decent amount of blood. not like a toilet bowl full or anything... but a decent amount.

the biopsies were taken in a place where there was some mild inflamation of the bowel which has apparently been causing my bleeding that i went in for in the first place (doctor thinks colitis, but has to wait on the biopsy report to say for sure), so i don't know if that would have an effect on this or not. this blood is definately related to the sigmoidoscopy though.

i have read that some bleeding for a few days afterwards is normal if biopsies are taken... but i made this thread to see if anyone here has had this issue after a sigmoidosopy and how long it lasted.

there's not really any abdominal pain or anything... a little discomfort still from the procedure, but nothing major.

thanks,
    mike

Last edited by michaelfloyd; 01-20-2004 at 06:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 11:00 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Bleeding after sigmoidoscopy?

Hi Mike.....yes, my last scope I had mega biopsies taken throughout. I've had UC for 15 years and wasn't in a flare at that time. I did bleed slightly for a day or two, that's it. Then everything was back to normal.

The blood will pool and seem like more if you've only had a small bm. Don't worry about it...you'll soon find out what the inflammation is from and hopefully be put on medications to get things under control.

quincy

Old 01-22-2004, 08:49 AM   #3
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User
    sigmoidoscopy? does it help you??

I've read all the posts regarding sigmoids and colonoscopies and not one poster mentioned that the procedures Found something wrong, they were Treated for it and now they're fine.
    Has no one been made Better by these examinations' findings and subsequent treatment? Or are they done, the doctor writes findings down on your chart then tells you to come back for another exam.

Old 01-22-2004, 11:05 AM   #4
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

SusanGene,
    Colon exams reveal causes of bleeding due to hemorrhoids, diverticulars, polys and cancer. The doctors detect the problems and outline a course of action.

I know several people that have had polys removed that were pre-cancerous and bleeding, also 2 that had cancer sections of the colon removed because of the exams.

As you may know Colon cancer is the second cause for cancer related deaths -- second only to lung cancer. If people had these exams when they first discover problems -- colon cancer deaths would be greatly reduced.

Quincy related his problems with IBD --ulcerated colitis. Crohn's disease is something doctors also look for -- find and treat!!

So, the answer is YES many people are treated because of the exams. These fiber optic scope exams of the entire colon have only been available a little over 20 years.

What a big jump in diagnosing colon problems. Also, endoscopes use in the stomach & esophagus for ulcer and GERD.

Harry

PS You haven't read them all but I really have on Heathboards since October, 1999 !!

Last edited by Harry; 01-22-2004 at 11:10 AM.

Old 01-22-2004, 09:37 PM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

SusanGere,

Have you had one and not been diagnosed? I'm missing the point of your post. Most of the questions relating to colonoscopies or sigmoidoscopies are specific, not general. We answer accordingly, and I and others who have experience usually state what we had it for, what the diagnosis was.

I'm on Asacol 8 daily and Salofalk rectal retention enemas (at this time every 3 nights because of a minor flare). I was diagnosed with UC 15 years ago and I have an absolutely AWESOME doctor.

I had 36 biopsies the last time, slight inflammation up the entire left side. My UC is limited to the rectum/sigmoid. No cancer..thankfully (because with UC cancer is always a concern). I'm doing quite well at this time with a life-long disease.
    I hope that was enough info.

So, how many scopes have you had?

quincy

quincy

Closed Thread