It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Mid Left Abdomen Pain. Help?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2004, 09:05 PM   #1
akahoneypotqt

akahoneypotqt HB User
Unhappy Mid Left Abdomen Pain. Help?

I HAVE BEEN HAVING THIS ON AGAIN, OFF AGAIN PAIN IN MY LEFT ABDOMEN. ABOUT 1 INCH BENEATH MY BELLY BUTTON & TO THE LEFT ABOUT 4 INCHES. ( AMLOST NEXT TO THE BELLLY BUTTON BUT ABOUT 3-4 INCHES AWAY) I HAVE HAD A PELVIC ULTRASOUND THAT WAS NEG. IT DOESN'T STAY ALL THE TIME, BUT WHEN IT DOES IT ALMOST FEELS LIKE THE BURNING WHEN YOU GET A SHOT. IT STAYS FOR A DAY OR TWO AND THEN GOES AWAY. MY DR. THINKS IT IRRITABLE BOWEL SYMDROME. I DON'T KNOW. IT'S SCARY. I DON'T HAVE AN APPENDIX ANYMORE, AND AM TERRIFIED OF COLON CANCER OR SOME UNKNOWN TERRIBLE DISEASE OF THE BOWELS. ! YIKES!. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
P.S. I AM A VERY NERVIOUS PERSON ON MEDS FOR ANXIETY/PANIC DISORDER. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE NICE. I DID HAVE A COLONOSCOPY ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO THAT HAD NOTHING AS WELL. THANKS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Mid Left Abdomen Pain. Help?

It sounds like trapped gas that is causing cramping or spasms?? Keep us posted on any developments??

Old 01-26-2004, 12:45 AM   #3
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Mid Left Abdomen Pain. Help?

Hi,

If you're female, it could also be endometriosis. I don't think ultrasound will show it. How does it compare to your monthly cycle?

Again, if you're female, have you had a tubal ligation? It could be adhesions.

It could be ovulation.....some women ovulate more than once a month.

I would have suggested as Harry's of gas or active bowel.

Just by chance, is it at any particular time of the day that it happens? Have you considered keeping a food diary?

If you have IBS, one can be quite bothered by worry and stress. Many people find that just by changing the foods they eat at a particular time of the day can lessen some symptoms.

I have U Colitis as well as IBS. I'm somewhat lactose intolerant, and by adjusting foods depending on my daily schedule, my discomfort is much less.

I also use a medication called Bentylol (Bentyl in the US) which is used for stomach/gut cramping. It works well for me.

Also, I've added acidophillus with bifidus to my regimen....it helps also with discomfort.

I hope you get some relief soon. I can certainly relate to the endless cycle of testing.

Best to you,
quincy

Old 01-28-2004, 05:17 AM   #4
hairrazor

hairrazor HB User
Wink Re: Mid Left Abdomen Pain. Help?

Hello I know how you feel as I get the same problem. I have suffered cronic constipation all my life and found no help from the doctor or hospital. I go for weeks without going to the loo and have to take stuff to make me go. That is when I get those pains on the left side. It is like a knife pushing inside me. I don't get the pains when my bowel is full, only when I have been.I do think that peppermint herbal teas help a bit. Like you I am nervy and panic sometimes.I think that if only doctors could be more sympathetic I would feel that they cared.Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. Hairrazor

Last edited by moderator4; 01-28-2004 at 06:58 AM.

Closed Thread