It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Metamucil forms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2004, 04:35 PM   #1
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User
    Metamucil forms

Hey everyone,
    I'm new to this board and have a few questions. I am 20 years old and having some bowel issues. Most of the times I go to the bathroom, my stools are pretty hard, dry, and bulky. A few times I have even caused there to be a little blood but not often. Usually they are just annoying because they are so difficult to pass! I know that they sit in my colon for a while because I don't go that often due to them being hard. Anyways, I am wanting to try Metamucil and I am wondering if all the forms it comes in are equally as effective???? I noticed that most people that use it on this board seem to use the powder form, but the capsule form looks more appealing to me. Do they work the same?? Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: Metamucil forms

The active ingredient in Metamucil is psyllium seed husk and the capsules works just as well. A rounded teaspoon of the powder is 3.4 grams so you'll have to take a dose about that much and they come in 550 milli-grams to 870 mgrams. So, with the smaller cap you have to take 5 or 6 capsules 2 or 3 times daily. My wife uses the 870 from the Vitamin Shoppe and takes 3 after breakfast and 3 after supper.

You just have to drink enough water with each dose because it does absorb fluid to make your bowels bulky and sorta water logged but easy to pass.
    Psyllium being natrual does cause gas so start off slow and with continued use it'll go away.

God Bless---Harry

Closed Thread