It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Contradicting Information....Harry can you help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2004, 04:41 AM   #1
    lucky2289

lucky2289 HB User
    Contradicting Information....Harry can you help?

Harry,
    I have been given so much contradicting information that I am left utterly confused. I read all the praises of Metamucil on this board for the treatment of constipation, my GI tells 'no Metamucil take Miralx it is much better', and my Colon-Hydrotherapist tells me that Metamucil (and like produts) are the worst thing you can do and than she clears out impactions from these types of things all the time. She swears that people need to get ALL their fiber from food not supplements. I NEVER have the urge to go to the bathrroom. The Miralax is useless, all it does is make my stool so watery that it isn't even satifying when I DO have a BM, which is the case most of the time. I developed functional constipation about two years ago. So stubborn in fact, that I have gone 2-3 weeks with no BM, despite various treatments. My GI says I have one of the most stubborn cases he has ever seen. He said that during my colonoscopy he found that my colon is completely limp, there is no muscle tone at all, it just 'lays' there and that we have to retrain it. It is my understanding that the colon has to have something to work against in order to have the proper muscle contractions, so I do not understand all the stool softners he has me on. They just make my stool like water, completely un-satisfying, and they do nothing for my bloat and constant need to have a 'good' BM. However, he is reluctant to do any type of surgery because he feels because of my age (32) and my otherwsie great health, this is something we can treat and retrain my colon. I stay bloated all the time. The ONLY time I am not bloated is after a colon hydrotherapy treatment. I go one a month for a cleansing and she gets out so much disgusting (sorry) stuff. For days afterwards I feel great, my stomach is flat, I go to the bathroom, but then slowly but surely, the constipation and bloat returns. I take vitamins and probiotics, and activated charcoal for the gas that builds up, Flax Oil, and Digestive Enzymes. I eat plenty of fiber in both forms, everyday, and drink about 64 ounces of water a day. I decided to try the Metamucil because it has helped so many on this board, but I am afraid of it causing an impaction or making things worse. I know it is all about the water you drink with it, but I already I already find it hard to drink the water I do because I stay so bloated and full feeling. Do you have any suggstions or can you help me make some sense of all the 'different' things we are told? One thing that I am proud of, is despite how horrible I feel most of the time, I do not use stimulant laxatives anymore, but it is very hard not to. Sometimes I just want to say, forget it, and take somehting just to get some relief! What about Aloe, is it a safe to use? I am so miserable I am willing to try anything!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2004, 10:07 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Contradicting Information....Harry can you help?

Hi,

I just wanted to ask one question. You never mentioned anything about the foods you are eating (I haven't checked your previous posts, tho). What does your daily food intake look like? Basically, the question I'm asking is....are you eating enough food consistently, or are you having long periods during the day of not eating?

quincy

Old 02-05-2004, 12:22 PM   #3
    lucky2289

lucky2289 HB User
    Smile Re: Contradicting Information....Harry can you help?

Quincy,
    I start each day with a tall glass of warm water with lemon and take a Probiotic and then have some coffee - IF I am going to have a BM, this is when it usually is. If I don't have one then, then forget it, I won't have one at all. Routine is very important for me to have a BM. I think that is why I always get terribly constipated when we go on a trip of anykind. After having some coffe, I eat a big bowl of Kashi (6gm of soluble fiber and 5gm of insoluble fiber) and I put a couple TBS of dried cranberries on it, then I take two digestive ezymes and drink another small glass of water. I usually have a mid-morning snack which is a small apple or yogurt. Lunch is usually a sandwich on whole grain bread with romaine and lean meat (no cheese) and two more digestive enzymes. I usually do not eat anything else until dinner which is early (between 4:30 and 5:00) but I sip water throughout the day. Dinner is some kind of meat, veggies like broccoli or cauliflower, and a salad. Sometimes I have a side of beans (anykind) but I try to keep my carbs down at dinnertime to maintain my weight. I normally do not eat again after this, but if I do get hungry, it is something very small and healthy. I drink about 2-3 cups of hot green tea a night and I do Pilates 3-4 times a week. This is a typical diet for me 6 days a week. I will admit that on the weekends we usually go out and I will eat out sometimes twice in a day, but even then I try to eat something with my meal that is a good high fiber choice.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:46 PM   #4
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Lucky,
    Gee with such a user name it's gotta have a great effect in someway.

I will tell you what I know and what I think you should do!! There are many--many laxatives that are available but there are only 4 basic classes that I know about---

1.--- Bulk-forming agents
    2.--- Stool Softeners
    3.--- Osmotic agents
    4.--- Stimulating laxatives

All laxatives fall into one of these as far as I know.

The bulking forming agents increase the bulk and water content of the stool. They are the only type that are safe to take daily. These include psyllium, methylcellulose and bran --in food and supplements. Metamucil cantains psyllium and is a natrual fiber but the husk contains 95% water soluble fiber and in some brands the entire seed is ground up and contains 65% soluble and the rest insoluble. Citrucel contains methylcellulose. The bran is the oat brand. Wheat bran is insoluble fiber and not a bulking agent. The insoluble type fiber alone does not need water but just passes through sorta unchanged and really is not a buking agent. With all of the others you have to drink enough water/liguid with each dose and psyllium causes gas. So,start off slow. The gas usually goes away if your intestines are mobile.

For your intestines to function properly you need 20 to 35 grams of fiber daily both soluble and insoluble types.

I like and use psyllium (now Equate from Wal Mart) and have for about 20 years along with food.

Stool Softeners-- such Colace and Ducolase also mineral oil.
    They soften the stool or fecal matter so it can pass through more easily. Mineral oil can coat the intestines and cause nutrients not to be absorbed. One problem with the other mentioned is that they contain docusate sodium that can increase the effects of other drugs that you may take at the same time.

Osmotic agents promote the secrection of water to your colon and are safe if used occasionally but if used more than occasionally you can become dependent. This is the type that causes your stool to become watery like Milk of Magnesia, Citrate of magnesium, Epson salts, Lactulose, sorbiol and you guessed Miralax. Using these over a long time I think you will lose the muscle tone in your colon. Passing watery does not allow you to absorb vital nutrients properly.

Miralax is Polyethylene glycol -- went I first saw the name I thought it was antifreeze which is poison ethylene gylcol. But, of course it isn't. I have not read anything that says this type of laxative is safe to take daily. As you know I am not a Doctor--- but I question the continued use of this laxative?? It seems logical that a watery stool is not very good for you.
    This type does irritate your intestines but I think you know that already.

Stimulant type laxatives irritate the intestinal wall causing contractions thats called peritalsis. And of course can cause bowel damage with continued use--- Senna, Senokot, perideim, cascara, castor oil, Dulcolax, Peri-Colace are some examples.

You need to get some muscles working in your intestines.
    I think you need to take a stool bulking agent, use a glycerine suppostory to start contractions and sit on the toilet daily at the same time.

All meat/seafood and dairy products contain no fiber---
    Insoluble fiber are wheat bran, nuts, green beans, and cauliflower and bananas. Soluble fiber is in grains, beans any fruit and veggies that absorb water. This not a complete list!!

There are some minerals & amino acids that you may lack that are needed for muscles to work properly like protein and like magnesium, potassium, calcium--etc.

God Bless---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 02-06-2004 at 06:29 AM.

Old 02-08-2004, 04:59 AM   #5
    lucky2289

lucky2289 HB User

Harry,
    Thank-you for all your information,. The only time I am not bloated is after I have a good BM (rarely) and after I have a colonic. I do already take the Nature's Way Probiotic you mentioned. I take one a day, do you think I should up it to 2-3 a day? I already take so many pills, sometimes I feel like I have pills for breakfast. I have started with the Metamucil. I am just starting off with it in the morning and will slowly add more until my body adjust. I think I might try the powdered activated charcoal for gas, as the capsules do not seem to be doing anything. I have also doubled my fiber intake. I bought some Multi Grain WASA crakers and much on those for snacks - they are very high in fiber and all natural. It is really hard for me to drink all this extra water right now, with being so bloated already, but I am keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully it will pay off. I hade a very good BM yestreday and felt a lot better, so I will keep up with the Metamulcil, extra fiber, and extra water....
    Take care
    Andrea

Old 02-08-2004, 06:49 AM   #6
    Jenetti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenetti HB User

Lucky,

I'm one who has been using Miralax for almost a month now. It's what my GI doctor said to use and he prescribed it with refills and said it was safe to use everyday. I was SO HAPPY to be able to go without having to resort to a suppository to start it off or something that I thought FINALLY something that works , is safe and will take care of the problem.

I'm seriously RETHINKING THIS tho. Like Harry says, i think your bowels tend to start relying on this and I don't want to just have BM, but to have one as naturally as possible without all the meds needed.

It's true, with Miralax, its been watery stools since I started on it. Sure he (GI DOC) said to regulate it and adjust it to suit my needs but, ANYTIME i USE it, its still watery stool, doesnt matter if i use the prescribed dosage or cut it back by more than half. For some reason, it just doesnt feel like ive had a complete BM if you know what I mean.
    Im having a colonoscopy on the 20th of this month, so maybe he'll have something else to say after the tests.
    I don't know what i'll try next since i cant seem to be able to tolerate the metamucil, something with it (ingredients, i just dont know) doesnt agree with my system.
    Harry you might not be a doctor, but youre certainly an
    Lucky hope you start feeling better soon.
    Jen

Old 02-08-2004, 07:32 AM   #7
    lucky2289

lucky2289 HB User

Jenetti,
    You are absolutely right about the Miralax. No matter how little I used, it still gave me watery stools and I was never having a complte, satisfying BM. The results of my colonoscopy were that he found my colon was looped and had lost all it's muscle tone. He said it is just 'laying in my gut'. The key to me overcoming my constipation is strengthening my muscle therby inreasing peristaltic action. I have had a BM twice now, which for me is a miracle. I am still bloated and gassy from the increased fiber and Metamicul, but I am hoping to either adjust or find something that helps with that. I am drinking at least 80 ounes of water a day, eating about 35-45 grams of fiber (split equally betwen insoluble and soluble), taking Metamucil each morning, taking diestive enzymes with each meal, and taking a Magnesium supplement and Probiotics morning and night. I am keeping my fingers crossed, since this regimen is already having more results than anything I have tried in the past (though it has only been a few days). As I said, the bloat is now what I am hoping will get better. I am very tall and slim, but my belly looks like I am about to give birth...
    Take care
    Lucky..

Old 02-08-2004, 01:11 PM   #8
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Andrea,
    I don't know how you drink that much water daily. The importantant thing is to drink enough when you take Metamucil because if you don't it will constipate you.
    I stopped up my sink one time witn a bottle of powder psyllium that was old and did not mix well-- I was just getting rid of it. I had to take the goose neck off under the sink and literally dig it out.
    Let us know how you're making out??
    Take care---Harry

Old 02-08-2004, 07:01 PM   #9
    lucky2289

lucky2289 HB User

Harry,
    I drink 3 - 24 ounce bottles a day, plus an eight ounce glass at night. I constantly have my water bottle with me...at work, in the car, at home...everywhere. As soon as I wake up, I open a 24 ounce bottle of water. Before I leave for work, I have almost the whole thing drank between taking my supplements and my Metamucil. I take another bottle to work with me and sip on it all day. When I get home from work (around 3:00), I open my third and last bottle. By around 7:00, it is gone. Then before bed, I drink an eight ounce glass of water with fresh lemon. I know it sounds like a lot, but because I just sip throughout the day, it doesn't seem like it. The only time I feel like I couldn't drink any more is in the morning, and that is because I drink so much with my Metamucil. I just started drinking this much, before a few days ago, I was only getting about 40-50 ounces a day. I think the key reason I have seen improvement is because I started the Metamucil, extra fiber, and water. I will keep you guys posted...

Old 02-10-2004, 01:35 PM   #10
    SampieGirl2003
    (female)

SampieGirl2003 HB User
    Post Re: Contradicting Information....Harry can you help?

I'm not trying to "push" a particular brand or product, but have you heard of Acacia fiber? Heather Van Vourous, who has written "Eating for IBS". Regardless of whether or not you have IBS, Acacia is MUCH better for you -the Metamucil is full of psyllium, which can cause horrid gas and bloating - the acacia is much gentler and is actually a probiotic as well, in the sense that regular use helps balance your intestinal "flora"...I've tried it, and it doesn't cause any gas, no side effects, and is effective. Citrucel is not as good, and if you're using the sugar-free brand, STOP - the artificial sweetners can wreak havoc on your stomach.

Good luck!

Posting commercial website addresses is not allowed on healthboards.
    Please read the posting and board guidelines in FAQ at the top of the page.
    moderator4

Last edited by moderator4; 02-10-2004 at 03:38 PM.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:03 PM   #11
    mary b.

mary b. HB User

Andrea,
    Has your doctor ruled out IBS? One of the 25 y.o. I worked with is very tall and slender and her stomach pooches out like she is about 5 months pregnant. Her doctor at first didn't believe her because she is so thin and doesn't have any fat on her. But finally she found a doctor to really look at her. Her early symptoms were just GI upset and some constipation. Now she is constipated all the time and does try to eat good for the most part or else she skips meals because they upset her stomach. She finally got scheduled for a colonoscopy and was given some IBS meds until then. Just a thought for you. Take care. Mary (:

Closed Thread