It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Help! Need answers about diarrhea

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
    BigMomma24
    (female)

BigMomma24 HB User
    Exclamation Help! Need answers about diarrhea

I know this sounds gross, but I'm in desperate need of help and/or advice. My fiance has been battling what we think may be a stomach virus or possibly food poisoning. Anyway, he's going on 4 days of having diarrhea, and I don't know what to do. ( He goes about every 30-45 mins between bowel movements.) Anti-diarrhea meds aren't working, and everything he tries to eat or drink comes right out. I am very worried that something is wrong, because it's been 4 days! Shouldn't it have cleared up by now? Also, he has no medical insurance and cannot afford to see a doctor. What can I do to help him? What can he do to help clear it up?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2004, 09:43 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Help! Need answers about diarrhea

Hi, try acidophillus with bifidus and use metamucil SMOOTH orange (not the one sugar free with aspartame).

The acidophillus will balance the flora in his gut. The metamucil will help bulk up the watery stool.

Use a tablespoon of the SMOOTH in a half-glass of water. Don't use the water chaser afterward.
    Use it up to 3 times a day.

I would suggest his food intake be one of low fibre. Scrambled eggs with toast. Ensure or other type drinks may also help with nutrients, but not be hard going through the digestive system.

Try not to drink any milk or milk products for the next few days. It seems that when the gut is disrupted, lactose intolerance seems to be obvious.

There's a drink called Rice Dream (made from rice). It's great on cereal (vanilla) and is easy to digest.

If it persists for a long period of time, he should have stool samples done.

I had diarrhea for almost 3 years, and then the bloody diarrhea showed up. I have ulcerative colitis and I guess the first episode was whatever triggered it. I thought it was food poisoning. The doctor only gave me lomotil. I was really relaxed!! but it did nothing for the diarrhea. I wish I would have known about the metamucil. It really helps during my flares of diarrhea.

Tea also has a constipating effect... Coffee, has more of a laxative effect.
    Sometimes, food choices (and you have to eat) can help with the symptoms while the body heals.

Let us know how he does, and I hope it's short-lived.

quincy

Old 02-13-2004, 11:13 PM   #3
    ali888
    (female)

ali888 HB User
    Re: Help! Need answers about diarrhea

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMomma24
    I know this sounds gross, but I'm in desperate need of help and/or advice. My fiance has been battling what we think may be a stomach virus or possibly food poisoning. Anyway, he's going on 4 days of having diarrhea, and I don't know what to do. ( He goes about every 30-45 mins between bowel movements.) Anti-diarrhea meds aren't working, and everything he tries to eat or drink comes right out. I am very worried that something is wrong, because it's been 4 days! Shouldn't it have cleared up by now? Also, he has no medical insurance and cannot afford to see a doctor. What can I do to help him? What can he do to help clear it up?
    He definitely needs to be seen by a gastroenterologist to rule out anything else if this continues. Don't wait! It may be the sign of something really serious.

See if you can get some Lomotil for him. Maybe a physician can get you some samples.

I had chronic diarhea for 35 years having to wear diapers because every thing went through me. Tried Metamucil, Loperamide,and about everything you can think of. Two tabs of Lomotil at bedtime and I'm free of this problem.

Ali

Closed Thread