It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

New here, anyone have a list of no-no foods if bad stomach/bowels?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2004, 06:20 PM   #1
MollieR

MollieR HB User
New here, anyone have a list of no-no foods if bad stomach/bowels?

I just got back from GI doc this afternoon. Had spinal fusion (see my post under backs) 5 weeks ago and now my stomach/bowels are giving me fits. I'm sure the painkillers didn't help but off them for a week. He took lots of blood tests, ultrasound, and examed me. I was worried I had an obstruction up high. My worst pain is in the center under the breastbone, pushing in there is sooo painful. I am bloated, gas, and whole tummy/bowels are sore. Last nite doc told me to do MOM, glycerin supp., and one of those awful green bottles of mag. citrate. I laid on the bathroom floor in agony. Just brown water came out but I hardly have eaten in a couple of days because of the pain. He sent me home with Flagyl and Quarzan (Clidinium) and take Nexium and pepto bismol tablets. Now the big question: What to eat??? He said stay away from milk and sodas, what would you suggest to eat, I want to take it really easy??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2004, 01:42 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: New here, anyone have a list of no-no foods if bad stomach/bowels?

Hi, i would suggest foods that are fairly easy to digest, and eat small amounts but more than just 3 times a day. Keep in mind that you should try to get most of the food groups into your system. I have ulcerative colitis, and am able to eat what I want, but do tend to stay away from highly gas-producing foods anyway.

If you can't do milk, and love cereal...use Rice Dream. It's yummy in vanilla flavour. I was addicted to that on Cheerios for about a month as my midnight snack. Some cereals that are high in fibre or gas producing foods you might want to avoid for a while. Oats tend to do that to me, like cooked oatmeal. Try cream of wheat instead. My brother used to eat it with margarine and brown sugar, never milk.

I have a boiled egg in the morning with light rye toast and margarine. It's not too much and lasts a long while.

If you can't do salads, just have a few easier to digest mixed spring greens. You can also try baby food vegies for a while till things have levelled out.

The point of not having milk and sodas is that they tend to produce a lot of gas.

You would probably know what foods tend to bother you...just stay away from very high fibre foods like broccoli, beans, peas, cabbage (although raw cabbage doesn't give me gas, cooked cabbage does). Applesauce instead of apples, or the small packaged fruit cups would be easier to digest than raw fruit.

I hope you are feeling better soon. You might also want to add acidophillus with bifidus into your daily regimen. I use Webber brand from Wal-Mart. It's affordable and not offensive to me. It keeps the flora in the bowel balanced and helps with gas.

Let us know how you're doing.
quincy

Old 02-25-2004, 02:10 PM   #3
fishpond

fishpond HB User

Quincy--I was very interested in your reply to this problem as I also have been in a quandry as to what to eat. Although I don't have the same bowel problem (I have just had my first diverticulitis attack and I want it to be my last!!), I'm finding out that what I eat makes a difference. I have always eaten lots of fiber, but now my doc says to avoid broccoli, beans, asperagus, nuts, seeds, the skin on apples, and corn. I do understand about the nuts and seeds, but all the web information says that a high fiber diet keeps things moving along through the colon faster and that's what one wants with diverticulosis. I've been taking Metamucil and eating soft fruit and oatmeal for soluable fiber. But looks like I'm gonna need some insoluable too. Am I relegated only to lettuce--lettuce--lettuce and more lettuce for the rest of my life? Any suggestions?

Old 02-26-2004, 01:33 AM   #4
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

I would suggest that the nuts and seeds be avoided, but I'm sure you can eat them in peanut or nut butter on whole grain toast. Apples without skins, oranges, bananas, potatoes without skins, whole grain cereals with rice dream instead of milk if you can't drink it, wheat bran, oat bran, beets cooked are yummy!!

Lettuce can be boring, and iceberg doesn't even offer anything but water to the system. Daily I eat shredded cabbage coleslaw (from a bag) with creamy cucumber dressing. I also add spring mixed greens (also from a bag) or baby romaine lettuce leaves. Romaine lettuce is also great.

Do a search for foods for diverticulosis ... or... foods for diverticulitis.

Don't forget to drink enough water and a balanced diet including meat, fish or chicken.

do the specific search as I suggested above, I got lots of hits. (I can't post links, sorry).

The cabbage like I suggested is really tasty with the creamy cucumber or ranch would be good too. I don't buy the diet stuff, tastes off somehow. I don't use very much anyway.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Best to you,
quincy

Old 02-26-2004, 01:10 PM   #5
fishpond

fishpond HB User

Thanks, Quincy. That information was MOST helpful and I did find many links on the topic you suggested. I had looked earlier, but just for diverticulosis, not with foods.

Closed Thread