It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

HELP I just had a bowel resection and need advice.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2004, 07:42 PM   #1
rfriend

rfriend HB User
Unhappy HELP I just had a bowel resection and need advice.

I have finally ended my 7 month battle with diverticulitis, including abcesses, drians, and multiple hopsital stays. The end of this battle came with only haveing 16 inches of my bowel removed on Monday. When I went into surgery the doc told me that he was going to have to make a large incesion because of the abcess, turns out that the incesion is larger than he had inticipated because the abcess, along with my left ovary and filopian (SP?) tube, were inbeded on my abdominal wall. The abcess had ruptured but was contained in my ab wall. The doctor said that he had never seen anything like it. So I just got home today and I still have two drains in and a huge incesion. He siad that I can eat whatever I want now...Is this true? Also I just started to eat yesterday, but I have not had a bm yet. I am passing gas and my stomach is bloated. I keep getting the urge to go but I am afraid. Does the first one hurt? Should I take a laxative? How bad is the recovery? Please give all the advice you can.

Thanks,
RFriend

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2004, 10:35 AM   #2
twisten
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User
Re: HELP I just had a bowel resection and need advice.

I had to have a temporary colostomy a few years ago from a fistula. After about six months I was "hooked" back up again. My doctor told me to stay away from all raw fruits and vegetables for about a month. I had a lot of difficulty eating after the colostomy but after my reversal it was a piece of cake. It did not hurt me at all when my bowels started functioning on there own again. The only thing I did was to take stool softeners. I did end up with an infection at one of the drainage tube sights so be careful there. Good luck and I'm sure everything will go well for you.

Old 03-04-2004, 01:43 PM   #3
unclem

unclem HB User
Cool Re: HELP I just had a bowel resection and need advice.

Sounds like everything went pretty well regarding your surgery.
My doc told me to do the low rez diet for 4 weeks.
I also thought the first BM would be painfull but it wasn't.
Best of luck with the recovery. You'll be feeling better and better with each passing day.
PS
Just so you know, I had my resection done on 12/8/03 and I still have some gas pains in the mornings. It has gotten less and less painfull everyday.

Closed Thread