It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Should I go to the Doc?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2004, 11:19 PM   #1
jenkyaus

jenkyaus HB User
Question Should I go to the Doc?

I really don't know if I should go to the doc. or not? I try my best to avoid going to the doctor but I think I may have a problem. I'm a 24 yrs. old female with no previous health problems. After I had my baby 10 months ago, I went on a diet using prescription pills (ADIPEX). Well I lost all of my pregrancy weight along with an extra 20lbs. Anyways, every since then I have been experiencing some rather unusal bowel movements along with other symptons. Before I list my symptons, I must add that I was never a person to have a bm everyday, but I now have them 2x a day and very hard ones. Well this is what going on, for 2 wks I had a nagging and discomfortable aching pain that starts in the upper right center and travels right under my rib cage. But, now i have notice that in the same spot its starting to feel like its burning,stinging and sometimes it itches inside that area. I have added fiber to my diet and been drinking lots of water my stool are softer but every time I have a bm its light yellow and i have mucus, sometimes thats all i have is mucus that comes out. Should I go to the doctor or wait it out and see if it goes away. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2004, 08:20 AM   #2
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Should I go to the Doc?

The color of your stool is largely determined by what you eat. Your problem sorta sounds like a gallbladder problem.
WE all produce mucus to some degree but usually not a complete BM of it. Dairy products can make your stool light colored and produce mucus in addition to what you normally produce.

I would suggest start taking a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil. It's safe to take daily and it will bulk up your stool and produce formed BMs. It will also clean you and will regulate your BMs.

Every person needs 20 to 30 grams of fiber daily. I use Metamucil to get about 5 to 7 grams daily and the rest from food. As you know all fiber is not the same. I have found it almost impossible to get all the fiber I need from food alone!!! Just Too much fruits and veggies.

Make sure you start off slow because a natural fiber like psyllium will produce gas when you first start using it but will go away with continued use. Also, drink enough water like the container says.

Of course if you still have pain--- you should see a doctor and get it checked.

You Know alot of diets don't contain enough fats to make the gallbladder function properly during dieting. Some people take a teaspoon of olive oil to make their gallbladder contract and produce bile. I have never done that but I do take oils in some form daily Vitamin E & Aboth in an oil form, Omega 3 fish oil and flax seed oil.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-09-2004 at 08:26 AM.

Old 03-18-2004, 09:49 AM   #3
lory36
(female)

lory36 HB User

i have the same problem as you although my bm are narrow shaped now and i have a pain that runs from my right hand rib cage ( back ) and runs right to my hips does anyone know if this is something to do with gallstones as the doc suspects that i have them what are the symptoms of bowel cancer i am so paranoid
thanks loraine xx

Old 03-25-2004, 05:37 AM   #4
maak823
Inactive

maak823 HB User

This sounds to me like a gall bladder problem. Gall Stones are very common after pregnancy and large amount of weight loss in a quick timeframe. I would see your doctor and have them check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkyaus
I really don't know if I should go to the doc. or not? I try my best to avoid going to the doctor but I think I may have a problem. I'm a 24 yrs. old female with no previous health problems. After I had my baby 10 months ago, I went on a diet using prescription pills (ADIPEX). Well I lost all of my pregrancy weight along with an extra 20lbs. Anyways, every since then I have been experiencing some rather unusal bowel movements along with other symptons. Before I list my symptons, I must add that I was never a person to have a bm everyday, but I now have them 2x a day and very hard ones. Well this is what going on, for 2 wks I had a nagging and discomfortable aching pain that starts in the upper right center and travels right under my rib cage. But, now i have notice that in the same spot its starting to feel like its burning,stinging and sometimes it itches inside that area. I have added fiber to my diet and been drinking lots of water my stool are softer but every time I have a bm its light yellow and i have mucus, sometimes thats all i have is mucus that comes out. Should I go to the doctor or wait it out and see if it goes away. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Closed Thread