It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

what is this bump?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2004, 11:32 AM   #1
piggy1962

piggy1962 HB User
Unhappy what is this bump?

I have had, for the last app. 10 years, a small bump located beside my rectum (not coming out of it, but beside it). It is smooth, whitish colored, painless, no raised border. I usually just ignore it because it has not caused me any problems. The other day for some reason my husband asked me what it was, and I told him I didn't know....so...i got inquisitive and thought I would check it out a little more thoroughly....so I actually grabbed the little sucker between my fingers and it felt like a smooth very firm grape....the problem is now is that I have irratated it!!!!!!! It has become slightly larger and hurts! I wish i would have left well enough alone!!!!!!!!! I have a doctor's appointment later on in the week, but was curious if anyone knew what it was. I thought maybe it was an external hemorroid, but wasn't sure since it was painless for so many years.
Thanx in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2004, 08:16 PM   #2
michaelfloyd
(male)

michaelfloyd HB User
Re: what is this bump?

i don't have any theories as to what it might be... however, i'd think that if you 've had it for 10 years and haven't had any problems then it's probably not much to worry about. i'm interested to find out what it is though, so be sure to post a follow up.

Old 03-09-2004, 01:46 AM   #3
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi, it might also be a perianal cyst. Makes sense that it hurts after manipulating it. We can never leave well enough alone, I can ertainly relate.

It's good you have a doctor's appointment, best to get it thoroughly checked out to make sure it's nothing more than benign.

Yes, I too am interested in your diagnosis.

Best to you,
quincy

Old 03-09-2004, 04:45 AM   #4
piggy1962

piggy1962 HB User

Well here's a bit of a followup...i have a doctor appointment this morning. Anyhow, last night the thing was getting really irritated and BIG. I tried a hot bath, and I tried putting a cold compress on it, and I even tried preperation H. It was starting to get about half the size of a golf ball. Well, last night it popped! it actually woke me up! Now I have this bloody little abscess right next to my rectum. I'll let you know what the dr. says when I get back.
Thanx for the input!

Old 03-09-2004, 10:35 AM   #5
piggy1962

piggy1962 HB User

well it was a boil....and according to my doctor a pretty deep one! he gave a perscription for an antibiotic and I have to clean out the wound w/hydorgen poroxide. He's not sure what it was before...(as I said it was a small painless bump and then I started fiddling with it). He said after it heals might be able to figure out what it was.
I'm just so happy the darn thing popped!! I can sit down now!!!

Old 03-09-2004, 09:22 PM   #6
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Wow, a boil especially deep can be serious....I'm hoping since you've had it for so long that it hasn't turned into a fistula. I hope you heal well with no other complications.

quincy

Old 03-10-2004, 06:29 AM   #7
piggy1962

piggy1962 HB User

wow! a fistula? I've read a bit about those. Wouldn't I have some other symptoms over the years like draining of some sort or some pain? I am trying so hard to make sure I get the area cleaned out really well 2-3 times a day. Besides using the hydrogen peroxide, can you suggest anything else that will help it heal correctly...(you have me worried now!)
And another question....I read that boils are contagious....is this true? How are they spread? Since reading that, I have been really careful about how I dispose of my q-tips and other items i use for cleaning out that area. I have also made sure that no one else uses my wash cloths or towels. I think my husband is a bit paranoid now!!! He's afraid he's gonna wake up one morning with boils all over him!

Old 03-10-2004, 09:47 AM   #8
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

Boils are the result of staphylococci bacteria. It could have been caused by whatever, ingrown hair, plugged pore or sweat gland...
Yes, they are highly contagious (if boil is what the doctor said, wondering why not the warning).

Sometimes abcess or boil may be used interchangably, but either way, they are infection and infection of any kind is contagious.

It won't hurt to be paranoid. MAke sure your towels and washcloth are washed in hot water. Vinegar is also a disinfectant, if you don't use bleach (I never do).

Since you're on antibiotics, that will help a great deal....I'm wondering why he didn't suggest something like polysporin cream to help the healing or sitz baths.

Do you have it covered daily? If not, make sure you wear a panty liner to keep your underwear from getting spotted.

Yep, fistulas should be draining, sometimes they don't and that's what causes the problems with them. But, I was just thinking since he said that it was a really deep one.

It's probably not, and I hope you are healing well. He is still going to look into the problem after you heal, so it's not as though it's "OK, there you go and don't come back".

Keep us posted as to how you're feeling and the ultimate diagnosis.

Ain't the Internet a great tool? Good for info but too much can drive us crazy. Just put it into perspective and it's good your situation has "come to a head"....at least it's being dealt with.

Best to you,
quincy

Old 03-10-2004, 11:03 AM   #9
piggy1962

piggy1962 HB User

what is polysporin cream? is it an antibiotic cream? As for the boil being contagious...how is it spread? If my husband washed with the wash cloth that I used, he could get a boil?...does it have to enter the body through a cut?
Yes i agree, the internet is wonderful!!!
And thank you so much for all the information!

Closed Thread