It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

CHRONIC diarrhea

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2004, 04:49 PM   #1
ppeach

ppeach HB User
Unhappy CHRONIC diarrhea

Hello all....

I am 28 years old, have a history of Hodgkins disease in remission for 14 yrs and was recently diagnosed with collagenous colitis about a year ago. My problem is chronic diarrhea. It does not seem the same as symptoms I had with my colitis. I get terrible gas, get sulfur-smelling burps, and then develop diarrhea and eventually turns into very watery diarrhea. It happens at least twice a week, and my insides (stomach, bowels, etc.) are painful...what I think is caused by gas. My doctor has me on Asacol and FiberCon, which was originally prescribed for my collagenous colitis and does not seem to help, and she is now doing stool cultures and studies to see if it is infectious. It's been a terrible problem and pretty limiting of my daily life. Has anybody had the same problem?? Does anybody have any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
twisten
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User
Re: CHRONIC diarrhea

Has your doctor given you anything for the diarrhea such as imodium? I don't know if it would help anyway, it doesn't me when I have diarrhea from crohns disease. I'm not familiar with collagenous colitis, how does it differ from crohns or ulcerative colitis? Is it a life long disease also? Wish I could have been more help to you but all I can suggest is make sure your drinking plenty of fluids while the diarrhea is present.

Old 03-21-2004, 07:02 PM   #3
ppeach

ppeach HB User
Re: CHRONIC diarrhea

Thank you all very much for your input. I appreciate it. My doctor has me on Asacol right now, and I've been through Pepto treatment too. I do take Imodium, which does not cure the diarrhea, but holds it back for a few hours....only with it to return. Harry, I will try taking those supplements as well as try to find that yogurt that you recommended. I just am at wits end with this and don't really know what else to do. It limits me very much in my daily life and with work....which is becoming a major problem. I appreciate your feedback and hope to find an end to this problem soon.

Thanks again!

Closed Thread