It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Juicing- Good or not worth the time???

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2004, 03:54 PM   #1
Jenetti
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
Juicing- Good or not worth the time???

Been juicing for a while now. Well about 2 weeks so far. Just wondering has it helped anyone or is it just another time consuming remedy to try?
Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 10:44 PM   #2
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Juicing- Good or not worth the time???

Jen-- It is a very good way to get the proper nutrients with all the enzymes if you have the time --- as you know if you have been doing it awhile -- it does take time.
Never the less --I highly recommend it----Harry

Old 03-23-2004, 07:00 PM   #3
Jenetti
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
Jen-- It is a very good way to get the proper nutrients with all the enzymes if you have the time --- as you know if you have been doing it awhile -- it does take time.
Never the less --I highly recommend it----Harry

Thanks Harry,

Yes it definetaly does take TIME and committment lol to do it. Ive been doing it for two weeks. At first i really couldnt stand the taste of it, but ive come to rather enjoy it. I ordered a book , the joy of juicing , should get it soon. Ive also heard its good for your digesitive system plus is good for clearing your skin and putting a glow on your face and a shine in your hair. Sometimes these ads just sound TOO GOOD and for those of us who are so sick and tired of being ill, we want to try everything and anything to feel better.

Im sticking to it for a while longer, and see if i get good results and will be sure to post my progress.
Thanks Harry and hope youre having a great day hon,
Jen

Old 03-23-2004, 10:10 PM   #4
chimpy

chimpy HB User

I have recently come to enjoy juicing; however, I feel from my experience that fasting is much more effective in the short term for giving the bowels any real chance to rest and heal. I also enjoy the peace of it. I am going to juice for a day and then fast for 72 hours. Maybe over the weekend in a couple weeks.

If anybody wants to join me, we could provide support.

I'll let you know how it's going regardless.

Fasting helps your entire body. Inside and out. FAST!

Old 03-24-2004, 07:53 AM   #5
Jenetti
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpy
I have recently come to enjoy juicing; however, I feel from my experience that fasting is much more effective in the short term for giving the bowels any real chance to rest and heal. I also enjoy the peace of it. I am going to juice for a day and then fast for 72 hours. Maybe over the weekend in a couple weeks.

If anybody wants to join me, we could provide support.

I'll let you know how it's going regardless.

Fasting helps your entire body. Inside and out. FAST!
Hey chimpy,
That sounds pretty good, I think i need to let my bowels rest for a bit too. Juicing makes it a bit easier, cause i guess they dont have to work as hard plus like Harry says i get the vitamins and stuff i need. Saw doc yesterday and theyre setting me up an appt to see a surgeon. Have adhesions and ive had them before several times, but this time the pain is simply unbearable to where its landed me in the hospital.
Only thing is, they can clear the adhesions, but, any surgery will just create more, so i guess im just buying time and maybe some time with less pain for a while.
Jen

Old 03-24-2004, 09:07 PM   #6
chimpy

chimpy HB User

Before fasting I was in a LOT of pain.

None since.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:29 PM   #7
Katyana
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User

There are alot of draw backs to juicing.

1. Expense: It's really expensive to do your own juicing. It takes alot of fruits and vegetables per glass of juice;

2. High Calorie: A glass of juice consists of many fruit and veggie items, and added together means alot of calories in that one glass of juice. Think about it. Could you sit there and eat and entire platter of fruit and veggies by yourself? You more than likely can't. But you could drink a glass or 2 of juice, and all those calories in that platter of fruit have been condensed into a glass or 2 of juice, and in the end you aren't even full!!

3. Decreased Fibre: Juicing removes the fibre from the fruit/vegetables. Fibre is an important part of the diet and is important to good colon health. As I mentioned above you can drink a glass or 2 of juice and not feel full and get zero fibre. However, you can eat a few pieces of fruit, feel full and get the benefit of the undigestable plant fibre too.

Juicing is a waste of time, energy and money. Eat a balanced diet of whole grains, fruit, vegetables, dairy, protein and fat, and you will feel full, get adequate fibre, and enough daily vitamins and minerals.

Alot of people make the mistake of thinking that juicing will help them lose weight. It doesn't. It actually contributes to weight gain. High calorie, low fibre, high carbohydrates and lack of feeling full just adds up to more calories for you in the day. Grab a glass of water in replacement of that glass of juice. It's low calorie and will keep you hydrated and also help you feel full without adding that extra calorie/carbohydrate intake to your diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenetti
Been juicing for a while now. Well about 2 weeks so far. Just wondering has it helped anyone or is it just another time consuming remedy to try?
Jen

Old 03-25-2004, 08:58 AM   #8
Jenetti
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Hey Katy,
I totally agree with ya there, It is expensive and i wondered about all those calories in one glass. Tho im not doing it to lose weight , i think i can stand to gain a few actually. Have always been on the thin side. Tho i am trying it to see if it helps with pains in my tummy that ive had since Thanksgiving. Have been hospitalized, had colonoscopy, numerous mris, scans, and although it shows ive got a longer colon than what the doc felt was "normal", i hear its not that uncommon. Ive had a few surgeries and the result from those surgeries have been adhesions. I think thats what the problem is, and i saw my doc tues and shes setting up an appt with a surgeon to see if they can do a lapo on me and remove the adhesions. I think theyre twisting my bowels and causing some obstructions. THe juicing is actually to let them rest a bit since eating Makes them hurt like HELL!!
THanks for another view of juicing, there really is two sides to it. Another thing, it doesnt fill ya up lol as i find myself hungry most of the time but not able to eat much so like Harry said getting nutrients is important at this time for me.
Talk to ya'll later and thanks for the replies.
Jen

Closed Thread