It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Shape question and lactose intolerant question

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2004, 12:58 PM   #1
soxfan66

soxfan66 HB User
Question Shape question and lactose intolerant question

OK, lets try this again. Would not post first time. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced bowel movements that are not completely tubular? From what I have seen on this and other information it seems to be the description of normal shaped stools. I guess I am being a little more (or maybe too) observant. Had a friend recently diagnosed with colon cancer. I could not really say what my "normal" shape would be, but it does not strike me a tubular or round. It strikes me as more rounded at the bottom and gets thinner as it moves higher. Not exactly like this, but for illustrative purpose, maybe like a teardrop or triangular but with a rounded bottom.

I guess I never paid much attention to that since my main concern in this area has been more my reaction to dairy products and being lactose intolerant. Taking lactaid or dairy ease usually helps in those cases. Pizza can be a real danger. Sometimes I feel the urge of that eating and almost instant diarrhea from non-dairy stuff, but not often.

Anyway, I can't ever remember experiencing any other symptoms that would be listed as colon cancer symptoms, but I guess the thinning stool issue just made me wonder since it appears that what I have does not get described as normal in most cases I have read. The shape seems consistent regardless of whether the stool is larger and longer or very small and short.

Any thoughts wold be appreciated. I have also read in some posts about that issue of various inconsistant sizes of stool within one days bowel movements. Is that normal also?

Any thoughts/methods of dealing with the lactose intolerant symptoms others have discovered or used would also be appreciated. Can other things cause similar symptoms that might just be brought on by dairy? Always wondered about that irritable bowel syndrome.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2004, 10:32 PM   #2
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Shape question and lactose intolerant question

The shape of your stool is determined by several things-- the shape of your anus may not be round but if you take a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil --it will bulk up your stool more so that it is more tubular. I get about a third of my fiber using psyllium. A person need to in take 20 to 30 grams of fiber daily both soluble and insoluble for their intestines to function properly.
I think the best way to avoid colon cancer is to make sure your BMs are regular-- taking a water soluble fiber supplement will help--- ALOT.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 04-09-2004 at 10:34 PM.

Closed Thread