It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

What is up with my digestive system and bowels?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
Gene123
(male)

Gene123 HB User
What is up with my digestive system and bowels?

Hi,

First i wanna say this is my first post here.

My problem

About an hour after I eat breakfast I start Passing gas silently like crazy much more than an average person. My stomach feels a little wierd. I wanna say bloated but i dont quite think it is. Anyway I feel like this all the way until about 3 or 4 pm when i usually workout on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. The other days i feel like this until 5 or 6. I usually go Bowel movements between afternoon and 5, and i usually have to go more than once. When i do go for a bowel movements, some poop comes out but i still feel like all of it isnt coming out, and after about 30 min I give up, and then i go once or twice more and the same things happen. Im not sure whether im constipated or have IBS. I started drink about 80 ounces of water a day for the past week and a half but i dont think its helping. I eat about 23 to 25 grams of fiber from fruits wheat bread and bran cereal. I started eating that much fiber for th epast two and a half weeks. I usually ate less than 10 grams of fiber a day before that and had less bowel problems but still had bowel problems, but now after increasing my fiber and water intake i feel my stomach churning from when i eat breakfast till evening or when i start my workouts. And I feel like i have incomplete bowel movements even though i go 1 to 3 times a day.

Someone please help me
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
tootainted

tootainted HB User
Re: What is up with my digestive system and bowels?

i am no expert, but i do think something is missing in your explination that could make a difference. That is, what are you eating for breakfist? Another being do you feel like you are under a lot of pressure or stressed out?

If you have a food alergy and dont know it this could be the cause. OR if the stress of the work day starting from after you finish breakfist to when you get off (ie when you exercize) could be an indication of stress. As exercize as you know it releaves stress. If you find out you do not have a non-stress caused IBS try exercizing in the morning before you eat and see if that helps.

I am vegan (ie. no animal products or biproducts) and a athlete and consume tons of fiber and water. I have about 10 BM's a day all very normal (untill recently with my stomach problems). I do hypergravity training 2 times a week and work out for about 8 to 10 hours a week with active recovery for 2 days after climbing (i am a rock climber). I remember when i started to eat more fiber and it didnt make me have more frequent BM's till about a month into it.

I hope this helps some, i know i can't answer the question as to if you have IBS, but i do know stress can cause what you have, as can food alergies.

Old 04-08-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

You may be eating enough fiber but all fiber is not the same. I think you need to take more fiber that absorbs fluid. It bulks up your stool and has a cleaning effect. You need both soluble and insoluble fiber to have a complete BM. I take about 7 grams of psyllium in Metamucil to make sure I get enough.

Old 04-09-2004, 01:03 PM   #4
Gene123
(male)

Gene123 HB User

Thanks for the reply

I started doing some jogging for a half hour in the morning before i eat 4 days ago. I dont know if its suppose to help right away.

What kind of foods contain soluble and insoluble fiber?

Old 04-09-2004, 09:02 PM   #5
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Insoluble fiber is any food that does not absorb fluid or very little-- like wheat bran, bananas, fruit peelings as well as some fruits, cauliflower, green beans, nuts, greens of all types-- not a complete list. They pass through almost unchanged from when you stop chewing.

Soluble fiber food are grains like rice, oats, corn like grits, beans, legumes, almost all root veggies like potatoes, carrots and psyllium seed husk in Metamucil as well as other brands. Basically foods that absorb water when cooking or soaking.

Closed Thread