It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Can a doctor really help this?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
RBagster

RBagster HB User
Question Can a doctor really help this?

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on this...... Back in november I had a very painful BM which caused a good sized fissure I increased my water intake and my fiber intake significantly. I figured the rawness would go away in time. Well the big fissure did after about 3 months but I still had trouble with rawness, excrutiating pain during the BM, and bleeding since I have external hemmroids which means I probably have internal ones as well. I've used creams and vaseline and it gets better then worse then better....currently it seems better but even with all the fiber I'm taking what's killing me is the initial start to the BM. The first inch or so is murder, it's much harder and seem larger then the rest. Once it's out the rest is smooth sailing. I think I have a bunch of small fissures which is why the BM still hurts and bleeds so I was wondering can a doctor really help me? Or will he pretty much just tell me that it takes time to heal... I eat a handful of prunes in the morning and at night and take a couple of fiber tablet with my meals during the day, is there anyway without getting diarrhea (which burns soooo bad when I take too much fiber) to make the whole stool soft? Thanks for any advice. Usually I wait to see if this kind of stuff fixes itself but it's been 6 months and it's starting to get depressing.

RBagster

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 08:00 PM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Can a doctor really help this?

Hi,

I can relate to your discomfort. What creams have you used on the fissure? Did you go to the doctor and he/she prescribe anything?

quincy

Old 04-21-2004, 11:45 AM   #3
RBagster

RBagster HB User
Re: Can a doctor really help this?

I've used Proctosol HC 2.5% (my husband got it from his doc a few years ago when he got 1 hemmoroid compared to my ring around the rosey.....), neosporin, and vaseoline. I'm trying to avoid going to the doctors because I'm fairly certain I would die of embarrassment even though I know he's seen millions of 'em.
And if he said I had to wait it out after I did get up the nerve to see him then I would be very unhappy and possibly unruly

RBagster

Old 04-21-2004, 08:48 PM   #4
BrianKosh
(male)

BrianKosh HB User
Thumbs up Re: Can a doctor really help this?

Yes.... But he/she might end up saying for you to.... ummm, give your digestive system a rest.. (the rest u give it, also means the pain below would get some vacation time.. ) meaning, a boring bland diet.. such as rice, jello, fluids.. BUT nothing with Acid in it... otherwise, u will keep having bowel movements that do what they have done.. OK, I didn't want to have to put it this way, the imagery is worse than actually doing it... u basically want the stoles to come out soft and uhhhh, ummmm... creamy.. You r really suppose to eat enough stuff to keep the stool smaller and softer.

The tear also needs to be covered up... I would have thought the doctor might give u something to coat it, and some (topical??) antibiotics.. Incase of any sort of infection that might arise.... AND drink lots and lots of fluids.. mainly because of the diet is not going to let u eat something that has too much fiber, and u still need to go...
But After about 3-4 days of boring foods, u get to go the opposite direction..

a diet that is rich in fibre, including fruits, vegetables and wholegrain cereals such as brown rice, bread and pasta. You should also aim to drink enough water-based drinks so that your urine is no darker than pale yellow.

Sitting in a warm bath after using the toilet may also relieve the spasm and bring some relief from the discomfort.

If your fissure has not healed despite these lifestyle changes, or if you are worried about it, you should see your doctor. If you notice any other unusual stuff going on down stairs (such as blood), definately see a doctor.

As always, I am not responsible for any of this info, especially when I am wrong... what is written is my two cents worth....

hang in there, good luck...

Closed Thread