It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

chronic diarrhea

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2004, 09:19 PM   #1
avis

avis HB User
Question chronic diarrhea

I have had diarrhea for the past 7 weeks. It started after a trip to France. Terrible gas and bloating with foul colored diaherra. Ten days worth of flagyl helped somewhat but a week later everything started back up again. My doctor then put me on a 21 day supply of flagyl. The gas is gone the stools have returned to a normal color and form but I now have large and urgent bowel movements 5-7 times a day. This can't be normal . I,m afraid to leave the house for fear that I won't find a restroom in time. My doctor is perplexed and I'm feeling very sad and depressed. Two tests for parasites and celiac were both negative. My doctor wants me to have a colonoscopy even though I had a scope less then 2 years ago. Immodium does work for me but I afraid to use it very often because I feel that I'm just masking the symptoms. Any advise would be most appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: chronic diarrhea

Avis,
With the possible intestinal problem obtained in France and all the antibiotics you have probably done in all the friendly bacteria in your intestines. You will need to re-colonize your intestinal tract with the friendly bacteria.
Eat a godd brand of yogurt 3 or 4 times daily and take a probiotic supplement may help. I like Stonyfield Farm yogurt because it contains L.reuteri and additional live clutures. I also use PB-8, Primal Defense and L.Reuteri when needed. There are of course others on the market that you can buy at a health food store. Most need to be kept in the fridge!!

You may want to take a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil to help bulk up your stools and make them more normal-- just follow the directions in regards to mixing and drinking water.

God Bless---Harry

Closed Thread