It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• pain in stomach and left side abdomen

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2004, 08:21 AM   #1
    Christina5126
    Inactive

Christina5126 HB User
    pain in stomach and left side abdomen

Hi my name is Christina. I'm a 20yr old. Recently I started getting pain on my left side and in the middle of my stomach. My diet varies. sometimes i eat seafood and tuna fish and salmon, but other times i will eat sugary snacks. I realize when i eat junk food i get these pains. I dont go # 2 that often, maybe 3-4 times a week. DO I need more fiber in my diet? These pains are not consistent. They come when i eat junk food. My doctor wanted me to take a colononscopy, but im very young, and I dont know if I need that. He also wanted me to take an endoscopy, because I take Protonix for acid reflux. I dont know what I should do, I do not want to take these test, because of the side effects of them and also that you have to get knocked out. Does anyone have any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2004, 11:26 AM   #2
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User
    Re: pain in stomach and left side abdomen

Hi, I just had a colonscopy Friday. It wasn't that bad. I didn't even sleep much. I knew what was going on. Just relaxed. I am not a doctor but I Have IBS with C. My left side hurts alot. Try taking citruscil. It may help you. Hope that helps. Try to eat fiber like you said too.Like RS said .. he is right do it while you are young please. I am 45 and it is easier to fix earlier. Polly

Last edited by snodove; 05-17-2004 at 02:33 PM.

Old 05-17-2004, 12:27 PM   #3
    resection
    (male)

resection HB User

Three to four times a week? Probably you do need more fiber and water in your diet. You need both soluble and non-soluble fiber in your diet. Talk to your local pharmacist about supplements or just look on the internet. There are plenty of supplements to choose from. Of course, a “natural” diet high in good food is best.

Pain is your body’s way of telling you something needs tending to. A general rule of thumb, the greater the pain, the bigger the problem. Do let sever pain especially if in combination with fever go untreated (by a doctor).

Colonoscopy is a piece of cake. They really don’t knock you out for them. It is a twilight drug that is somewhere between. Well, ask your doctor. They can do that. I did not remember anything including pain, but I was not really knocked out.

20 years old if very young. Get in control of the situation or you will regret it when you are my age (40). Listen to Polly.

Old 05-17-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Smile Re: pain in stomach and left side abdomen

Get the tests dont take any chances you only got one life.Take care

Old 05-18-2004, 08:35 AM   #5
    tyme1962

tyme1962 HB User

Best to follow through as you doctor suggests. The two procedures you mentioned will be done hand and hand, and they do not put you asleep like they do for surgery, although they will give you some drugs to where you will be basically knocked out, and not remember much when you come to. Express to your doctor you do not want to know or feel a thing. I have had this done twice, and I don't remember a thing, and afterward, other then alittle sleepy I was great. yes there some very minimal risk with this procedure, but to be honest working in the hospital and seeing this done on a daily basis it is very few and far between, and when it is the patients are up in age. Just be sure this is a procedure he has accomplished on a regular basis, and has experience in, and I am sure everything will go just great. It is better to find out whats going on now, and get it taken care of while it is probably is minor, then to end up in alot of other test, and other procedures that may not be as pleasant

Last edited by tyme1962; 05-18-2004 at 08:37 AM.

Old 05-18-2004, 11:30 AM   #6
    Christina5126
    Inactive

Christina5126 HB User

Thank you suzzy. I forgot to mention in my post that I also have psychiatric problems too. I take seroquel and it does have a lot of side effects. Someone was just on the bipolar board and they said that this girl was taken seroquel and she gets gastroentistenal problems. So maybe this is all from seroquel. when I eat healthy i dont get these problems. strange right. Take care! what problems do u face reglarly? Are you from NY. I am its great out here.

Old 05-18-2004, 11:35 AM   #7
    Christina5126
    Inactive

Christina5126 HB User

hey tyme thank you. I just have a lot of anxiety problems. and I dont like tests that involved knocking you out. I get scared that I wont wake back up. I know these tests are some what dangerous. My grandpa got information on these tests. It states that you can die taken them. so im very afraid. But i want to know that Im okay. so maybe start out small then big get xrays and a sonogram first then work up. I will just have to pray about it.

Old 05-18-2004, 11:38 AM   #8
    Christina5126
    Inactive

Christina5126 HB User

resection, Im also on medication for psychiatric reasons. Im on seroquel and it does cause gastro. problems, I just recently started getting these pains, but there not all the time. only when i eat fattening foods.

Old 05-18-2004, 11:41 AM   #9
    Christina5126
    Inactive

Christina5126 HB User

thank you snodove, I have alot of anxiety about these tests, because i heard that there dangerous and some times fatal. I just dont want to get put out. i know being awake and taken the test would be very painful. im going to take an xray and a sonogram first. I also have psychiatric problems, Im on seroquel and that does cause gastreintestinal problems.

Old 05-18-2004, 01:45 PM   #10
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Smile Re: pain in stomach and left side abdomen

No im not from NY im from Dover Delaware.Ive had reflux going on 25 yrs now and ibs since i was a teen.Ive been on different acid supressors,and am now on prevacid.Prevacid seems to work pretty well for me now.Right now i am currently under a doctors care for yet an unknown problem.I have 24/7 a pain under my right breast on the ribcage.Been thru numerous tests with no answers.Take care

Closed Thread