It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Colonoscopy results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2004, 05:39 PM   #1
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User
    Colonoscopy results

Hi,
    I had a colonoscopy done and they found a polyp. I have since had IBS C worse this week. The first week I felt better than I had in a long time.
    So I took a lax this week. It helped. I hope my Zelnorm hasn't stopped working.
    I go back to see the GI the first week of June. Not sure what he will say.
    I need to really talk to him about all this. I haven't hurt as bad lately.
    Thanks Jen for your prayers. How are you. I hope you are doing ok.
    I am praying for you. How is your tummy incision., Polly

Last edited by snodove; 05-25-2004 at 05:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2004, 06:32 PM   #2
    Jenetti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenetti HB User
    Re: Colonoscopy results

Hey Polly,
    Sorry the IBS has been worse hon. I know , from what i hear zelnorm stops working after a while.
    Well i went to docs office today, the surgeon. The incision is healing slowly but surely. I still need to have it packed tho and a nurse will still be coming to my house for a while to do that. It still LOOKS OPEN to me but doc said its coming along fine, so guess he knows huh?
    Still tired, but getting better. BAD NEWS tho. ALthough alot of work was done in there, alot of adhesions were removed, the original pain i had gone in there for to get fixed, is back. That started slowly sunday and by yesterday mon it was full blown again. The surgeon told me not to give up since he could tell i was upset, and raised my elavil up to 25 mgs from 10 and soon will raise it up to 50.
    We discussed that about 15 yrs ago, or so, cant remember, i had the same pain and went to an internist after many tests and visits to many other doctors. She gave me elavil 50 mgs and that seemed to have worked some. It took the pain away not completely but enough to where when i had bouts or attacks i could take some spasm meds for the bowel and it would be ok.
    My primary doc tho, a year and a half ago, said it was too much mgs , although i had been on the med for over 10 yrs with no side effects. Slowly but surely and with time the pain returned until last thanksgiving when i had a bad attack and it never left. From then on it was downhill for me till the surgery. I had been hoping the removal of the adhesions would have helped and it surely seemed like it had till sunday. Now its back and im still not fully recovered from the surgery. So the next things is just to try the meds. After that polly, i really dont know what else to do or where to turn. The doctor said they wouldnt give up on me and trying to find an answer, but quite honestly i dont know what else they can do?? I mean ive had just about every test under the sun it seems. ANyway please take it easy hon and lets see what your GI doc has to say. Maybe if the med has stopped working he can try something else.
    Please take care and you are all still in my prayers.
    Love,
    Jen

Old 05-25-2004, 07:16 PM   #3
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User

Hi Jen, Thank you so much. I hate seeing you in so much pain too. I will continue to pray for you as well. I can understand your frustration in a way. I thought Zelnorm was really going to help me. I have had IBS and nothing ever worked but this. Cititrucil and some other.. no luck. I know it has to get better one of these days. I hope that they find some help for you as well. Take care and will I am glad your incision is better.
    I am sure it is concerning.Hopefully, your medicine can help too. Hugs, Polly

Last edited by snodove; 05-25-2004 at 07:18 PM.

Old 06-06-2004, 02:42 PM   #4
    hello_kitty_777

hello_kitty_777 HB User

dear jen,
    what was the original prob.? i have had endo. for 8 years now and had surgery for it 3 years ago, which left adhesions on my intestines and i had another lap a year ago for endo. but they didnt check for prev. adhesions and added a couple more. i go see a new dr. in a couple weeks. how do they fix adhesions? these things are very painful. they burn they make me vomit, diareha/constipation, i just dont wanna even eat anymore. is this how yours felt? w/b/s

angel

Old 06-06-2004, 03:30 PM   #5
    Jenetti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenetti HB User

Hi Kitty,
    Yes i do think its a combination of adhesions and IBS . I also have fibromyalgia and have had that for over 20 yrs. Ibs is also a symptom of fibro, then ive had several abdominal surgeries plus endo that contributed to the adhesions.
    Yes , they hurt like heck. They made me cringe up in bed and just cry , i hate to say this but when it hurt that bad ,hour after hour, day after day, week after week, month after month, thoughts go thru your head that SHOULDNT be going thru there if you know what i mean. ANYTHING to stop from hurting.,
    Ive been on the elavil 25 mgs now for about a week and the pain, the original one has lessened so that is giving me some hope. Im suppose to go up to 50 mgs soon and im hoping that will solve the problem. I have noticed some difference NOW in the amount of pain, it is less. BUt , adhesions COME back and im praying they wont. Im still getting the incision packed since it had become infected and the doc had to slice and dice and drain it. So now i still have that hole there and hubby is cleaning it everyday and packing it till it heals. There were TONS of adhesions in there and the surgery took two hours and they still couldnt get all of them. But oh yea kitty, they are extremely painful and do creat diareah/constipation, pain, vomiting. Please let them know that you want a lapo done so they can remove them if you do have them. Please take care.
    Love,
    Jen

Old 06-06-2004, 04:21 PM   #6
    Jenetti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenetti HB User

Hey Polly,
    You would think with so many people suffering from IBS, theyd be able to come up with a med that would work better than what they have to offer huh???
    For the fibro i am on daily lortab plus soma, so that takes the edge off the pain a bit to where its somewhat tolerable. ALthough it can get pretty rough during flareups. I dont have a day that is without pain. Then this stuff, the surgery , the infection, just added enough stress to start a flareup so am taking it as easy as possible.
    Just wondering when the heck this hole is gonna close????
    My neice saw it today while hubby was cleaning it and repacking it and she said OMG, that is so gross, i laughed and said HA, you should have seen it when it was over two inches deep. THIS is nothing compared to how it was. Its clearing up. I thought it was getting reinfected but i think it was the tape /adhesive that was irritating the skin this time cause its not hot to the touch. Still hurts like heck tho when its cleaned and packed, but ohhhh its getting better honey.
    How are you doing hon?? Are you having an IBS flareup?? Also, you might want to ask the doctor about elavil. I think that is what is really helping me right now painwise as well as the lortab and soma. Soma i need cause its a muscle relaxer and allows my muscles not to get too tight or hard.
    Hope you are having a good day sweetie,
    Love,
    Jen

Old 06-07-2004, 03:42 AM   #7
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User

Hi Jen, I will keep you in my prayers. You have been through so much. I will pray your incision will continue to heal. I guess my real shock when I went to the GI doctor last week was he wanted to do the barium enema. I guess safe than sorry huh. He said he couldn't get the colonoscopy finished. Couldn't pass the upper secetion of bowel that turns down towards the right side. I don't know why I didn't ask him why? Or the reason it could be but I didn't. Maybe I didn't want to hear the answer. Do you know since you have had so much trouble with this? I am sure it isn't anything serious. It is odd though that right side never bothers me. It is always my left but the syptoms on my left side are different. Still pain but it is higher than it used to be but ,also, the lower left side and it is worse. I am more C than ever. Used to be I could drink alot of water and take care of it and that isn't helping now. I may ask him about the antidepressant you are taking. The Benyl the put me on isn't any better than the Levsin I used to take. lol So back to square one. huh.
    I know that I this isn't anything you went thru but I dread that B.E.
    I am praying for you Jen. I know your faith has helped you and me both. I guess Friday I will have the B.E. done. I need to find a ride though. My husband can't take me. Would you please pray about that and that it will work out. I hate to get it done later. This would work out better. I sure don't want tests all summer but if I need them I will. My husband is like that when he hurts. He was told he has RA but I think it is fibro. His sister has it and we think his mom did too. He has so many syptoms. He didn't like the RA doctor and that was the only one around here so he stopped going. Oh well.
    I hope you get to feeling better. Praying for you.Thanks, Hugs, Polly

Last edited by snodove; 06-07-2004 at 04:18 AM.

Old 06-07-2004, 12:16 PM   #8
    Jenetti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenetti HB User

OH polly hon, im praying the good Lord will send you someone to give you a ride to and back from the test. SOmeone who will stay there with you praying while youre having it done. I know i will be praying sweetie.
    As to why he couldnt go all the way with the colonoscopy, it could be maybe your bowels are kinked up somewhere and he didnt want to force it in. Are you taking bentyl?? Sometimes that can cause constipation as well since its used for IBS, as well as for bowel spasms. Seems the thing you want fixed sometimes, the meds they give you to fix it causes other problems, like constipation , so its a vicious cycle.
    I have been taking herblax from shaklee's products. No, im not a distributer for those who think im selling it lol. But i have found out THAT works for me the best. Three or four tablets a night and by morning i get to "go" and feel better afterwards. Its like a colon cleanser but doesnt give me diareah, just a normal BM. Otherwise, trust me i wouldnt have a BM. Most medications they give us to treat certain illness cause constipation. The elavil i am taking was for two purposes. One was for the deep sleep for the fibro. Second its also used for phantom pain for amputees as well as for bowel pains that other meds cant help. In my case it was for the fibro AND the adhesions. Now that im up to 25 mgs i can tell a difference already in the pain wise (adhesion). Im hoping that when i go up to 50, it will be almost gone. If i have flareups on the adhesions i have another med , clindex i can take for the spasms and pain , but also limited because IT CAUSES CONSTIPATION too. Thats why i take the herblax and that helps with it. Trust me i have taken just about everything, from miralax to ducalax, to extra fiber and metamucil. Nothing has worked for me best like the herblax. I feel like i have a good BM with it.
    I have an appt on wed to see the doc. The incision is still open, being packed by my sweetie who plays with it while cleaning it, like its an extra mouth talking, hes weird, i swear, LOL. He squeezing it like its talking while hes talking in a different accent calling it mr gordo, i will kill him when i am better. LOL. I swear i am gonna kill him !! LOL. I just dont have the strenght right now.
    Im sure he doc couldnt finish the colonoscopy hon simply because your bowels are kinked somewhere, just make sure you ask him about it when you see them. Could be that it gets partially blocked and that causes pain. Thats what causes my pain as well.
    I feel sorry for your hubby hon . Fibro has sooooo many different symptoms that go with it, that some people just dont understand how bad it is. Its not just severe pain, it has numerous other things that go with it. You cant sleep at night, get that deep sleep which causes one to hurt, to have fibro fog, IBS. Im sure you have looked up fibro on the internet, if not, do so. It will give you an idea of what people with fibro go thru. We may look FINE on the outside, but ohhh honey, what goes on in the inside is one very painful thing. Look under the fibro board on here as well. You will get lots of info on that as well. Keeping you in prayer and that the Lord will send you an to give you a ride and be with you.
    Love and hugs sweetie,
    Jen

Old 06-07-2004, 02:49 PM   #9
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User

Hi Jen, Oh thank you so much for your prayers. I sure appreciate them. I just don't feel like I should drive for this test. Plus driving downtown makes me so nervous. I used to love to drive but I moved here 6 yrs ago and I don't know I don't like driving here that is for sure . Not down town. It isn't a big place but I am not used to traffic. The Good Lord has helped my vision so much but I had cateracts when I was 30 and 40 and my depth of field kind of isn't right. Know what I mean. But my vision is better.
    Anyway, Not sure why I went into all that... but.
    I just started taking the Benyl. It doesn't help me. Like the Levsin it didn't help either and from what I read they were almost alike. I have heard of that company online you mentioned. I will check that out. If I could find something to help me have a BM. I am like you nothing works. I take Zelnorm and it helps but it doesn't work as well as it did.
    When I went to the doctor last week we talked about so much and I didn't mean to but asking why he couldn't get through my colon completely didn't get asked. I think to be honest deep down I was scared to ask. The funny thing is that my pain is in the upper left side and lower left side. My right side never hurts but that is where he couldn't get down and through. I know he had the nurse push on my tummy and they said sometimes that helps it but it didn't. Or did I tell you that already.
    Yep, my husband aches alot. In his legs,hands and back and neck and other places and the pain moves around. it is odd. Since we have been married 6 yrs he had one day he never hurt. I feel so sorry for him. He gets alot of TLC and back rubs. He has trouble with the sleep problem too. Can't get into that deep sleep. He used to take the meds you take for an antidepressant but he stopped. It did help him some.Thank you again for praying for me. I know God is able to help me. I pray for you too. Your story of your husband playing with your incision had me rolling in the floor. You are contining in my prayers too.
    Bless you my friend , Polly

Closed Thread